Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Election Committee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 10:31am
ok so maybe i wont run for president, but i wouldnt mind being on the presidency
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 10:34am
Shane, I'll go nominate you....
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
larhalli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larhalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 10:51am
Wow!  You can count me in for helping to count the ballots then.  I would love to help out more also.  Unfortunately there are Thursday nights when we have the meetings that sometimes I can not make it to them.  For this reason I would not seek a position on the Presidency.  I agree with Sukie that if you volunteer to do the job you must be there and do it.  I for one, appreciate the dedication of our club's officers and all they do.  I am sure it takes a lot of your time.  I am glad we have those few who are dedicated enough to do the job.  I am also sure there are more people that would love to help out but are just not certain on how they would fit in with those already that are officers or on the Presidency.  Maybe they are just a little bit too shy to get involved but would be an asset and could really help out.  I say just get involved.
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
PeggySue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeggySue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 11:12am
I don't have anything to say here, I just want to watch this thread and I can't find a 'watch thread' button.  So I'm posting instead.
Famous last words, "Parks, Recreations & Tourism"
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 11:23am
Larry - thats the spirit. Believe me, there is a lot more going on than spending time at the meetings. We agreed as a presidency that meetings are mandatory for council members, but as you know things do come up and many of us missed some meetings last year.

As to the question - why do you have to on the presidency to help out? We have tried multiple times to form committees for special events; BBQ, reef tour, Valentines meeting and some have been hugely successful, but unfortunately most have not. It ends up that the presidency members do the work when committee members fall out. What naturally occcurs is that it just becomes easier to do the work, than to form a committee.

If someone wants to help, but cannot commit to being part of the presidency, they should just speak up. Just ask Jerry what happens when you speak up. Smile You get a monthly meeting to do!  We would love to have someone volunteer to put away chairs or shovel snow at the meeting house, someone who would post flyers for our special events, someone who would drive our guest speaker to the airport at 7:30 am on a Friday, or someone who would decorate for special events. There is plenty going on that anyone could help with - just stop one of the presidency and say - "Hey, how can I help?"
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 11:24am
At the top of the thread there's a button that looks like this - on the right side:

If you click on the button it will give you an option to watch the thread.

As for the election committee - I am tired of this issue coming up each year.  We should just do it this year and post the results.  Elections are all about popularity contests, if you don't get the numbers you were hoping for and still get appointed then obvious we think that you would benefit the club with your help. 

It's all about the club in the end!
Thumbs Up

Edited by sukie - November 11 2008 at 11:26am
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 11:24am
Originally posted by EagleEyez5 EagleEyez5 wrote:

I agree with Larry 100%....I do think that there should be a commitee....also after reading through all of these posts, I think that half, 50%, 1/2, of the commitee members should be elected......I realize that the President of the United States appoints his own cabin, but that is why all of Congress is ellected, that way a 'dictator' cannot rule and take control....not saying that the club is run this way....

For the Presidency, I think that he/she should have control over who is Vice President, Sectretary, and two other positions. This would alow for 'equal' numbers of votes........

I am not saying that there two parties in the club, but maybe just more oppinions out there......

I have to agree with both Larry and Jerry here. Allthough, I do think there are more than one party, and it goes beyond how to set up your tank. I have seen a ton of smart well thought out ideahs thrown under the bus.  The statement "I am not going to do this or that" really shouldn't be the position of the president/ presidency. We should be finding new ways to grow the club and new ways to increase the range of reef/fish husbandry.

I work 2 jobs now and can no longer make the thursday meeting or any weekday meeting. so I can't really offer to help as part of the presidency unless those meetings are on saturdays.

Jeremy

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 11:27am
I have seen a ton of smart well thought out ideahs thrown under the bus.

Jeremy - please share.  And please define "thrown under the bus".
larhalli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larhalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 11:30am
Originally posted by PeggySue PeggySue wrote:

I don't have anything to say here, I just want to watch this thread and I can't find a 'watch thread' button.  So I'm posting instead.

Amie, there is a watch topic button on the top.  Click on Topic Options.

Edited by larhalli - November 11 2008 at 11:31am
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

I have seen a ton of smart well thought out ideahs thrown under the bus.

Jeremy - please share.  And please define "thrown under the bus".

Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

Larry,

You make some great points. Don't think the election is somehow rigged. The top four vote getters become part of the presidency, others are appointed by the president and vice president as necessary. You may notice that the number of presidency members varies year to year, whereas the number we vote for (4) does not. Traditionally, appointees have been pulled from those who accepted their nominations because it is assumed that they want to be more involved. The reason I don't publish the actual vote count is to avoid hurting anyone's feelings. If the results remain confidential, then everyone on the presidency council should consider themselves the top vote getter.

In fact, last year Silcox and I (who ran unapposed) did not get the highest vote count!  I appreciate your concerns and also your recommendation. If you'd like to be involved in the counting of votes, I am more than open to that, but we are not going to post the vote totals per candidate. 

BTW, your last sentence couldn't be more true! Thumbs%20Up

there are other examples of good Ideas- like why don't we have a frag swap the the members can bring their own corals to sell. the club could make money by either charging a cover charge or 10% of the sold corals or a table fee.

I am not saying that every idea got thrown under the bus I am say that the presidency should not have that attitude so please don't take this as a personal attack it real isn't.
it is about find improved ways to move the club forward. I really have a lot of respect for all those who have put in all the extra time for the club.

Jeremy
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 11:42am
I would fix my spelling grammer errors but I don't want anyone to think I wrote something mean and then took it back.

Jeremy
PeggySue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeggySue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 12:02pm
Thanks Sukie and Larry, I found the Watch Thread option.  I'll use it in the future.
Famous last words, "Parks, Recreations & Tourism"
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by bannshy bannshy wrote:

there are other examples of good Ideas- like why don't we have a frag swap the the members can bring their own corals to sell. the club could make money by either charging a cover charge or 10% of the sold corals or a table fee.

I am not saying that every idea got thrown under the bus I am say that the presidency should not have that attitude so please don't take this as a personal attack it real isn't.
it is about find improved ways to move the club forward. I really have a lot of respect for all those who have put in all the extra time for the club.

Jeremy

I was the one who made a suggestion for changing the frag swap based on many previous frag swaps I've been to in other states what work very well
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 12:47pm
I know, I loved the idea Cl2ysta1 that is one of the reasons I think you should be vice president with EagleEyez5.

Please except the nomination
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29135&FID=9&PR=3

Jeremy
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 12:50pm
The presidency reviews each recommendation at presidency meetings. We address questions like: 1) Do we have the resources (manpower / money) to implement this recommendation? 2) Are there other websites that offer this service? 3) Will the general population of the club utilize this recommendation? 4) What are the maintenance requirements of this recommendation? 5) Has this recommendation been tried before? What were the results?

I record the comments and we take and informal vote and I post the decision on the MB (I am deliquent in this regard). There is no bus and no throwing. We review each recommendation regardless of who posted it or how crazy it may initially sound.

I know this sounds pretty boring and mostly controversy free (bummer), but thats how its done.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 1:26pm
Just to back up what Shane said, we do review and talk about each recommendation made to the presidency at our presidency meetings.  Many of the recommendations made by members have been implemented (some have been implemented and then abandoned due to various reasons (resources, money, logistics, lack of interest/support etc.)).
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 2:14pm
I appreciate your open answers - again I am not trying to stir up "drama" - I am stating what I want in a presidency. Maybe the term "thrown under the bus" was the wrong term. sorry I really don't want to offend anyone.

Jeremy
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by cl2ysta1 cl2ysta1 wrote:

I was the one who made a suggestion for changing the frag swap based on many previous frag swaps I've been to in other states what work very well

This is the kind of suggestion that we need more of.....which is why you will be a great asset to the club in a leadership position.....

VOTE FOR CRYSTAL
and by association, Jerry for president

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
larhalli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larhalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 5:14pm
Wow!  I guess we are getting people involved.  This is going to be an interesting year.  I noticed that someone forgot to mark Mike Savage in bold.  I am sure he accepted the nomination.  I am sure it may be just an oversight.
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 6:31pm
yes it should be a very interesting year.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic