Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fragging?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
CowFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CowFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fragging?!
    Posted: January 18 2008 at 6:20pm
Any good suggestions or links related to fragging a Kenya tree? I want to know if I should cut of just a branch or include part of the stalk.. I would assume a branch is sufficient and would minimize needed healing for the donor coral. But yeah. Not sure how to go about this except for a sterile cutting impliment (razor)
Clearfield, UT.
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 6:22pm
Yeah you can just lop off a piece. Donnt superglue it though like other corals. use either a rubberband, a string, or a toothpick with a rubberband to attach it to the rock or frag plug. Kenya trees are pretty prolific and soon it will be dropping babies all over your tank
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 6:30pm
kenya tree is really easy to frag and often drops frags on its own.  Just pick any spot on the main piece (branch, stalk where ever) and use some scissors to make a clean (smooth) cut.  BTW yes it will ooze and squish.  Take the frag and rubberband it to a piece of rubble or where ever you want it.  Just tight enough to hold it w/o too much pressure or it will come loose.  BTW If you can get a piece that has a V in it that makes mounting it really easy.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
CowFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CowFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 6:38pm
They drop frags? Currently my Kenya Tree is isolated in the substrate - attatched to a shell I finally got the hermit crabs to stop moving by burying it. Does it just.. drop a branch? lol
I like the toothpick idea but I want to make sure I understand how to do it: cut a stalk from the main coral and pierce the base with a toothpick, lassoing the ends of the toothpick with a rubber band to a plug or piece of rubble. Right?
I'm just nervous but I really want to give some Kenya Tree to my boss. : )

Clearfield, UT.
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 7:36pm
mine frags itself what a pain in the but
out with the large and in with the nano
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 9:51pm
yeah they will literally just start dropping branches. That is the idea of the toothpick. If it is a small leather though I would just put the toothpick over it.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 10:10pm
mine wont frag itself it isn't even growing that well...i want to have a kenya tree forest someday...
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 10:21pm
My kenya tree is growing like mad and dropping trees all over. I moved all 20 of my trees to a new tank and made a kenya tree mountain. Even my little trees are starting to frag but in a different way. One little one sent out a foot and a new tree grew from it.
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 11:08pm
Good piece for a beinger to practice fragging. If you kill it I can get you more for free.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 12:47am
Come on down and Ill give you all you want.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Danner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 2:51am
ya me too please take all my kenya lol i cant get rid of it i keep cutting and flushing lol

Ryan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 10:24am
i would be more then happy to take it all...let me know when.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 4:54pm
if you were closer i would give you 5 or 6 today

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 5:17pm
where are you located?
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 7:25pm
spanish fork
GARFVolunteer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by pa_reptileman_4 pa_reptileman_4 wrote:

mine wont frag itself it isn't even growing that well...i want to have a kenya tree forest someday...

They usually do not start fragging themselves until they reach a certian size.  The size will vary between species...

Thanks,

Scott
President Idaho Marine Aquarium Society
A fair and biased reef hobbyist
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes
PMGuernsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMGuernsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 10:57pm
I have a kenya tree that was placed on a hermit crab shell, that shell has now been taken over by a hermit crab. So now the kenya tree is being given a tour of the whole tank by the hermit crab, it is kind of funny so I would like to leave it there, but does anyone think it should be romoved? If so whould I just cut it at the base?
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 11:01pm
Just cut it off.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 11:11pm
Great conversation piece!

Mike

CowFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CowFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 9:36pm
Mine is on a snail shell, all the hermit crabs keep digging it up only to be unsatisfied with the "oriental hat" shell.
Anyhoo, I cut off a branch and banded it to a plug (from my xenia.. that died : P) It's attatching pretty well.

I have also fragged what looks like a toadstool/umbrella leather. I'm not sure exactly what it is but I'm thinking it's a toadstool. Cut off a chunk and banded it to a piece of rubble - hope they make it!
Clearfield, UT.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic