Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

zoo ?eating? nudi pic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: zoo ?eating? nudi pic
    Posted: April 14 2004 at 9:06pm

caught this guy wandering around in my zoos last night and thought i'd share.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2004 at 10:16pm

For future reference any post with the title "nudi pic" is usually quickly deleted.

Adam

(but I thought it was funny at first sight)

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2004 at 10:21pm
LOL
Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2004 at 11:56pm
that is way cool (the pic not that it is eating your zoos) , how big is that monster?

Edited by Sarnack
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2004 at 8:41am

he is tiny ... i'd say about 1/16th - 1/8th of an inch.  pretty cool looking eh? he  totally matched the color of my zoos, brown and green. you can see his green camo i the pic, even though it is from the bottom.

i'm not real sure what to do with him.

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2004 at 8:42am

Are you going to keep him?

He is cooler then the zoos IMO.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2004 at 8:44am
i agree he is super cool .. but i think they can multiply and become quite a pest. he is up for adoption if you (or anyone) wants him.

Edited by coreyk
seti007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seti007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2004 at 9:50am

Coreyk,

I dont claim to know much about nudis at all but are you sure that it eats zoos. Did u actually see it eating zoos or just assumed since it was near/on them. Check the seaslug forum at http://www.seaslugforum.net. It has a lot of pics to help identify this critter.

I was looking through that website and noticed that some of the specied listed under FAMILY Limapontiidae and FAMILY Hermaeidae  are similar to the pic you posted. U might even try to post that pic on the forum for a positive ID.

Asad

coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2004 at 9:56am

asad ... no i'm not 100% ... part of the reason i put the question marks around eating and i didn’t see him actually eating them. so, i'll do a little more research. a few people in the zoanthid forum on RC seemed to think it was a zoo muncher ... but, maybe i can get a better ID on it.

would be cool if he was zoo safe and i coud keep him around

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2004 at 10:11am

Originally posted by coreyk coreyk wrote:

i agree he is super cool .. but i think they can multiply and become quite a pest. he is up for adoption if you (or anyone) wants him.

I doubt he would multiply and become a pest (they rarely if ever do)  Plus if he is feeding on your zoos he would probably die in another tank.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2004 at 8:34am

just wanted to update... got this from dr. ron on RC ...

It is indeed an aeolid, all aeolids eat things such as sea anemones, zoanthids or corals. Generally, they are quite specialized as to what is an acceptable food. I can't identify the animal in the image (among other things, it is a shot from the bottom ), but if you found it amongst zoanthids, odds are that it eats them.

so, if anyone wants him ... lemme know. thanks!

Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 10:04am
I have read a few posts about these critters in the Zoas forums on RC. He looks just like the ones in the pics. Most folks on RC suggest that instead of trying to acclimate new Zoas, you instead give them a 4 minute fresh water dip to eliminate these guys and then put the Zoas right into your tank. I'm not qualified or experienced enough to tell you to do this going forward, but I would suggest a little research and encourage you to come to your own conclusions. As "cool" as he might be, I don't think I'd want him in my tank, and as much as we here at WMAS like to trade frags, this could lead to spreading a pest to others.
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 10:37am

jamison... i came to the same conclusion. he is gone  but i think my zoos will be happy (lol)

and i totally agree with not spreading pests to others tanks! sure would be a rotten thing to do!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic