Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

17 Days ... & Counting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 17 Days ... & Counting
    Posted: April 18 2004 at 6:06pm
Dave Tea has been trying to raise tomatoe clown fry. He has six fry that have made it to 17 days! He is feeding them rotifers and baby brine shrimp. They look very happy and healthy. I'll try to get some pictures soon. Anyone else having success with clowns? What can he expect next?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2004 at 6:10pm

Email Mark  [email protected]

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2004 at 7:22pm
Wow, I went up to see David for some turbo snails yesterday and took a grundle of pics. I need to get them prepared and will edit this post asap. Keep reading....below...

One of my own babies looked like this:

and I wrote an article of my procedure that I'm happy to send to anyone that requests it by email. Adam gave my address.

Editing this post and answering Shane's questions from below, there were only four left. David seems to be on the right track, but I believe they need more food, as you can see from the cleanliness of the tank, there's not much in there to eat on a continual basis. We put a lot of BS Nauplii in before I left. I wish I had taken a pic after they had gorged and I also forgot to get a pic of the parents! Sorry.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2004 at 7:26pm
Love your word... grundle.  That's like a gross of bundles, right?Smile  Can't wait to see pix of the little 'uns!
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2004 at 7:33pm
Mark,
Sorry we missed you! You did get the right answering machine. Do you think Dave is on the right track. I don't have much advice to offer as I have never tried to raise fry. I am impressed with his success thus far though. Please post your pictures. I think people will find them interesting. Were all six fry still alive?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2004 at 8:47pm
Here are David's 2 day old A.frenatus larvae in a 10 gal tank:

Mouth open heading for a rotifer:

Edited by Mark Peterson
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2004 at 9:01pm
Here are Davids previous batch of ~16 day old A.frenatus after metamorphosis (where they change from larvae to real fishies!)(yes they have a second line, a broken line in this case, that may later disappear):

I see 2 in each of these pics

Edited by Mark Peterson
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2004 at 9:17pm

Shane,

I do have some advice.  I would get as many copepods as you can.  Copepods are the key item in raising just about any fish.  Seriously, they are the real deal.  I've heard from several fish breeders who simply swear by them. 

I have a friend who runs copepod.com and I will PM you her contact info.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2004 at 7:46pm
Do the fry feed on the copepods, or on the copepod spawn?  Would it be an "idea" to raise the fry in a refugium?  (selection of sizes of food items and types) Or would they decimate the 'pod population to the point of no return too quickly? Would Grammarus sized 'pods prey on the tiny larvae?  So many questions . . .
Richard
Alpine, UT
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2004 at 8:34pm
Just spoke with David. He still has four babies. He is trying to have as many of the larvae survive as possible. He has about 75 larvae and the parents spawned again today. He doesn't have enough phyto and rotifers. He could use more ASAP.

Please PM or call me to arrange and if anyone is traveling between SLC and Brigham City, perhaps they could deliver the "groceries"

He tells me that he wants to share the clownfish with the WMAS members (like coral frags), so anyone that helps will have first dibs.

Edited by Mark Peterson
JimL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 5:40am
    I have a very good, big (DIY) system for raising
nannochloropsis (rotifer algae) and I am willing to help, but
only if I am appreciated.   I have had much success with rotifers
too. But... I don't have anything going right now. Could start
some though. I live in Ogden.

JimL
JimL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 5:48am
Oh I forgot... I also have a good grow-out system. It's full of
other fish now but... it's still a possibilityin the future.

JimL
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 6:34am
I can share fry food, but I live on the other side of the planet!

I've got an empty nursery tank right now, might be a bit 'till I need it!
Darn it!

Jared Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2004 at 8:20am

Here is a little movie of the young'uns

ftp://www.rescuealert.com/pub/dt.wmv   (1.86 MB)

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Have you read my dinosaur theory yet?
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2004 at 9:53am
Can any one else get the movie to work??
Meeshi_ma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meeshi_ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2004 at 10:01am
I didn't have any problem getting it to work.  Cute little fish
Provo, Utah
Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2004 at 10:02am
That is awesome!!!  acerob - yes it worked in Media Player 9 for me.
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2004 at 10:05am
got it to work.  thats awesome.  how big do you think they are 1/8"??
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2004 at 4:42pm

It worked for me.  They are sooo cute.  Great job so far!

I will be going up past Brigham City in the next week or two.  I could take a bunch of whatever anyone wants to send.  I will let everyone know on this thread when I will be going for sure.  It will be a Saturday.

Rodney

Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2004 at 9:41am
Jared, Thanks for hosting the movie on your site. I'm glad it turned out. First try!
You changed your forum name! May I post some pics of you and Richard's gorgeous office tank?

Acerob, size can be determined from the pics above, almost 1/2" long.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic