Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xenia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xenia
    Posted: August 16 2002 at 10:46am
I have tons of Pulsing/Waving Hand Xenia. Thought it was cute at first, and it filled in nicely. Now it is way to crowded and I need to get rid of some, if not all. I also have a sneaking suspicion that it is consuming most of the calcium in the water. So, two question: Does anyone want some before I summarily dismiss it. And, if I want to take it out, what would be the best method. I have tried to take out some before, but the smell of the fluid inside them was horrendous. Plus, when you just rip it out, it leave little pieces on the rocks that grow back immediately. Please help ! :-)
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2002 at 10:47am
Wow - what was up with that font !!! Sorry about that.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2002 at 11:50am

I would seriously recommend removing some of the rocks with xenia, and selling them.  Or you can just give them away if you have that much.  We are having a swap meet in September, you could bring them to the meeting.  Also many people in the club have sold them to pet stores. 

Although these look like a weed in your tank, I wouldn't try to kill them.  You are lucky to have them doing so well, and I would try to culture them.

Adam

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2002 at 6:08pm
By all means don't murder them.  If you are priveledged enough to have Xenia flourish in you tanks then don't make the rest of us who have a hard time with Xenia feel stupid by killing it.  Hahaha!  I agree with Adam, culture them.  If you have a small spare tank, throw them in there and grow them up, then sell them.  If you are giving them away and just want a place for them to go, call me, I have some friends who would love some free Xenia.  Things have certaintly died in my tanks, but I feel bad whenever things die.  From what I understand, Xenia is hard to keep alive through shipping so most of the it in the pet stores has been grown then up for sale.
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2002 at 6:16pm
That is interesting that some people don't have good luck with xenia.  In my tank it does TOO well.  I have tryed selling it and have offered in a few places to give some of mine away.  The local stores don't seem to want any because they have learned that it can overrun a tank.  It has done it in my tank.  What I have ended up doing was ripping it off and leaving the feet behind to allow it to grow new again.  Once it reaches maturity it starts to spread then I rip it off again.  Sorry to say but I end up throwing the parts I have ripped off in the toilet.  But this doesn't actually kill it because it always leaves the feet behind to grow again.  I have some xenia on some tiny pieces of live rock if anyone wants any, let me know.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2002 at 9:39pm

Hi everyone out there,I'm just starting putting corals in my tank and I'd love to take some Xenia off of your hands.

Terry  E-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks!!

DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2002 at 9:54pm
Got rid of most of it - but it is growing back rapidly. So come by this weekend, and I will get some for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic