Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refugium Lighting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lilbeag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilbeag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refugium Lighting?
    Posted: March 25 2004 at 7:13pm
I need to light my new refugium. It's small only about 8 gl. I went to HD and could not find anything I liked. I need to light a 12"x12" area. I dont need top of the line. Just something that works good.
Thanks
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2004 at 8:11pm

At HD did you check out the "twist" power compact flourescent bulbs? They sell a "daylight" 75 watt bulb that goes in any common socket for about $7-8. They are 6500k so, nice enough color. I use one on my 5 gal. 'fuge and it grows macros and coraline quite well. I also have one of those and two 60 watt normal twist pc's as the only lighting on a 30 gal. tank and it's growing coraline and caulerpa very well too. If you don't have one they also sell reflector clamp-on lamps for about $6. at $13-14 I don't think you'd find better refugium lighting.

Edited by chrisslc
Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 12:18am
Good call Chrisslc. There are also the Compact Fluorescent flood lights by Lights of America. They are extremely bright and the best value for lighting a ten gal or larger refugium. if they burn out there are replacement bulbs for less than $10 and if the ballast goes bad, HD has replaced even 6 month old lights for me! Oh and HD even has rubber insulated sockets for the standard screw in PC lights. All a little DIY mind you...

I cannot imagine going into Home Depot and not finding anything I liked!

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 1:05am

I just bought the Lights of America 65 watt flood light. Its very bright and its waterproof. Get ready to do some wiring though since it comes with no plug. 

lilbeag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilbeag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 1:28pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll head back to HD.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2004 at 9:31am
If you still don't find something you like try these... I have a 14" T-5 florescent light over my refugium.  Most people tell me that it is overkill for a refugium, but it only cost $15.  With that much light I propogate mushrooms in my refugium.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2004 at 11:52am
Originally posted by wsinbad1 wsinbad1 wrote:

I have a 14" T-5 florescent light over my refugium.  Most people tell me that it is overkill for a refugium, but it only cost $15.  With that much light I propogate mushrooms in my refugium.

It's always been my opinion that the refugium light should be brighter than the main tank light. You want algae to grow there so that it doesn't grow so well in the main tank. If it weren't for all that algae you would probably grow SPS in the refugia.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 12:03pm
I'm using a 17 w "under the cabinet" fluorescent fixture over my refugium. It cost about $7 at Home Depot. Seems to work well. It is on the low side as far as intensity is concerned, but it is also on the low side for price. Caulerpa and corraline grow well under this light.
lilbeag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilbeag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 8:39pm
I bought the twist bulb and the cheap clamp fixture. Very happy with it. Thanks to all
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2004 at 12:40am
Lilbeag, I'm happy to know that you were able to find what you liked. I would be interested to read what changes you observe in your tank over the next week or two with the new lighted refugia.
What light cycle (on-off) are you going with? RDP?

Edited by Mark Peterson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic