Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LOGO CONTEST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LOGO CONTEST
    Posted: April 03 2004 at 1:39pm

For those who haven't heard.  We are having a logo contest.  The idea is to design a new logo for the Wasatch Marine Aquarium Society.  We would like to keep the Sea Star as the basic symbol. 
In addition, we need a Banner to use for weblinks to our site.  If you have graphic skills please put them to work and help get us a new Sea Star logo for our club and banner for our site.  These two graphics do not have to look alike or have the same style or anything like that. If you design the logo the presidency selects...

1st place- Logo $50 gift certificate to any pet store of your choice
1st place- Banner $50 gift certificate to any pet store of your choice
Runners Up- Not sure, we'll figure something out.

Thanks and good luck,

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
dianatabor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianatabor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2004 at 5:27pm
Adam - When's the contest deadline? How do you want us to submit our entries? Where, exactly, will the banner go? Do you or Jake have general dimensions for either in mind?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2004 at 6:56pm

For dimensions, you'll have to have Jake answer that.  For deadline (duh how could I forget) I think we will go with the June Meeting.  I would like to go with May meeting but I'm not sure if that is enough time.  So lets say Thursday June 3rd.  When you finish a logo, PM Jake Pehrson and he can tell you the best way to email it or whatever so he can get them.  I'll have him post all of them on the website so people can see them and shar their input. 

Thanks

Adam

Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 9:48am

we need to get jake involved in this thread... Does it need to be built for the internet or for graphic reproduction? What is a more detailed idea? Just a few graphics and the text of the club? Reasonably simple and basic, or if buisy works, can it have a lot going on?

I print for a living, and fiddle from there...

I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2004 at 12:11pm

Okay,

The logo and banner should be designed in the highest resolution possible (if you could use a vector graphic program that would be even better).  Although these are primarily going to be used for the web site there is a possibility that we will use them in a large format printing application (so the higher the resolution the better).

The logo does not have pre-set dimension, therefore you are free to use your artistic license in designing the logo.

The banner should be able to be reduced to a standard banner size (468x60 pixels).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 5:15pm

basic idea???

I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 5:26pm

The banner should have our web site address on it somewhere.  Other then that your artistic license should guide you.  I would like to see a logo that looks "fishy", but we all have our own ideas.

One thing we should mention.  You CAN submit more then one logo and/or banner.

Adam, chime in here if I have left anything out.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 5:29pm
I am designing a logo or six right now. gathering marine clipart to work with. I was going to have a few things going on at the same time in the logo. Whereas the old one was JUST the star and type. Where is the old banner at?

Magna
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 8:29pm

No old banner... and yes you can enter as many times as you want.  Okay, I shouldn't say that.  You can enter.... oh... how about 20 entries per person.  That should be a high enough limit. 

By the way, asking us what it should look like is a bad idea.  Ask everyone else what they think it should be.

Adam

Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 1:32pm

Suzy and I and a few other pony lovers would probably like a SEAHORSE!  I found a neat silhouette on www.seahorse.org that I was thinking of trying to put into a banner.  But then you guys mentioned vector graphics.  So I may chicken out.

Renee

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 1:41pm

All you arteests out there. Please remember....

Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

... We would like to keep the Sea Star as the basic symbol. 

Cortney (West Jordan)
The joy of discovery is certainly the liveliest that the mind of man can ever feel. - Claude Bernard
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 5:22pm

Yea weimers.... I'll throw one on the banner. Where on the sight is the banner going to be? opening page across the top or what?

On those dimentions for the banner, is that at 72dpi?

Is the final product up for a public final vote? I can make a millin small changes to one logo. Unfortunatly I have been doing this for tooooo long. But I guess thats the fun eh.

Edited by Skyetone

Magna
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 6:14pm
GonZo, I wasn't talking about eliminating the Sea Star.  Just adding to it.
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 7:06pm

How 'bout this:

That's about as creative as I get... is that plagiarism?

coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 7:36pm
LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianatabor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 11:06pm
Me too! How creative!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 6:59am

Jon,

We'll count that as a entry.  That now makes two!

Adam

Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 7:41am
How about posting the entries- what was the first one?  IF us untalented types see something it may get some of our creative juices moving . . .
Richard
Alpine, UT
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Skyetone Skyetone wrote:

Where on the sight is the banner going to be? opening page across the top or what?

On those dimentions for the banner, is that at 72dpi?

The banner was originally suggested so that we could put a link on other sites.

The banner should look good when reduced to 72dpi, but should be designed and submitted in a higher DPI or resolution in case we want to use it for a large printed banner (or something like that).

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianatabor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 11:16am
Originally posted by 1mariner7 1mariner7 wrote:

How about posting the entries- what was the first one? IF us untalented types see something it may get some of our creative juices moving . . .

I'm not sure if I think this is a good idea or not. We might get better images, because people may build on each other's ideas. However, some people would wait until the end to avoid copy cats that sweep in and take the prize due to the creative ideas of others. I hate when that happens.

BTW - Is this contest open to everyone? Or, just paid WMAS members?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic