Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NOISY PUMP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fishman90G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NOISY PUMP
    Posted: January 26 2008 at 1:17am
i recently changed from a large sump with external iwaki pump with not enough gph to a new 20G glass sump with internal pump. i may hate to say it but it is a rio 20hfCry. is this a bad pump? outside of the fact that it really pumps alot of water i hate it. i can hear it when im watching tv or outside on the porch. i know its just the vibration echoing through the walls but i really feel sorry for my fish. i put all the noise dampering plates on with rubber spacers and suction cups. the only thing i can think of is the hose i chose to use. i went overboard and used the 1/8" thick clear rubber with whte nylon braided in the center. its fairly rigid. is there a more flexible hose i can buy that might take care of this issue or should i abandon the idea of having a properly runnng sump system on a budget???
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 9:27am
I have not heard good things about the pump but I don't remember noise being one of the issues. I have had internal pumps before with rigid pvc piping and not had that kind of noise. Maybe the pipe is vibrating against something?

Mike

john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 10:09am
my rios always start out great then the magnet gets a bump on it and starts to make noise
out with the large and in with the nano
fishman90G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 11:08am
i unfortunately did not do my homework as far as rband and quality for pumps i only picked the best one i could afford at the time. its more of an echoing vibration through the wood of the aquarium and the house it not real bad like tires squealing but it is annoying because my iwaki is so gosh darn quiet do they make "quiet" submerse pumps?
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 11:17am
what did you do with the iwaki pump?
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 11:17am
I've had good luck with Mag pumps though I have heard the Mag 5 or7 can be loud. I used a Mag 12 and it was pretty quiet.

Mike

hairmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 1:53pm
you can try some neoprene under the pump. also make sure no return lines are touching the stand, a strip of neoprene takes care of that as well. some kind of rubber mat under the sump tank helps. to absorb almost all the sound from under the stand you can line it with a product called dyna-mat. i have a mag 7 that makes noise. i did all except the dyna-mat and it helped. i will be using dyna-mat in my new stand.
"Logic is your friend"
west side salon 250-5314
8370w 3500s magna.
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 9:25pm
my mag only cusses when it needs cleaned excluding the one traded to james the mag 36 sounded like a jet taking off unless I lifted it off the glass . My Salt and freshwater experience any time a pump or piece of equipment cussed it was touching the glass or something else causing it to resonate like others have stated or sand, algae or the occasional toy of my daughters (when I have visitation) just needed removed. Also over the years I learned that some equipment like my other hobby has very tight manufacturing tolerances and just needs broke in. Hope at least some portion of that is beneficial to some one otherwise my fingers were worn out for noughtLOL 
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2008 at 6:49pm

If your pump is out of balance its gonna suck.  i would put some of that spongey bio filter stuff under the pump and see if that helps.  GL 

mark

Andreason's

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic