Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feeding while on vacation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JayTee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayTee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feeding while on vacation
    Posted: October 16 2007 at 8:52pm
Does anyone have good ideas or recommendations on feeding fish while their owners are on vacation?  I know that the feeding blocks or cubes are available, but I fear that a lot of that food just pollutes the water and filters, but I hope I am wrong.  I need a quick way to take care of this, since my fish - sitter just backed out on me - the day before I leave.  Any tips would be great. 

Thank you.
Jeremy
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 8:57pm
If you are going to be gone less than 8 days I would recommend not feeding while on vacation. Less than 15 days you could have someone come in 1 day to feed 1 time - you having the exact portions of food set aside so their can be no mistake as to how much food gets put in the tank in your absence...

I would, however, suggest having someone you trust check in on your tank at least once daily, if possible. Simply to prevent a major catastrophe like a sump overflow, or stuck on heater, or short circuiting light fixture from going unnoticed for any length of time. If they find something wrong you can tell them what to do about it over the phone...

It will at least give you some 'peace of mind' while you are away...

Smile
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
JayTee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayTee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 9:02pm
Thank you, Carlos.  So are you saying that if I am gone for just 5 days, that my fish should be fine without any food for that period of time?
Jeremy
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 9:04pm

Yes.

But do have someone look in on your tank just to make sure everything is alright, even if no one feeds the fish...

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 9:15pm
I agree.  Have someone check in.
But don't feed your fish.
I only feed my tank every 10 days as it is.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Adam

Not to high jack this thread, but I currently feed my fish twice a day.  once with flake, then later in the day, I feed mysis shrimp to make sure my copperbanded gets something.  I am I feeding to often?  My fish always seem hungry I swear.  How often should I feed them? every 2 days? every 3 days?

Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 9:29pm
Call and get a quote from Bruce (EwaldsReef) .. not sure what he charges for just take sitting ..  
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by chk4tix chk4tix wrote:

Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Adam

Not to high jack this thread, but I currently feed my fish twice a day.  once with flake, then later in the day, I feed mysis shrimp to make sure my copperbanded gets something.  I am I feeding to often?  My fish always seem hungry I swear.  How often should I feed them? every 2 days? every 3 days? 

It is quite likely that you are feeding too much, if not too often. Healthy fish will always "seem hungry" and some will eat to the point of harm...

I read elsewhere in this forum that you wrote you are having trouble keeping corals alive - even soft corals. This may be related to your feeding regimen and (perhaps) excessive nutrients and organics in your water... 

chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 9:50pm
Wow, I never would have thought about that.  I guess I need to do more research.

bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 9:55pm

I fed my fish every day 2-3 times a day a long time ago. After asking here, I now feed once a week. Fish are still doing great and I've seen a reduction in nitrates. How many fish you you have in your tank, Keith?

28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 10:04pm
PLEASE have someone check on your tank.  We went to a family reunion for 4 days in July and came back to about a $700 loss of coral.  Our tanks overheated and killed over half of our corals.  The fish will be ok without food but trust me, you don't want to walk in after a nice vacation and see half your tank melted or just plan gone.  I would call Bruce to see what he charges to tank sit.

Deb
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 10:08pm
Inhabitants:
1 - Copperbanded
1 - Powder Blue tang
1 - Yellow Tang
2 - clown w/ host BTA
2 - yellow tail damsels
1 - lawnmower blenny
1 - foxface
1 - pink tube anenome

misc snails, hermits, stars

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 10:11pm

I must be in the minority with respect to feeding.

The question of feeding really depends on what fish you have. I feed my fish at least twice a day if not more. According to Scott Michael most fish in the Marine Fishes book should be fed two to three times a day. I spoke with Anthony Calfo briefly the last time he was here and he mentioned that lack of feeding may be why I had seen little to no growth with my tangs. Ron Shimek is also a big fan of feeding a reef tank.
Jeff Rasmussen

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 10:16pm
Feed as often as you want them to eat. They will eat every time you feed them. I feed mine daily.

Mike

cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by jeffras jeffras wrote:

The question of feeding really depends on what fish you have. I feed my fish at least twice a day if not more. According to Scott Michael most fish in the Marine Fishes book should be fed two to three times a day. I spoke with Anthony Calfo briefly the last time he was here and he mentioned that lack of feeding may be why I had seen little to no growth with my tangs. Ron Shimek is also a big fan of feeding a reef tank.

We feed our fish very frequently. With a lot of algae grazers in our tank we always have romaine available. Also have an automatic fish feeder that feeds 3x a day small amounts and we supplement with frozen also. It is great food for the corals. feed your fish well and your corals eat well. As long as you have sufficent skimming and water change routine you shouldnt worry about feeding too much
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 10:25pm
Jeff / Mike:

I think that he may have an issue with the quantity of food he is feeding rather than the frequency alone. And I agree that there is nothing wrong with daily (or even multi times a day) feedings -

as long as you are not overfeeding on total quantity.

Which IMO may be the case here...

JayTee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayTee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 10:27pm
Thanks for all of the input.  I thought everyone fed daily, and I thought that maybe I have been underfeeding.  Fish are healthy though.  But, I do have a nitrate issue that I have never been able to resolve.  Maybe my feeding habits are to blame. 

Can I ask, without holding anything against anyone, will I be fine if I go 4-5 days without feeding the fish?  Its a swin only tank, and I only have 3 fish - sailfin tang, regal tank (pretty big guy), and a six line wrass, along with a cleaner shrimp.  Will my fish starve?
Jeremy
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by cl2ysta1 cl2ysta1 wrote:

Originally posted by jeffras jeffras wrote:

We feed our fish very frequently. With a lot of algae grazers in our tank we always have romaine available. Also have an automatic fish feeder that feeds 3x a day small amounts and we supplement with frozen also. It is great food for the corals. feed your fish well and your corals eat well. As long as you have sufficent skimming and water change routine you shouldnt worry about feeding too much

Crystal:

I think the last 2 words in your post should not be "too much", but rather "too often"... If you feed too much food at one feeding a week than that 1 feeding is 'too much'. If you feed sparingly 5 times a day, everyday, plus have nori or lettuce for grazing... those 5 a days feedings may not neccesarily be 'too much'...

See my point? Big%20smile

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 10:31pm
No, The fish will be fine.
Jeff Rasmussen

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by JayTee JayTee wrote:

Thanks for all of the input.  I thought everyone fed daily, and I thought that maybe I have been underfeeding.  Fish are healthy though.  But, I do have a nitrate issue that I have never been able to resolve.  Maybe my feeding habits are to blame. 

Can I ask, without holding anything against anyone, will I be fine if I go 4-5 days without feeding the fish?  Its a swin only tank, and I only have 3 fish - sailfin tang, regal tank (pretty big guy), and a six line wrass, along with a cleaner shrimp.  Will my fish starve?

I think everyone will agree that you CAN go 4-5 days without feeding on occasion - with no harm to your fish Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic