Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

G3 running too wet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
never2late View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G3 running too wet
    Posted: November 07 2007 at 6:51pm
Any suggestions on how too "thicken" my G3 skimmer output. The cup is filling every couple hours and it isn't dark green. I've dropped the outflow tube as low as it would go and i've raised the skimmer so the water level is just above the intake. I'm thinking of cutting the outflow tube so it will go lower still, but I don't want to ruin my skimmer! Any suggestions?? Just thought of something. Since I am producing so much foam should I restrict the venturi?? Confused
"Life's been good to me, so far"---Joe Walsh
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 6:58pm
Is the skimmer new or has it been running for a while?

Mike

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 7:39pm
There are a couple of factors. How deep is the water that the skimmer is sitting in? How far away from the top of the skimmer is the water inside the skimmer?
Jeff Rasmussen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 9:17pm
I bought the skimmer used, good shape with a nice big pump. It's sitting in a 75 gal sump/refugium. I built an acrylic shelf so the pump and skimmer are about 6" off off tank bottom. Skimmer sits in about 8'' of water currently. Skimmer was working really well when I was just skimming refugium, but now that I've got the whole system finally running (YEAH!) it's skimming really wet.
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 9:23pm
I think your problem is that the water level outside the skimmer is too shallow. My g2 sits in about 16-18 inches of water. Do you have a picture?
Jeff Rasmussen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 9:40pm
Heck, I can barely e-mailOuch.!! I'll try sinking it deeper, and see what happens, But that won't be until I get off work, at midnight. Thanks for the suggestion. Since I am new to this, and frustration seems to get the better part of my rational judgement, I appreciate your help. 
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 9:51pm
No problem. Let us know how it works out. 
Jeff Rasmussen

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 11:43pm

Take the pump out. Could be that the nipple connecting to the air tube is somewhat clogged. Rinse it in vinegar for a bit - it may help. My euroreef always had a tendency to get clogged there.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic