Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powder Blue - Ich

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kdinkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdinkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powder Blue - Ich
    Posted: January 29 2008 at 11:54pm
I want to think this is not the case, but I am afraid he may have ich.  He was fine this morning, but is showing some white spots this evening.  (I found out after I purchased him that powder blues get ich easily).  I have a UV sterilizer running, and did a 10% water change.  (I am reading 0 amonia, 0 Nitrates and 0 Nitrites).  For the normal reasons I cannot use copper, but have read melafix (in freshwater that is only used for fungus, and infections, not parisites.  Pimafix, copersafe, or marcylin are used for ich).  I have also read using some garlic in thier food, no-ich, and a fresh water (RO) bath.  In addition, 6 line wrasses.  So what do you think?  How much time to I have to take care of this before he bites it?  My experience is only in freshwater and I realize this is a different bug.  In fresh water ich isn't really a big deal.  The tang is about 3" long.
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 12:00am
i had a small hippo that had ich constantly, he did fine with the garlic on the food. i found that it ran in cycles with him. as long as he stays eating i dont see it to big of a deal right now.  as long as he is eating and acting healthy thats all good signs. fw dips are one way of curing ich but once you introduce a fish with ich into your tank you will always have it. another way is to do hyposalinity. its all avaiable on reefcentral under fish diseases i think.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 12:01am
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

kdinkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdinkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 8:29am
Happy day!  I must have been seeing things last night (lights were off).  I checked it this morning and there is nothing on it.  I still want to add some garlic just to be safe.  Where do you get liquid garlic?  I have it in pill form at where I work.  Should I just dissolve it in water and then soak the food in it?
kdinkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdinkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 8:33am
Okay, acording to the link I may not be out of the woods yet.  I will feed garlic, and my UV sterilizer has been running for 2 days so hopefully this will take care of it reoccuring if that is what I saw.
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 1:02pm
Mine had ich and it kept disappearing and then it would come back. I treated the tank with "stop ich" and it was horrible. The tank was gross, nothing in there was happy, and the fish died anyway. It was depressing. I hope you have better luck.

Edited by mermaidcamille - January 30 2008 at 10:44pm
eldiente View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eldiente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 3:47pm
I bought a liquid garlic from a health food store and just drop it on the nori/seaweed and let it soak in for a few minutes and then place it in the tank. I've head garlic to be an attractant to get fish to eat so it may help to stimulate him to keep eating also. It seems to help my hippo tang and  purple tang to keep the ich off of them.
Brian
Twin Falls, Idaho

210 Gallon Glass reef
kdinkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdinkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 6:39pm
Thanks.  I work for Nature's Way and apperently we make a liquid garlic.  I grabbed some and will start using it!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 9:44pm
See this thread for the answer. http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23402
Garlic Oil is the best thing since the discovery of Hermits and Snails as Reef Janitors (www.garf.org/ugly.html)
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
mikeden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 10:47pm
Ozone Generator!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I spent hundreds of dollars on every "reef safe" cure, and lost a bunch of fish to the Ich, and lost inverts and coral to the "cures".  Again, they were all non-copper "reef safe"!  I finally invested in an ozone generator, hooked it up to my skimmer, and 3 days later not a single sign of Ich left.  And, it "burned off" any of the residual "cure" crap and my tank smelled extra clean!  Now every creature in my tank is thriving!

150G Reef
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 11:48pm
I would think that the UV sterilizer would do the trick.

Mike

kdinkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdinkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 9:14am
Thanks guys!  The powder blue still seems to be doing great.  I will keep the uv running and the garlic treatments going (I have an unlimited supply!).
mikeden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 9:26am
I bought a 40 Watt Current USA "Gamma UV" 2 months after I started my 150.  Hooked it up inline from the sump return.  Ich appeared during the 3rd month and continued to get worse for 10 weeks, all while my UV was running, and using garlic, and trying the "cures"! 

I am convinced the Ozone is the only "cure"!  I ran it at max and at very high levels for 3 days, then backed it off after I could see the improvement.  Now I just run it minimum levels, and it keeps my tank water very clear.  Also, I have a large population of pods, so don't worry that it will kill the good stuff.

150G Reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 10:23am
I was recently using UV and Garlic Oil on a customers tank with ich, but it wasn't until I changed to the stinkier Garlic Oil that the ich finally went away.
JWayment View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWayment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 10:28am
Which brand of stinkier garlic oil are you talking about. I recently had a bad case of ich and was using the kent "garlic extreme", but it did nothing to help the fish.

Thanks
Josh
120 gal reef
55 gal predator
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 10:27pm
I've used two or three brands, but maybe it's the ones in the gal caps that work better because the mfr doesn't have to worry about people being offended by the smell. The one I have now came from Smiths. It's made by Natures Bounty. It was on sale 2 bottles for $7Big%20smile
idahreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idahreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2008 at 5:30pm

fighting ich is tough enough, let alone on a powder blue, uv, good water, some good cleaners, neon gobies are great! along with your common skunk cleaner shrimp, feed him new life spectrum, great stuff! and they love nori...he will get out breaks now and again but if he's happy, fat, & healthy, will fight through them, and if you have any hair algae or bryopsis problems, I had some it sucked! mine cleaned it to the bone, best algae cleaner I ever saw.

martin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic