Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

? about Banggai cardnals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? about Banggai cardnals
    Posted: January 15 2008 at 5:44pm
I was wondering if there was any way that I could tell in a LFS if the cardnals are male or female. 
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 5:52pm
from what i have seen and heard they will change sex just like clowns...
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by pa_reptileman_4 pa_reptileman_4 wrote:

from what i have seen and heard they will change sex just like clowns...

Don't count on it, no one has ever proved this and most say that this doesn't happen.  ORA says that the best way to get a male and female is to buy 3-5 of them and wait for them to pair up.  If you see some hanging out together, that would be a good place to start.
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 6:13pm
when are yours going to have babies amie?
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 6:13pm
oh I see.  I guess I will have to try and find some around.  I have limited access to really anything.  Thanks
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 10:27pm
There are physical differences between the sexes; however, they are not always apparent.

1) Males can have a longer second dorsal fin; however, in most cases this longer fin "thread" is absent because it has either been nipped off by other fish or damaged in transit or in the more crowded confines of a dealer tank. When I bought my 2 Banggais the length of this second dorsal "thread" on both fish was basically identical. Only later did the males thread grow back to be maybe 1/2" longer than the females... 

2) Males will generally be larger; however, the age of any given fish specimen also plays a large role in its size. You could have a juvenile male and an older female - and, in that case, the female would actually be the larger of the 2...

3) Males will have a greatly pronounced jawline - but only when they are carrying eggs. At all other times the jawlines of males and females look very similar...

So, yes, under most circumstances the only way to pretty much guarantee you will end up with at least 1 fish of both sexes is to purchase 4 or more and let them figure out who is a boy and who is a girl... Big%20smile

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic