Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suspended Reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rdbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspended Reef
    Posted: January 06 2008 at 9:14pm
I want to put a Suspended Reef in my 215. Is there anyone here that would be willing to post a DIY on putting one together, or helping me put one together and I can post the DIY with images?

Thanks,

Richard
Kauai, Hawaii
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 9:40pm
No problem.  I'll bet Dion and Eva would be more than happy to help you here.  Dang who had the nice suspended with the arch?  I can't remember now.  Either way I'll make the other two see this post to help out...
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 10:34pm
I will draw a diagram and post it. It would benefit you a lot, to come and see how mine came together with the rock. I can only describe so much and for me if I can see something then I can build it.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 11:07pm
nice orangespot! mines pretty fat. I keep him well fed. I did a minor freakout after he nibbled on that gorgonia. I noticed a few nibbles missing out of a  leather, but that was right after the gorgonia incident. I gave him a taste for coral. I havent seen any problems since. I make sure he has nori daily and he has no reason to bug anything else. He finally realized food i give him is way better ;)
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 11:50pm
We had the discussion of them eating lps (hammer). Hes been in with this colony since I got him. Never even a bite!

He hasn't bothered the leathers or galaxy either. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 12:36am
LOL
It's really funny that this topic came up again today.  I just finished building the suspended reef for my 180.  My hands hurt from pushing pvc together.  Unhappy
I'll see if I can get some pics up of how to do it.  I also have a ton of extra materials if you are interested but they can be picked up at just about any hardware store.
Here is a list of what is used:
PVC pipe (I use 1/2")
90 deg elbow joints
T joints
Couplings
egg crate
zip ties
you can also get the joints that are a cross between an elbow and T-joint but they are kinda expensive and hard to find this time of year.

The basics of assembly are to frame out how you want the shelf using the pvc and elbow joints.  Then add the T joints as legs with the couplings at the bottom of each for extra support as you probably won't cut the pvc perfectly.  Top the whole thing off with egg crate zip tied to the pvc.  Depending on how much rock you are planing on putting on the reef and how big the shelf is, you may need extra supports under the egg crate.  These can be worked in along the edges of the pvc frame.

This is a little hard to understand without pics, but I don't have a digital camera that works with my comp right now (stupid card reader).  I should be able to borrow one tomorrow.  So keep fingers crossed for pics tomorrow evening.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
kdinkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdinkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 12:50am
Not to butt in, but while I was planning how to make a suspended reef I came across an acrylic monitor stand.  It is a 12" x 12" piece of acrylic with four acrylic legs.  It is as solid as can be (I can stand on it).  Any reason not to use this?  If not, I am going to go for it as it is clear, and I don't have to build it!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 12:57am
I think the monitor stand would work great. Is is a solid shelf or can water flow through it freely? Solid would not be too good.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 1:03am
I can't think of any reason to not use it if it meets your needs.  The only reason we build them is cause of the space/ size requirements.  For example my 180 has end overflows and I build the suspended reef around them.  Odds are that I would have never found something the right size or shape.  But for fairly cheap and a bit of time I had exactly what I needed/wanted.

BTW Adam this is the suspended arch you were probably thinking of http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20617&KW=check
There was another post for a HUGE tank that had rocks zip tied to pvc that went all over.  Very cool aquascape.  I've been looking for the site, but haven't found it yet.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 1:12am
Eva, Mine is very similar. From your description the only major difference is the egg crate. Mine is "piped" across to support the rock. The + side to this is letting the fish get through the underside. I stacked the rock to give passage through the structure.
Your pictures would be great. I was going to photograph mine when we moved it from the 120 to the 180 but forgot in all the rushConfused
Bad "censored" Cabinets

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 1:31am
LOL
Forgetting in the rush... like that would happen.  Wink
I have been meaning to build the suspended reef for weeks and just haven't gotten around to it till tonight.  If I had a camera that I could get the pics onto my comp from I would have taken pics of the process.  Oh well.  I will try and get the pics up tomorrow, I just have to borrow the camera again.
I like the egg crate because I can make caves and put plugs in the egg crate and I don't have to worry about the rocks falling through.  It also gives my huge green starfish a place to stay.  I hope to be able to cover the pvc and egg crate in the 125 in star polyps so they look more natural.  The one in the 180 I am thinking of covering in zoos.

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 1:37am
Sounds coolThumbs%20Up
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 3:59am
wow, Dion, that looks amazing!!
kdinkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdinkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 9:28am
I have to agree, those pics look sweet.  Thanks again for the advice.
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

No problem.  I'll bet Dion and Eva would be more than happy to help you here.  Dang who had the nice suspended with the arch?  I can't remember now.  Either way I'll make the other two see this post to help out...
Adam

Hairmonkey had it.
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
Jhamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 11:38pm
Hey Dion what are the dimensions for that tank? I have a 180 that I am going to do a semi-suspended reef and i want a blue spot ray but not sure if its big enough. 6x2x2. also does the ray ever come out and swim higher in the water column or does he generally just stay down low in the sand?
Jeremy

40B INW

USAF
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 11:43pm

from the ones that i saw they like to swim all over up to the surface and everything.

pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 12:37am
180Thumbs%20Up I feed it at the top of the water Column every night. It travels every inch of the tank. If you go Blue Spotted make sure its healthy and eating well. DO NOT take anybodies word for it. YOU MUST see it for yourself. These rays ship very poorly and there survival rate is marginal at best.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Jhamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 2:56pm
hmm.....ok thanks for the advice probably still be awhile before i get setup thoughCry
Jeremy

40B INW

USAF
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Holdencraft 33 Holdencraft 33 wrote:

We had the discussion of them eating lps (hammer). Hes been in with this colony since I got him. Never even a bite!

He hasn't bothered the leathers or galaxy either. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Mine has been with frogspawn and hammer now for quite a while. he isnt interested. He is also with zoos *has never touch a single polyp*, xenia, sps, mushrooms, leathers, etc!!!!

and the only thing he ate was purple gorgonia. Mark informed me that anthony calfo said it was toxic to fish and they wouldnt eat it. therefore great for fish only tanks....

pshhh. Mr. rabbit proved him wrong. he went back for more. and didnt even die
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic