Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poormans Wavemaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
becken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poormans Wavemaker
    Posted: January 28 2010 at 9:22pm

ya after cutting it back, waaaay back, (I had to cut at an angle on the top to save the lip that holds the volute on), but I stuck my hand in there and I would estimate it at a little more than 90 Big smile, but hey I like it and my coral seem to like it.

75g with 40g breeder, Dion stand and canopy, G4 skimmer, mag 12 return with seaswirl, 2 AI Vega LEDs
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 8:28am
Glad you made it work.
45 degrees? Well, I cut the plastic volute(the round casing in which the impeller spins) back a little more to the right and a little more to the left so the alternate water streams can shoot out at closer to 90 degrees from each other.
Looking again at that old pic I realize that it's hard to see just how far back I cut the nozzle off. In fact, in that pic it wasn't cut back far enough to give the full 90 degree shift. That was for a Poormans Wavemaker I did for a 55 gal. The Maxijet was on one end of the tank. A full 90 degree shift would have been too much. The full tank pic is here in a link to my tanks pictorial in the Tips and How to's section http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244

I have also since learned that smoothing out the inside edges helps the water stream flow straighter, fuller and faster.Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 28 2010 at 8:53am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
becken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 6:51pm
ya I thought I cut it back far enough, it looks pretty close to the picture, I can cut it back a little further and try that
I cut it back way far, and I was misunderstanding the "90 degrees" (its more like 45) for some reason I was thinking it would blow down and that just blew my mind how it would do that, but I understand and it works!!!  Thanks for the help!

Edited by becken - January 27 2010 at 7:12pm
75g with 40g breeder, Dion stand and canopy, G4 skimmer, mag 12 return with seaswirl, 2 AI Vega LEDs
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 4:32pm
Is the nozzle cut completely off, far enough back that the water can shoot out one direction and then the other? Like this O<
becken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 12:51pm
yes 900
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 12:48pm
Is it a Maxijet?
becken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 12:26pm
I'm not sure I understand this, I tried it, but it does not work it just blows in the same direction.  I cut it of pretty close, and it looks like the picture, I plugged it in and unplugged it and plugged it in, and got no positive result.  Then I plugged it into a timer and manually turned the knob, and got the same effect.  I didn't see how it would start in the opposite direction, but I decided to give it a try, but afraid I might have just defaced my powerhead.
Rioreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rioreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2009 at 4:56pm
So is this too much flow or ok, I have a 90G with 2 returns both mag 9.5 hard plumbed. Then I have one korilla 1 and two korilla 3s.. Yeah I have mostly softys and LPS only 4 SPS going right now.  So to much or ok becuse things are growing?
I dont mean to brag but, yeah it's 6ft long.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:20am
Bump
Jhamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 3:44pm
Well with everything said...I dont necessarily think that more flow is better. Maybe under certain circumstances such as tanks filled with alot of sps or tanks that have alot of obstructions but tanks with alot of LPS or tanks with alot of softies should not have alot of flow, enough flow is exactly that enough flow.

As far as making waves goes I really think that it can be very benificial to LPS and softies but not at all to SPS from the articles I have read today it sounds to me that in almost every experiment the SPS has always used morphology to make the conditions right for water flow. I dont think that LPS and softies really have the ability to use morphology to condition the flow to be "just right" there for making waves more benifical.

Edited by Jhamb - November 07 2007 at 3:51pm
Jeremy

40B INW

USAF
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 1:51pm
Maybe.
It sure does help with those other items... but then again you may just be beating up the frogspawn.  With enough flow it will certainly tear apart.

Adam
ps- I've seen frogspawn grow in no flow
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jhamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 1:47pm
Ok so let me know if I am getting this right.  I increase the flow in my aquarium and my frogspawn my not "look" like it is enjoying the increased flow because the polyps are not "fully" extended.  But in reality it is much happier due to the increase of flow so that it can do what it needs to do as far as gas exchange, photoinhibition, photosynthesis, respiration, etc.

Am I right?
Jeremy

40B INW

USAF
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 1:23pm
Thumbs%20Up

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Great articles Adam.  I like his methods and reasoning.  He'd be a good speaker for a club meeting.

I agree. Great articles and could be a good speaker! Thanks for posting those links.

Mike

Now just imagine how great it would be if someone making these suggestions was on the presidency.  They'd probably get to choose what month we bring in the speaker, and they'd probably get to spend the whole day with the speaker.

Just imagine how great that would be!

Adam
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Currently, I think pushing all the water one way for a time (30 seconds to 4 hours) and then pushing it all back the other way is best.

Adam

Hmm, I tend to think that the only way that this would be the best flow would be in the gyre system (which is set up to have very little resistance/obstruction and aims to produce a laminar flow) so if you toss all your live rock out and then create the baffle then this would make sense to me. If there is rock work then I would say the best flow is the most flow possible (which goes back to random flow). I really liked the data that riddle did with the flow meter. If you think about flow in the terms of those docs (flow, distance, and obstruction) and not gph I bet most people have too little flow.

Edited by jeffras - November 07 2007 at 12:32pm
Jeff Rasmussen

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 12:31pm
You can certainly change the growth of your coral by the type of water motion!  Let me find the link when I get home today...

Adam
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Great articles Adam.  I like his methods and reasoning.  He'd be a good speaker for a club meeting.

I agree. Great articles and could be a good speaker! Thanks for posting those links.

Mike

Jhamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 12:06pm
Ok i think i better understand what you are explaing

I can see the reasoning behind the flow changing directions. 

In the second article is says "An older study by Dr. David Bottjer" basically describes how A. cervicornis colonies where growing away from the main direction of flow in higher flow envroments and they grow bigger and less dense in lower flow enviroments. does this mean that we can manipulate the growth of corals in our aquariums just bast on water flow or do you think it needs to be more large scale situation such as an ocean?
Jeremy

40B INW

USAF
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 11:54am
Well take a mushroom for example.  (Although not technically a coral it works in this example)

It is flat.  Therefore it catches food that falls on it... not food that blows by it.  So it needs slow flow for food to fall on it and remain their long enough to be collected and ingested.
So if in deep water away from fast currents, it probably receives less light.  Therefore it doesn't overheat tissue in doesn't need to rid that energy.  Plus, it would have to adapt to lower light levels for photosynthesis (more accurately it would have to adapt to the repercussions of zooxanthellae photosynthesis).
Many acros catch food flying by them.  Sometimes the flow is so high the polyp can't face forward but instead is pushed back by the current.  These polyps grab food "backhanded" as the plankton swirls by them.  They also have small polyps to avoid getting torn apart by hight flow.  They also form mucous nets to protect them at low tide when they are out of the water... but then they need high flow to blow off those nets.

Unfortunately with all the varieties of corals and invertebrates out there, I can't pin down what I think is best for water flow.  I changed my mind every few months on this.  Currently, I think pushing all the water one way for a time (30 seconds to 4 hours) and then pushing it all back the other way is best.

Adam
Jhamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 11:44am
Yeah but it basically boils down to all of those mentioned above which would occur better in higher flow conditions.

But my question is that for some of the corals that need slower flow and seem to thrive better why and how do they do it?
Jeremy

40B INW

USAF
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic