Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jpndave's Cube - New Pics 19 May 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jpndave's Cube - New Pics 19 May 2008
    Posted: January 24 2008 at 4:23pm
Jpndave's Cube
Ok, I finally decided to add a few shots of the tank. I have the rock placed but am not totally sure that the layout is "right".  The four base corners have to stay where they are but the others could be shifted to make things look/function better.  I would appreciate any and all feedback (positive and constructive criticism).
The tank is a 21" Acrylic cube.  36 gallons in the tank and 15 or so running volume in the sump below.  There are no cord or plumbing exposed anywhere except for a single power cord to plug into the wall.  A single Lumenarc reflector with a 175W 15K Iwasaki bulb fired by Icecap ballast.  Two 1" drains are set up on the "Herbie Method" which works very well.  Return from the sump is through a Eheim 1260 and a modified SCWD with the two eductors/flow increasers (and yes, they work!).  Additional flow is from a modded 6025 Tunze Nanosteam hidden below the center flat rock (straight behind the tricolor) and centered in the tank in one of Tunze's Nanorocks for the Nanosteam.  It is modded as well.  Should be about 900gph.
Right now the skimmer is an urchin.  I am in process of upgrading to a custom acrylic recirc design with the mesh and an Aquaclear 70 with a custom impellor housing.  I'll add pics of all this and the livestock later.
The sump is lit by a 70W 14K Ushio halide over the frag section and a 27W fluorescent over the Chaeto.
Live rock is from Haiti (my wife was born there while her parents were abroad).  I love the density and shape.  Between the sump and tank there is 80lbs.  Sand is Utah Aragonite.  I am thinking of adding a layer of coarser sand to try and minimize sandstorms from the eductors.  I am also going to add 90 Degree elbows on both sides of the sump return to get the outlets tighter to the wall and down a bit.
Occupants include:
*    Two Picasso Perculas - sweet friendly and most important stunning!
*    One Pearly Jawfish "Boogly Boogly" as Amy and the kids named him.  Right side under the front rock.
*    Two Yashia Gobies (mated pair) and Randalli Pistol shrimp Front and center - these are fun to watch
*    Two Mandarins, One Red Male & One Green Female.  The red is really cool.
*    Tail Spot Blenny - awesome personality!  He is my favorite fish in the tank!
*    Two Cleaner Shrimp
*    Lawnmower Blenny - still not sure if this guy is staying.

I plan to add a Helfrichi Firefish
Coral:

SPS:

Acropora
  • Garf Bonsai
  • Indo Tri-Color
  • Oregon Blue Tort
  • Purple Monster
  • Ponape Birds Nest
  • ORA Pearlberry
  • ORA German Blue Polyp Acro
  • ORA Hawkins Blue Enchinata

Montipora

• Superman
  • Pokerstar
  • Sunset
  • Reverse Sunset
  • True Undata
  • ROAB Digi
  • Orange Digi from Frag Fest
  • Leng Sy Cap (Documented Original)
  • ORA Green Birdnest

Hydnophora:

• Two varieties
LPS:
  • Aussie Duncans 4 Varieties
  • Aussie acans
  • Aussie Elegance
Zoas/Palys:
  • Purple People Eaters (Documented one step off of Perun's originals)
  • Armor of God
  • Dream Weavers
  • Rainbows
  • Pink Peptos
  • Red People Eaters
  • Gold Dust
  • Fire and Ice
  • Eagle Eyes
  • Spiderman
  • Pink Elephants
  • and a bunch of ohers I am waiting on to see how they turn out.
 Anemones/Softies/other:
  • True Rose Bubble Tip Anemone
  • Christmas Tree Worm Rock
  • Pulsing Xenia
  • Pink Yuma
The Canopy is not complete yet.  When it is finished I'll post a full shot.  The canopy and stand are all solid Cherry.
Fire away!

Edited by jpndave - May 19 2008 at 3:24am
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 4:25pm

dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 4:42pm
The tank looks good Dave.  I like the rockwork as is.  Once the SPS grow out, it's gonna look spectacular.

Your tank bottom is even worse than mine, LOL.  Have frags much?????  I love the branching duncan and christmass worms.

It looks like your water has a lot of floating particles in it.  What you can do to help is to put some filter floss in your overflow.  One night is usually enough to polish your water that way.  You can just then throw the floss away.

Is that a nudibrach egg pod on the tank wall?
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 4:51pm
I have filter bags on the lines to the sump but I will try the floss in the overflow.  Thanks for the tip.

The branching duncan is sprouting new heads.  With any luck you will have a frag of it in now time.Wink 

The Christmas tree worm really is an awesome piece.  I got it from c4cache when they tore down their tank.   I had it in the back but moved it up a bit and it really has opened up.  I'll post some close ups later tonight.

The egg pods all 3 of them are from the ceriths.  I did have one from the nasty little nudibranch but I got rid of it. So far I have kill two of the nasty little devils but I think there is at least one more as I noticed some damage to one of my zoas today so I will dip everything again.  I'll get them!Angry
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by dkle dkle wrote:

The tank looks good Dave.  I like the rockwork as is.  Once the SPS grow out, it's gonna look spectacular.

Thanks!  I appreciate your input.  No changes to the rockwork?  I don't know if I am totally satisfied and ready to glue it down yet.  Getting close though.  I need to at least ad a piece below the bleached GBTA (Came that way but is coloring back up).

Your tank bottom is even worse than mine, LOL.  Have frags much????? 

LOL, ya, and that is after thinning things down by sending some pieces to a friends new nano and putting some pieces in the frag section of the sump.  You should have seen it before!  I would love some advice on where to locate everything.  I am paranoid to glue anything down.  It was a huge step for me to let that clam put it's foot down on the rock to the right.  I'm still not sure that is where I want it.  The only things I am sure about and happy with where they are is the Jawfish and Yashia.
dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 5:20pm
It looks good.  I like.  What is that thing with a ton of holes in it in the last pic?  My tank bottom is just like yours.  I have frags everywhere on my sand bed. 
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 5:32pm
Sweet!  I love cubes.  I really want to get a nice sized cube for my office at work... but I should probably finish up with my 125 before I start out on any new projects :)  As for your questions, I like the rock, it allows for lots of swimming room in the front and looks good to me!
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by superman1981 superman1981 wrote:

Sweet!  I love cubes.  I really want to get a nice sized cube for my office at work... but I should probably finish up with my 125 before I start out on any new projects :)  As for your questions, I like the rock, it allows for lots of swimming room in the front and looks good to me!

Thanks for the comments.  I am in the same boat with new projects except I am planning a 180 and have the cube to finish first, LOL.  My has threatened me no new projects until this tank, the jeep, harley, house and yard are finished!  I might get away with the 180 before finishing the canoe but we'll see.

I have tried to pick fish that will use different parts of the tank to make things balanced and everyone happy.
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by dustponds10 dustponds10 wrote:

It looks good.  I like.  What is that thing with a ton of holes in it in the last pic?  My tank bottom is just like yours.  I have frags everywhere on my sand bed. 
I'm not positive what you are refering to but if it is the yellow rock in the bottom center, it is the Christmas Tree Rock.

Edited by jpndave - January 24 2008 at 6:24pm
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 6:32pm
"Boogly Boogly" or "BB" for short

Edited by jpndave - January 25 2008 at 8:58pm
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 6:41pm
Duncans
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 6:44pm
Chalices:

The first isn't a great picture but it is a nice piece.  From Jared Butler.

This piece is cool because of the fan worm in the upper left corner.  It looks like a skeleton hand reaching out to grab things.
dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 6:55pm
you have to quite.  the more pics of those duncans the sicker I get.  I need some of those so bad.  Your tank and corals look awsome.  I like the christmas tree rock as well.  One of the nicer rocks I have ever seen.  Does the coral that encrusts the rock polyp out much?
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 9:06pm
The tank, rockwork & pictures look great! I really like that Christmas tree rock and the jawfish.

Mike

jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 10:09pm
Crocea:
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 10:38pm
Tri-Color

Orange Montipora from "Frag Fest"

Superman

Pokerstar

Edited by jpndave - January 24 2008 at 10:39pm
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

The tank, rockwork & pictures look great! I really like that Christmas tree rock and the jawfish.

Mike

Thanks Mike!  I Knew you would like the jawfish.  It has quite a personality.

The Christmas Tree rock is really nice.  I took some close ups of some of the polyps.  I'll post some of those tomorrow.
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 10:48pm
Last one for tonight:

Pipe Organ

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 11:22pm
Nice!

DAND View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 11:51pm
i think you should leave the rock alone and start setting frags
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic