Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

17 Days ... & Counting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2004 at 10:07am
I'm planning to visit Suzy today, and returning home to Ogden.  I could possibly take them up to Brigham on Sunday, if someone would give me directions. 
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2004 at 9:21am
Update:
Dave came over yesterday and reported that he still has 5 fry that are doing well. They are eating well and growing.
The next batch he lost quite a few larvae right before the metamorphose (sp). We're working on getting more rotifers. He is actually growing them in buckets on his porch! No light, no aeration, no nothing. Just a bucket in the sunlight! I still think the populations are low though.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2004 at 12:07pm
Temp too low outside?!

Are the older four still doing okay?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2004 at 9:47pm
The rotifers seem to be able to survive the low temps. That may be why the populations aren't increasing quickly though. His clownfish book indicated that you could use your water change water from your tank to grow rotifers on the porch. I think this is what he is doing.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2004 at 10:11pm
For what it's worth, Seti007 used tank water for rotifers and then looked at it through a microscope the second day. He found some kind of smaller creatures eating on about half the rotifers. He also used BSD Tahitian Blend, rather than live phyto. It's possible the rotifer eaters came from the TB, but more likely from the LW(Live Water).

Growing rotifers outside has no benefit, except for available space. They don't need light.

Personally, I wouldn't use LW just because of the possibility. We don't recommend LW for growing phyto for just that reason, to avoid predation from organisms in the tank! If that's what Joyces book said she gave bad advice there or maybe her water wasn't so alive. I read the book so long ago. As I recall she pegged the clownfish growing right on, though.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2004 at 1:04pm
Update:

I was over to Dave's house last night. He has fry everywhere! He had 13 new fry that had metamorphosed recently. The original four are still going and he had a couple hundred larvae as well.

Thanks to the now infamous jimL, Dave has more rotifers than he needs. That seemed to be the weakest link to his system - lack of rotifers. But now all the fish are eating and active. It is really a site to see anemone fish so small.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2004 at 7:43am
Thanks for the update Shane.

David and Jesse Tea

And a big thank you to JimL/Barnacle for coming through with rotifers.

Is everyone ready to buy baby A. frenatus?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 6:30pm
Bump for Rod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic