Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Allergic" to saltwater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Allergic" to saltwater
    Posted: October 16 2007 at 11:17pm
Anyone else get really itchy skin and bumps when they have their arm in the tank? I generally try to wear aqua gloves, but they are kind of clumbsy. I always break out in a rash, and kyle never does. Just wondering if anyone gets the same thing
hairmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 11:19pm
i dont...
"Logic is your friend"
west side salon 250-5314
8370w 3500s magna.
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 11:20pm
Yes, I do...it drives me crazy.  Seems to only be on my right forearm though...never the left.
210 gallon Mixed Reef
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Camarofish Camarofish wrote:

Yes, I do...it drives me crazy.  Seems to only be on my right forearm though...never the left.

let me guess ... you never put your left arm in the tank!
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 11:22pm
its really rather inconvienent when you constantly have to have your hands in water. mixing new water fixing frags. etc etc
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 11:24pm
LOL  I do use the right more, but both do go into the tank.  I totally agree with the agitation. Luckily it is not to the point where it hurts...yet!
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 11:34pm
Yes I get that happens to me bad!  But my left arm hurts worse.  I can't figure out why but it itches so bad that is burns.  My arms turn red and itch and burn.  It doesn't happen to the hubby though.  I try to have him stick his hands in the tank when at all possible.
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
Greenanemone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenanemone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 11:38pm
Some people have small cracks in their skin(dry skin) and salt definately irritates that condition!  So even though I wouldn't classify that as an allergy---it is definately unpleasant!  My arms get this way occasionally especially after I have done yard work or such where plants scrape small scratches into the skin!  Red, blotchy, yuck!  Oh I forgot the itchy part!

Ryan
Nobody is perfect! I'm a nobody!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 11:38pm
Sometimes I get a little itching and irritated / burning sensation on my forearms - but sometimes not... which I think is wierd ConfusedLOL
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 3:51am
Mine does it too sometimes. Whenever I take my arm out of the tank I go straight to the sink and wash it off with warm water. This seems to help.

Mike

CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Mine does it too sometimes. Whenever I take my arm out of the tank I go straight to the sink and wash it off with warm water. This seems to help.

Mike

I agree.  I find that if I wash my arms right after it isn't so bad.  Also I try and put lotion on my arms (when I don't think they are going right back in the tank Embarrassed) to keep them from drying out.  It is much worse if you have any little scratches (and who doesn't).  It seems to help a lot but it still burns like crazy if I keep them in too long.Cry
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 10:25am
I've actually got sick and dizzy a few times after having my hands in the tank for a long time. 
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 10:52am
Get some arm length gloves!

I got a new pair in my garage if you're interested in purchasing them.Wink 
Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 11:21am
I have the same problem the gloves I got from Aimme's group order has been a life saver.
14g Nano Tooele
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 11:45am
Originally posted by rfoote rfoote wrote:

I've actually got sick and dizzy a few times after having my hands in the tank for a long time. 

Reactions can and do get worse each time. I would definitely wear gloves or keep your hands and feet outside the tank until the ride comes to a complete stop.

Mike

Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 11:54am
Reactions will continually get worse for most people as your body tried to defend itself better each time.  I have this problem with painting solvents--they dry my hands out and make them mildly itchy, and it's been slowly getting worse (good thing I don't paint many cars...). 

With salt water my hands/arms get really dry--even if I rinse them in water, and it's been slowly getting worse as well, though it doesn't itch or burn (the bristle worm bristles are a bigger minor inconvenience to me).  So I've had to start putting lotion on after everytime I work in the tank.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 12:06pm
I've never had a problem... I attribute that to the fact that I drink 8 ounces of tank water with breakfast every day though Big%20smile
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by sukie sukie wrote:

Get some arm length gloves!

I got a new pair in my garage if you're interested in purchasing them.Wink 

what kind of gloves are they?  how much and will you bring them to the meeting?  After setting up my 130, 3-4 hrs with arms in the tank, the reaction got so bad I went to the dr. and got some cream.  Now just a dip makes my arm break out and itch like crazy. Cry
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 11:43am
i have those aqua gloves which are ok for moving around rock and such. but if you need to move small frags they are quite clumbsy
trunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 4:15pm
Are you allergic to real ocean water also?

I have always been concerned about this warning label on instant ocean: "In case of contact [in dry form] completely flush skin with cool water and seek medical attention." I wonder what's in the stuff that it needs this kind of warning?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic