Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC question
    Posted: February 11 2003 at 6:21pm
 I have heard a few conflicting stories about pc vs vho. I was hoping that someone could help me clear up the confusion? Wich is better overall for growing corals? Wich one lasts longer? I was told that you need to be replaced vho lights every 1 year and that you need only replace pc lights when they burn out. Also one more question. Is there anything that will compete with a mh?  Any input would be very helpful. Thank You
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2003 at 12:45am

Since my experience is only with pc lights I can only tell you what I've learned about them.  They do need to be replaced before they burn out.  I've heard they start to lose intensity some where between 1 year and 1 and 1/2 years.  I also think it could depend on how many hours they are ran each day.  I replace my pc lights after a year and a half.  I have'nt noticed a loss of intensity between the old bulbs and the new bulbs yet. 

My opinion on mh vrs. any  otherlights is that it depends on what kind of live stock you intend on keeping.  Personally I'm very happy with my pc's.  I have a nice variety of corals that do well under this lighting.  However there are animals such as sps corals, xenia, clams, etc. that require more light,such as what they can get with mh lights.

I also enjoy the simplicity with pc's.  

I hope this helps until some can answer all your questions.

Steve 

Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2003 at 11:40pm
PC can give you a higher intensity light in a smaller area than VHOS, but other than that I think they are about the same.  I don't really think it matters unless you are tight on space in the hood.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2003 at 9:07pm

I have a comment about the question you posed that remains unanswered.

Yes there is something that competes with Metal Halide and we all have it!

Sunlight!!!

A tank using any type of lighting can keep acropora and clams if it gets at least 4 hours of direct sunlight in a south facing window. A tank like this will need plenty of algae control and should not house carnivores like Wrasses. Carnivores eat the "microverts" like gramaras that eat microalgae even before hermit crabs and snails can get to it.

BTW - other lights like mercury vapor and halogen have been tried but abandoned as unsuccesful.

Mark         "Thinking outside the box."

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic