Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Fan = -10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Fan = -10
    Posted: February 03 2008 at 10:51am
I put a new blower fan on my tank this week.  It dropped my tank temperature 10 degrees in 3 days.  Wow!  If any of you are having temp problems I'd recommend junking your little 4 inch fans and getting something like this...

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 11:07am
You can also use it for a carpet dryer if you ever have a water spill!

Adam, is your tank remaining in the 80's even during the winter?  Did you notice any negative reaction with your corals from the decrease in temp?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 11:10am
My tank was 86 during the day, about 83 at night.
This morning my tank was at 76.  I haven't seen any real problems with high temp, but I think the fish stress more than the corals did.  I really wanted to drop the temp for the fish.
It was a pretty quick decrease, but I haven't seen any problems.  It all looks happy. Ermm
Adam
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 11:11am
thats a lot of fan, 12 AMPS it will need it's own circuit, you had better get much lower temps than 3 deg. for the money spent on electricity you may be better off with a chiller.

reread post 10 degrees, much better, thats still a lot of electricity, you may have better #'s if you could drop the humidity levels.

Edited by bbeck4x4 - February 03 2008 at 11:13am
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 12:56pm
That is a huge temperature drop. That must be one heck of a fan!

Mike

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 1:33pm
WOW, that's alot of heat being generated for the winter.  How many lights do you have on it now?   Mine is in the basement, but the temp never gets past 78 degrees.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 1:52pm
my tanks are running about 81-82 at the surface of the water. the highest the big tank gets though is 79 it seems. I however do not have the heat on in the house.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 2:40pm
I have two bulbs on my tank.  That is it.  Just two 400 watt 14K halides.  I like the simplicity of it.
Brian- that must be a misprint on the website.  I looked on my fan and there is a sticker on the side with all the product info and it says 1.9amps. 

Adam
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 2:41pm
Oh one more thing.  I think having an enclosed canopy is the reason for the heat.  If I had a pendant light I'm sure I wouldn't need the fan.
Adam
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 2:59pm
oh yucka! glad the fan is working for you. we are going to be doing a chiller on the big tank this summer b/c i somehow dont think the window air conditioners are gonna do it
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
KMastin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMastin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 6:31pm
I have a couple of questions. Physically how big is the fan? and did you just mount it on top of the canopy or what?  I don't have alot of problems with heat in the winter because my house is so cold but I sure do in the summer!
Kathy Mastin
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 9:35pm
1.9 amps is a much better number, that is a really good temp number thenThumbs%20Up
  for some reason when I put a fan on my sump I was able to get better numbers than two fans under the hood. so I now have one fan under the hood and one on the sump. the fan on the sump can blow directly down on the water, and the fan in the hood can only blow across the tank.

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 9:49pm
I put a shelf up on the wall right next to the tank about 5 feet high.  Then the fan blows left to right across the wall.  It blows through a big 6" pieces of like raingutter tubing or whatever that stuff is.  Then that tubing goes behind the canopy and bends in over the tank.
I took pics, I'll post them this week.

Physical size is 8 inches wide by 10 inches long, and about 10 inches tall.

Adam
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 9:55pm
Let's see those pictures.

Mike

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 10:14pm
Does it make your front room sound like you're in a wind tunnel?
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 11:37pm
If the fan really draws that much power, 12 amps is probably more than a good chiller, IMHO. Have you considered a chiller?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 8:54am
I considered a chiller... but the cost difference is huge.  I bought my fan for $35.

The fan isn't loud.  Although I only run it at half speed or so (variable knob).  If I crank it up it may be.  But it is definitely quieter than the two 4" fans I had running before.

Adam
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 1:04pm

Heheh I didn't read your post about 1.9 amps.  Much cheaper than a chiller in that case!

I bet you have water running down your house's windows right now. 

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 5:50pm
One fan, a little duct work, some handyman secret weapon (Duct Tape), one shelf...

Redrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 10:37pm
SHEYAH!  

And in the fall you can use it as a leaf blower!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic