Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish Trap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shakin06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakin06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish Trap
    Posted: January 12 2008 at 11:46am
Anyone have one?
I have a Javanese damsel to get out before he destroys everything!!!

Steve
72 Bow ASM G2 Oceanic1 mag 9.5
TEK 8 bulb T5HO
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2008 at 11:49am
I've had good luck catching fish at night when the lights are out. Shine a flashlight on them and they are temporarily blinded and then net them. Of course the have to be somewhat out in the open.

Mike

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2008 at 2:53pm
You can make the pop bottle trap. It works well for most fish. Cut the top off a 2 liter pop bottle and invert it and slip it back inside. Secure it in 3-4 places with fishing line. Submerge and bait with frozen food and watch the damsel go inside. There is a pic of the trap somewhere.

Oh yeah, here it is. What you can't see is the fishing line attached to the trap and leading out of the tank to make it easy to raise it with the trapped fish inside.

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 12 2008 at 2:56pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2008 at 10:28pm
I currently have mine in the tank trying to get a vicious anthius out. If you can wait a little longer your more than welcome to use it.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 11:45am
I have one that you could use.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

shakin06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakin06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 12:24pm
thanks everyone. I'll give bruce a call first since he's close
TEK 8 bulb T5HO
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 2:05pm
Steve, you can borrow mine if you want to get it from Jared Butler. He pm'd me last week saying he has mine, but I'm in California right now and wont be home untill next weekend.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
shakin06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakin06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 2:18pm
thanks Brad. I guess I'll wait to hear from Jared or Bruce.

Steve
TEK 8 bulb T5HO
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 1:07am
Steve, Mine is available. I got tired of waiting and baited a small hook. The little bugger took it right away. Now he resides in the big tank with plenty of bigger less docile fish.HE HE HE HE!

My trap is different from Brads. Instead of being thin and tall its like a box with a slanted front door. If I can find a picture I will post.  Let me know if you need it.

Edited by Holdencraft 33 - January 14 2008 at 1:08am
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
shakin06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakin06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 10:30am

Dion, I've never used a trap like yours but it looks like it may be the ticket for Mr. Javanese.

Let me know when is convienent for you. (or you can drop it off at BW & PV) any day other than tomorrow wed 1-16.

Thanks
Steve
TEK 8 bulb T5HO
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 3:35pm
I can have it there Thursday.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
shakin06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakin06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 3:59pm
That would be great Dion. Thanks.

TEK 8 bulb T5HO
shakin06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakin06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 7:08pm
Thanks Dion....Satan is trapped
TEK 8 bulb T5HO
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 7:13pm
Thumbs%20Up
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 7:17pm
I'm glad to hear it.

Eventine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eventine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 8:23pm
We used the pop bottle trap last night and caught our Domino Damsel that seemed to be the ring leader of the bully damsels in the 125. The bottle was in for about 4 minutes and he was caught. Of course we put it back in to catch the other damsels and just kept getting the purple tang so we decided to wait till today to catch the rest.
CrimsRayne's offical water mule

West Jordan
shakin06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakin06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 10:49pm
Thats nice you were able to get them so quick. I had trapped this devil a few times before over the past few years. He got smart.
TEK 8 bulb T5HO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic