Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are you ready....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are you ready....
    Posted: March 29 2004 at 9:04am
to be To'M? PM me if you are!

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 9:23am
(if nobody volunteers, I'm going to make up an owners name for my
empty specimen tank. It's got a funky looking wrasse in it right now
and a snail and a lot o' caulerpa....)

Pretty cool set up, huh? Is your tank almost this cool? Show it off!!!
Or I'll have to show someotherchicks tank.....
Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 2:41pm

Hey Suzy, would our tank qualify for TO'M? We are coming up on the one year mark, so our stuff is not huge like some other tanks.  Oh yeah, that's right you still have not come by to look at our tank so you do not know what it looks like . . . . Well, Jared and I are neophite reefers. 

OK, never mind.  We know good things happen in reef tanks ever so slowly . . .   We will try and be patient and grow up a bit yet. 

We are just glad nobody saw our cyano fields.  Heck, we could have run a swather through that stuff and baled it up for nutrient export by the truckload.  But its all gone now!

Come see us Suzy.  Give us some pointers and see how your reef babies are doing over here.

Richard
Alpine, UT
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 3:27pm

I actually did get to see the red fields , But don't worry my tank went through the exact same phase. I think that's probably just what it was too, a phase. I think as things are balancing late into the tanks maturity phosphates just get a hayday as the last bacterial populations even out. At least this seems like it should be true so it must be. I wouldn't expect it would get like that again. When I was there jared mentioned that you haven't started a refugium area in your sump yet for want of lighting. Has that changed? if not have you read the recent thread on refugium lighting? it can be done quite simply and the benefits of algae in the system can be great (phospate, nitrate, etc. uptake) as well as the added bonus of a good denitrification area and a breeding ground for beneficial copepods.

As for ToTM, if it's intended to showcase innovative ideas and interesting tanks than I'd say Richard and Jared's showpiece is an excellent candidate. Their rockwork is well arranged and provides for great arrangement opportunities, They do have some great corals growing in already and many cool 'shrooms. It's one to see, and their share to prepare philosophy is a good one.

Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 3:40pm
You are on!!!! Start getting some pics!!!!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 3:44pm
Can I use "neophite" in the write up?
sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 9:28pm
After one year as reefers you drop your neophyte status and become experienced reefers.

I personally think aquariums in all phases of maturity are most welcome to be tank's of the month.   
Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2004 at 6:33am
really? at the one year mark? sweet I can call myself an "experienced reefer" now!!! it's been more than a year since I set up the tank but almost exactly a year since it began becoming a reef. at what point do my thumb start turning blue?
Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2004 at 6:50am
When it's been underwater so long that it doesn't have the strength (or the good sense) to come up for air
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic