Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

aeolid nudibranches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gobie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: aeolid nudibranches
    Posted: December 27 2007 at 7:32pm
  are these nudibranches good for tulip anemone control and safe for other soft corals and if so were can they be purchased? I need to thin out my tulip anemone population!!!EmbarrassedConfusedStar

the ones ive seen are called spurilla neapolitana

Edited by gobie - December 27 2007 at 8:46pm
135 with vhos
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 9:04pm

I think this nudibranch is the solution for tulip anemone.  You probably heard about it from Brian Plankis

He was the original author that described its behavior preying on tulip/majano anemones. 

I was very interested in this as well 2 years ago, as my tank had thousands of tulip anemone, all from one original animal.  I PM'ed him to ask about his effort of raising the nudibranch.  He stated that he was able to hatch them; but could not raise them past a certain number of days.  As a result, he passed on the project to a good friend of his, who had very good result raising aiptasia-eating nudibranch. 

The latest update that I've read was that they figured out the reason why they couldn't raise them to adulthood: apparently the adults will eat both tulip and majano anemones; but the youngsters need to feed on majano in order to survive.

Well, I then lost interest because I dismantled my old tank to move to a new house and set up my tank again.  In the process, I let all of my LR stay in  the dark for several weeks and that killed all of the tulip anemones.

I bet if you ask him on the Project Dibs website, he'll point you to the right direction as far as their availability.  By the way, Project Dibs is way cool with all of the tank-raised snails for sale.

In the mean time, you might want to consider the false falcula butterfly fish.  According to my reading, this is the best butterfly that will eat majano but leave most corals alone.  Just note that it is different than the true falcula butterfly.  The false falculas are much harder to come by.

Edited by dkle - December 27 2007 at 9:39pm
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
gobie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 9:35pm
 Thanks for all the helpfull info I will ask brian on project dibs after I register! If I find them and they prove helpfull I will post back with my results. Will the false butterfly fish get along with peacefull fish as well as clams fish like yellowheaded jawfish, clowns , coral beauties ,neon gobies,green chromis,  ?

Thanks for the info
135 with vhos
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 9:35pm
thats what i have, it is purple prolly cuase it is eating a dead purple monti.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 9:48pm
Reptileman, are you sure?  Nudibranches are very specific as far as the food that they eat.  One species usually eats only one kind of food.  That is why they are so hard to keep.  They all die from starvation once their food source is gone.  There is also a monti-eating nudibranch.  This guy is really small and pure white in color, not purple though.

Gobie, I've never kept a false falcula bfly, but as a rule, butterflies are pretty docile and peaceful fish.  I think you won't have any problem with it harassing the smaller fish.  The problem is usually the other way around: if you already have tangs, they often harass the new bflies to the point where they hide, refuse eating and end up dying. 
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 10:07pm
i don't know thats the closest thing to what i have my camera can't get a good pic right now. i just noticed it a few days ago and i haven't added anything new to my tank for a few weeks now and even then it was only fishes... i see him alot always crawlin around.

edit...and if it is the monti eating one he will be very expensive to keep alive hahaha...

Edited by pa_reptileman_4 - December 27 2007 at 10:08pm
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic