Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Election Committee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 2:09pm
Larry, I think you have a very valid point.  How do you know who really wins if the people running are the one's counting.  In any possition, people do not like changeg and will do anything to keep things from changing.  The main point of my post is to let Larry know, I think he is right.
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 3:28pm
I think there were some good points made during this thread.  If there were more then one president running then this may be a bigger issue.  Either way whomever is on the presidency next year can discuss this and make the voting process even better in the future.

Edited by Jake Pehrson - December 04 2007 at 3:30pm
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Jake Pehrson Jake Pehrson wrote:

I think there were some good points made during this thread.  If there were more then one president running then this may be a bigger issue.  Either way whomever is on the presidency next year can discuss this and make the voting process even better in the future.

You are correct on that one. LOL

larhalli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larhalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 4:03pm
I just want everyone to know that I am more than pleased with the present administration and council.  I am looking forward to another great year as well.  My suggestion was just that a suggestion.  In our democratic society we expect election results to be posted.  The president of this club however needs to have people in his council he can trust and depend on.  For the most part we all get along, we are like a family which has it's problems once in a while, people's feelings get hurt but the presidency seems to handle those small things for the best and make things right again.  I would however like to know if the individuals I voted for were in the top four and would have liked to know that for the simple reason that if they don't do a good job we could vote them out next year and get some one in there that will do a great job.  Maybe we should not vote for the council at all and just let the president make that decision for who he wants in his council.
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by larkhall larkhall wrote:

Maybe we should not vote for the council at all and just let the president make that decision for who he wants in his council.

We have discussed that in past years.  Having elected council members is a good idea IMO.  It make the presidency not be so like minded.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 7:05pm
I agree. Some of them should be elected.

Mike

larhalli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larhalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 8:47pm
I am sorry to bring this up again but as you all must know by now that voting is important to me.  I am very pleased by what the past administration has done, but what is wrong with an election committee?  I still think that individuals that are running for office should not be allowed to count the ballots.  Did the past presidency ever discuss this subject and what were their decisions?  If it is still the opinion of the presidency that the presidency should be appointed why do we really have elections?  Is this an issue that should be like a proposition vote?  One that maybe the members should be allowed to vote on?
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 9:27pm
I agree with Larry 100%....I do think that there should be a commitee....also after reading through all of these posts, I think that half, 50%, 1/2, of the commitee members should be elected......I realize that the President of the United States appoints his own cabin, but that is why all of Congress is ellected, that way a 'dictator' cannot rule and take control....not saying that the club is run this way....

For the Presidency, I think that he/she should have control over who is Vice President, Sectretary, and two other positions. This would alow for 'equal' numbers of votes........

I am not saying that there two parties in the club, but maybe just more oppinions out there......

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 9:45pm

What I think would be worthwhile is finding more than one person willing to run for president. Believe me, when the current president is ready to take a breather, it is VERY difficult locating someone willing to take over that position and convince them to run. You will notice that the last five or more years, the president has ran unopposed. I don't think this is because there aren't differing opinions, I thinks it because being president, or on the council for that matter, takes work - and most are not willing to step up.

If Larry and Jerry want to count the votes, I say stay after the December meeting and count the votes. Provide this information to Adam (or whomever becomes president) and then, let them run the club. I'm still 100% against posting vote totals.

BTW, if you want change, now is the time. Proclaim your nomination and campaign away.

Edited by Shane H - November 10 2008 at 9:54pm
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 10:20pm
I remember this thread.... Can I be President??? (just kidding....I'm not that insane.LOL)

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 8:26am
Heil's idea isn't bad at all.  If anyone wants to count the votes, and you aren't running, just stay after the December meeting and count them up.
I'd rather someone else count them than me..... it is great to say "don't blame me I didn't count the votes"

By the way.... seeing how many people have accepted nominations there may not even be reason to count votes.  It doesn't look to me like many people are willing to do the work of being on the presidency.Embarrassed

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jpiotrowski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpiotrowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 8:56am
It doesn't look to me like many people are willing to do the work of being on the presidency.
This attitude sure keeps me from running.  Just because I don't run I am not willing to do the work?  I would probably win the overall vote but lose the electoral.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 9:05am
LOL John, if you are willing to help out then I say run!  Some years everyone who ran got in.... and that actually happens all the time in the smaller clubs. 
Adam
PeggySue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeggySue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 10:12am
Larry, thanks for bringing this subject up again, it's an important one.

Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

LOL John, if you are willing to help out then I say run!  

I agree with John on this.  Why is it that you have to be on the presidency to help out?  And why can't you help out if you aren't on the presidency?
Famous last words, "Parks, Recreations & Tourism"
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 10:17am
i'll run, this outta be fun
Ermm
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 10:17am
gotta give adam a run for his money.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 10:21am
That is a great point!!!!! 
You certainly don't have to be on the presidency to help out.  We can use help from everyone.  And, some club members help out in ways we greatly appreciate.  For instance Carolyn and those refreshments, the club members who donate corals to the frag swaps, club members handing out reef tour flyers, club members being on the reef tour. 
There are a lot of ways to help out!

I was just trying to say that if you know you have certain skills or the time to give, please run for the presidency.  For instance if you like giving presentations we need a TOTM person, if you like working with spreadsheets we need a membership person, if you have the ability to make newsletters we need a seastar person, if you have webdesign experience we have projects for you, we need someone to run the merchandise table, etc. 

If people are thinking about helping the club, I'd encourage them to run for presidency because I'd love to see them get a position where we can all continuously benefit from them.

Adam
PeggySue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeggySue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 10:22am
Originally posted by pa_reptileman4 pa_reptileman4 wrote:

gotta give adam a run for his money.

excellent!

Edited by PeggySue - November 11 2008 at 11:06am
Famous last words, "Parks, Recreations & Tourism"
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 10:23am
Because that's the job you volunteered for . . .

Not all the members/nonmembers see it - but the to maintain the club is a lot of work and it's based on the few people that 'volunteered' to give their time to do it. 

Sometimes we call upon the members for help but most of the time it's up to the elected/appointed presidency members to keep the forum up, meetings every month, etc.

If you want to help then run. 
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 10:26am
Oh, and I should mention that my favorite people are whoever the people are that set up and put away chairs.  I don't care if they are presidency members, club members, visitors, kids, friends, whoever.... people that jump in to help out get my appreciation Thumbs Up

Adam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic