Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reef Tour Suggestions for 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reef Tour Suggestions for 2008
    Posted: October 08 2007 at 11:52pm

I  had some ideas on ways to improve next years Reef Tour... they came to me while sitting around my rather empty Tour house this weekend...

Feel free to debate these or suggest alternatives or even totally different ideas Clap:

1)I believe we should have the Tour a little earlier in the year (like Sept instead of Oct)... Why? Well, the weather would probably be nicer, almost certainly drier, and our Tour homes in the more northern Counties wouldn't have to worry about snow like they did this year... in fact, I would suggest the "BBQ" for late August (around the 20 - 25th so it's not too hot out) with the Tour 2 weeks later (around Sept. 10th)...

2)  Make sure in advance there are no 'major' Utah events the same weekend as the Tour. Like General Conference Weekend OuchOuchOuch. I mean, that's a "biggie" here in Utah LOL Now, I'm not LDS, but some of my friends are - and the more religious ones don't do anything else during Conference Weekend except the Conference... not even Reef Tours of friends housesDisapprove

3)  We need to do alot more here in Utah County to attract more homes to the Tour. This is not just a "Club" responsibility; All of us Utah County WMAS members (including me) need to recruit more current WMAS members to join the 2008 Tour - and more non-members to sign up and join the Club. I mean, we have Aquatica, Reef Runners, Where's Nemo, Jays Jungle (and a whole bunch of Petco's and PetSmart's)... so you know the support for reefkeeping is plentiful throughout the County. But only seven Tour homes in all of UT Co....? That's just lame ConfusedConfusedConfused There were multiple towns in SL County with a dozen or more Tour homes just in the 1 town!!! A couple of people mentioned the idea of a seperate Tour Day for UT County... but I don't see that as something worth pursuing if we end up with only 7 Utah County Tour Homes Confused if we had 50, then, maybe...LOL 

4) How about some level of LFS "sponsorship" of the Tour? In exchange for allowing a nice poster-sized flyer in their storefront window, and maybe a stack of flyers on their counter, a store can be listed on all the Tour media as "an Official Sponsor of the 2008 WMAS Reef Tour..."

I would even go further... you ever see those "raffle" boxes that they have on some store counters, where you fill out a basic info ticket and drop it in the box?

Well, hHow about a Reef Tour Raffle where we give away a basic SW setup (like maybe a 55g tank / stand / PC hood, small skimmer, heater, maybe a couple of Mjs or Korallias...? Get all these LFS - since everyone knows that we steer alot of business their way - to 'donate' 1 item each (or a cash equivalent) and then we 'raffle' it off - no purchase necessary - to some lucky winner (announced) at the October meeting. Better yet, only non WMAS members are eligible to participate in the drawing - and the Club throws in a 1 year free membership! Clap We gain alot of exposure for the Tour (and a new member Smile), the LFS' gain a new customer and good PR for them, too!

The ironic thing about this suggestion is that I would bet the 'smaller guys' like a BST or Urban Aquatics or Ewalds would be alot easier to persuade to participate than the more "mainstream" stores... but I still think it would be a great PR move for the Tour , and the Club - - - and the stores!!!Big%20smile

5) Another "suggestion" (especially if the time of the year for the Tour was moved from Oct to Sept):

Instead of 9AM - 4 PM (7 hours) how about 10AM  - 6 (or even 7 or 8) PM?

Gain an hour (or more) of Tour time, easier to be prepared at 10AM than 9AM (unless you all like getting up at 6:30AM to  run outside putting up lawn signs, then back inside to scrape glass, wipe down salt creep and topoff your tanks LOL), and even at 8 PM in Sept it wouldn't be dark yet - unlike October when it starts to get dark at like 6:30 at night...

??? Question
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Sitaga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sitaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 11:55pm
I would like to comment on #5 of Carlso63's list.  I like the idea of extending the tour times, however I feel some people might not want to commit that much time to the tour.  Would it be possible to add something to the booklet that states "Tours times range from 9AM to 8PM." then each home could list its own hours.  If they don't want to open until 10 or 11AM, that's fine.. If they want to close up their homes at 4PM, that's fine also. 

Maybe that adds a complexity level that just isn't worth the effort, but I thought I would toss it out there anyway!

Bill
Tons of livestock including fish, coral, and inverts currently in stock. We also have Reeflo pumps, SeaChem additives, Brine Shrimp Direct foods, and ATI lighting in stock.
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 11:56pm
Great suggestions!! I agree with them all and would be willing to help in any area that I could.

DebBig%20smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 12:09am
I personally would rather see many smaller reef tours throughout the year, or even on different weekends of the same month.  Then you could have an east side SLC, west side SLC, UT county and Davis County.  Attendance would go way up just from club members.  We are, after all, the one's most interested in seeing all those beautiful tanks.  I hardly ever make it to SLC, but if I knew I could see a dozen tanks in SLC in one afternoon, I'd schedule myself out.

I also like Bob's suggestion about sponsoring a tank give away for non-members only.  They could enter 1 entry for each house visited, and those could be collected at each stop and submitted at the next meeting and a winner drawn.
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 12:18am
I like that idea about "1 entry per house visited" Fax !!! Clap
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 6:22am
I like the idea of different areas on different days but I don't know if we could support more that 3 areas, 4 if we could get enough people in Southern Utah to open their homes. I'm guessing it would take 5 or 6 to get a number of people to make the drive. I could see North, Salt lake area, Utah County and Southern Utah.

Mike

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 8:58am
Great suggestions! Keep them coming!

And remember to keep up the enthusiasm for next year!!!!!
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 10:01am
I would like to see a map made on google maps with all the locations placed on there, with the info of each location (address, name, tank description, directions) put on the map. It is easy to do, and it allows people to see exactly where all the locations are so they can better plan their trip.
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 10:10am
We could start with Salt Lake as the "Big Bang" kickoff area, with other areas on the following weekend for those that didn't quite get their fix, and so the SLC people could decide to go north (Davis) or south (UT).  St George will likely always be kind of independant, so it could be the same day as SLC.  I think very few would make the trip from SLC to St. George anyway, look how few made the trip from SLC to UT county.  (thanks Mike and Jeremy)
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 10:13am

The biggest one for us down here was the choice of weekends. Please, please, please choose a weekend in September and please do consult with the MB when choosing a date so that everyone can check to see if it conflicts with something else that would significantly detract from the event.

As far as getting LFS support, that has been a battle from the inception of the club and will always be.

The signs I put out on the main road and the arrowed signs pointing the way did more for me than the flyers at the LFS.

Next year I hope that I can take the time to do the advance planning to get the RT into the Spectrum Newspaper. The spreads in the newspaper have always been the single biggest source of publicity.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 10:21am
Oh and I agree with Bob, for UT county to be a success we need way more tanks on the tour.  I know there are way more tanks down here that did not participate.  SLC always has a big turn out because you can see so many tanks in a short amount of time.
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 2:14pm
I agree about the choice of weekends. 

I also think that the separate tours is a great idea, simply because so many of us have expressed interest in wanting to see others' tanks on the reef tour but can't because we're on the reef tour.

Earlier in the year is also a good idea because the chance for inclement weather rises as fall keeps going.

About the hours: Does anyone keep data on when 'peak' hours are?  Can we empirically take a stab or just think it through?  If we could target the peak hours that would probably help those who feel like they have to be on the tour for 12 hours.  I also think (no offense) that the individual hour times is a bad idea because it makes people have to work extra to plan which houses they're going to.  This is kind of a strange thing from an outsider's perspective-- just showing up at someone's door and asking to be let in.  The easier we make it on people the more likely they'll come.  I like the idea of keeping it at a good solid block, earlier or later is indifferent to me.  If you can't meet that time as a guest house on the tour, then don't worry about it and don't kill yourself to try to.

This was my first time on the tour.  If I'm still in Utah next year, I'll likely do it again.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 2:18pm
Oh, I have another one.

Do we currently advertise for the reef tour on the classified fish section of ksl.com classifieds?  I don't know if ksl.com offers that level of specificity when it comes to where your ads show up, but it could always be tried.
larhalli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larhalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 2:33pm
I think that depending on the number of tanks on the tour, it is impossible to see them all in one day.  Even in Salt Lake County. I was only able to see about half of the ones listed.  I think a map with the houses listed would also help.  Make it a two day event and give the people who are willing to show their tanks the option to whether they are willing to show their tanks on Sunday.  If not then those are the houses you would need to see on Saturday.  Different weekends might work better also, for North Utah and those South of Salt Lake County.  Salt Lake County could also be divided to East Salt Lake County and West Salt Lake County on separate weekends.  Maybe that would just be too crazy though and doing it on one weekend might be better.
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 5:43pm
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have been involved with the reef tour for quite a few years.  Here are some of my comments.

Carlso63
#1 We used to have the tour earlier in the year.  If the weather is good it sometimes hinders the turn out more then helps (people want to use up the last bit of summer).   I think the snow was just bad luck.
#2 I complete agree and have heard this from quite a few people.
#3 I agree.  The more people in an area the better the turn out.
#4 We have worked closely with LFS in the past and even had them on the reef tour.  The problem is many stores don't want to advertise an event that may steer their customers to a competitor.
#5 I agree.  10-6 seems like a good time.

Sitaga
I understand where you are coming from, but it is hard enough to plan tour visits as it is.  Imagine if you have to work around time schedules as well.

fj40fax
The reef tour is a major undertaking (whether it looks like it or not from the outside).  Multiple tour would make this even a bigger project, but we have looked into in the past and I ma sure it will be discussed for next year.

Kevin
This was attempted this year, but many homes are right next to each other and the map just looks clutter and give you no real information.  We would probably either have to have this an online only tool or have different maps for different areas.  We can definitely look into this next year.  One of the other problem we run into is that people submit changes very late.  We had people add to and removed from the tour a day before it happened. 

chris.rogers
We advertise as much as possible, but we are just a bunch of guys volunteering to get this thing done.  That is why we ask the members to help out with getting the word out.  Everyone should do whatever they can to promote the tour.  So next year feel free to take the initiative and make a post on ksl.

-------------------------------

The club is run by people that are willing to help.  Next year if you can make maps, get us on the news, make a post on ksl, or anything that would help please volunteer your time and talents.

I am sure the new presidency will review this thread before organizing next years tour.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 3:47pm
Jake: I would be hesitant to act in the name of the club without being in the presidency.  Would an act of that nature be kosher?  Getting the word out any which way possible (besides hostage situations, obviously...  LOL)

By the by, I'm not too bad with computer graphics.  I think next year I'll volunteer to help the maps.  I had some good ideas but was just too busy to implement them.  If Mrs. Rogers and I around next year, count me in for helping out.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 11:36am
I think an opinion for us who come down from Boise to see your event would be to break it up into 2 days... Give us the ability to make arrangements to see more tanks... and extend the times... Maybe put how long each house is willing to let people view... so from 8-8pm this house will be open for viewing which would help us prioritize.... We tried to get to as many tanks as possible but it was really hectic... and would have liked to see more...
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 1:57pm
That would have worked for me and possibly others. I understand you want to see lots of tanks but we (as you do too) like to show off our tanks and I would have enjoyed talking to all of you longer.

Mike

GARFVolunteer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2007 at 2:43pm
Having been the volunteer to arrange many of the IMAS reef tours I understand the pains one goes through. 

I am sure that scheduling it on the same week-end as General Conference was an accidental oversight.  I am glad it was on the week-end it was because it was the only week-end I could have made it.

I was impressed with the documentation provided this year.  When you think of the massive amount of time involved to create the documentation you will appreciate it.  The lovely and gracious Monica and I very seldom argue.  One time of the year I get in trouble is the reef tour and mostly because of the time involved.  So this year I was very lazy and just provided addresses.  No overall map, tank descriptions, driving directions, nothing just addresses...  However the lovely and gracious Monica and I were the perfect loving couple as we had the lowest showing ever.

Thanks,

Scott
President Idaho Marine Aquarium Society
A fair and biased reef hobbyist
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2007 at 2:46pm
Just to clarify....
Actually, the date was very well thought out.  If we had to do it again, we'd still do it on that date.  Selecting the date is process and we've learned how to select that date.  Hence the reason the tour was successful again this year.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic