Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Banggai Cardinals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banggai Cardinals
    Posted: April 20 2004 at 12:53pm

In the past five months I have attempted on three different occasions to purchase Banggai Cardinals for our tank.  I got three each time, acclimated for a couple of hours via slow drip in a bag floating in the sump.  Two groups came from F4U, one from From the Sea.  Out of all three groups I had only one individual survive for longer than a few days.  That one lasted about five weeks. 

What am I doing wrong? I know there are several people breeding these locally and hope to get some pointers, and maybe even some locally tank raised Banggai.

Mark, please see below: (In fact Mark, please come see us. We are feeling like the red-headed step-child of WMAS.)

SPECIFICS-

SET-UP- 200 gal tank, 290 lbs live rock, 240 lbs aragonite in 4” DSB,.  Lighting 12 hr cycle by 2x140 W actinics, 3x250 W MH, circulation/filtration 3000 gph skimmer & return pumps, 27 gal sump, 2x1200 gph circulation powerheads.

PARAMETERS- are 80 F, 1.023 SG, 400 CA, 3.72 ppm, Alkalinity 10.4 dKH, 0 Ammonia-Nitrite-Nitrate, 10% water change weekly Dose Iodine monthly.

FEEDING- I feed a mixture of various frozen foods three times per week, automatically dispensed dry pellets twice daily.

CORALS- Green Hammer, Yellow Porites, Yellow Palythoa, Purple Plating –Orange Plating -Brown Plating-Blue w/green Cup-Brown Branching Montipora, Green Pineapple, Met. Green Star Polyps, Thin Bar-PomPom-Tree Xenia, Silver/Green Alveapora, Candycane, Metalic Green Galaxia, Pipe Organ, Light Green Hydnophora, Brown Tree?, Green Nephthia, Tan Sarcophyton

CRUSTACEANS- Red Leg-Blue Leg-Scarlet-Blue Knuckle-Orange Knuckle Hermit Crabs, Astrea-Nerite-Nassarius-Bumble Bee  Snails, Banded Coral-Scarlet Cleaner-Peppermint-Blood/Fire-Spotted Anemone -Pedersen Anemone- Tiger Goby Shrimps, Emerald-Decorator-Anemone-Acro Crabs, Flame Scallop, Chiton.

OTHER INVERTS- Yellow Cucumbers, Sand Sifting-Harlequin Serpent-Red Serpent-Orange-Cream&Magenta Fromia- Burgundy Linkia Stars, Tan Encrusting Gorgonian, Purple Sea Blade, Tan Knobby Sea Rod, Purple-Green/Yellow Feather Duster-Coco-Red Cluster Duster Worms, Flower-Bubble Tip-Ritteri-Majano?-Unknown Anemones, Pink/Orange-Aqua Green-Metallic Green Ricordia, Purple-Lavender Frilly-Giant Brown-Green Stripe-Red-Orange/Red pimpled-Umbrella-Bullseye mushrooms, Yellow-Pink-Brown-Green-Orange-Baby Blue-Blundell Zoanthids.

FISH- Lawnmower Blenny, Pigmy-Coral Beauty- Angel, Green Chromis, Bangaii Cardinal, Four line-Flasher-Ornate Wrasse,  Purple Pseudochromis, Mandarin-Red Scooter Dragonets, Pearly Jawfish, Bicolor Anthias, Black Ray-Dragon-Diamond Goby, Yellow Tang, Typical and Black morph Ocellaris.

MACRO ALGAE- Pine Cone, Halimeda.

Richard
Alpine, UT
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 1:29pm
Richard you are not alone.. I love these little guys but seem to have the same problem you do. I have one left out of three...This is of my thrird batch of three... I am eagerly waiting for others to repsond this this question myself....
JimL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 1:31pm
   There should be a lot known about these fish. They are
probably the easiest to get to spawn. Have you tried a google
search to see if there are any specific recommendations as too
keeping and breeding them?
   I would think that there is a lot of information out there.

JimL
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 1:57pm

Wow!  I didn't know these were that "fragile".  I bought one from Incredible Pets about 6 weeks ago and he is doing great.  I must be lucky, iguess.

===========

Shawn Winterbottom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 2:18pm

I have a document I complied from many web sources which I have read and re-read numerous times. . . . I still have a series of dead Banggais.

Maybe we could have an electronic WMAS Atlas where such info could be posted, or at the least links could be posted re: specific species of living things.  How about it Adam, Mark, Jake???  We are already talking about Carl's Coral of the week/month or whatever (BTW, what did happen to that idea anyhow?).  This Atlas may be one step further along that same path!

Richard
Alpine, UT
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by 1mariner7 1mariner7 wrote:

We are already talking about Carl's Coral of the week/month or whatever (BTW, what did happen to that idea anyhow?). 

Either I am not communicating the information properly or pelople just aren't reading the posts or they just lost the desire. I will be trying something different for next week. Giving it one more try.

Something that I read on these fish Uand I think I discussed this with Arjen), in summary, is that they do well in groups when they are younger, but will kill eachother off in the latter juevinile stage down to a pair generally. Could it be that they just fought too much and stressed out?

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 3:04pm

i would think carl is correct ... they may have just been pretty stressed out. i haven’t had any trouble with my cardinals.

i just transferred two of my juvenile cardinals to my big tank from the refugium of a different system and i only did about 45 min acclimation. they are doing great. they have never struck me as fragile.  these are the first two from my breeding pair. so, i've had them since birth and they've gone through alot with no problems.

i noticed that aquatic dreams had about 6 in stock a week or so ago, hope that helps.

Edited by coreyk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 3:38pm
Carl, we never noticed any bickering among the Cardinals themselves ( no sign of tor fins or missing scales), or by other tankmates either. I have to admit that the first batch I did not see eat in the LFS, but the others I asked for and received that.  There did seem to be reluctance to immediatly feed in our tank.  But, when the dang things die in a day or two, it is pretty tough to get them on to any feed.
Richard
Alpine, UT
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 7:16pm
Hello it's me.

First I want to say thank you to the red-headed step child. And "Yes" I would be pleased to come sprinkle some of my "holy water" on your aquarium.

Now seriously...though I'm not sure I can be serious or be taken seriously, after a comment like that (for those that know about my holy water)

Carl is right about compatibility, in my experience it doesn't take long for the odd BC to feel shunned and die. It's as though it just knows that it isn't welcome by the pair and leaves mortality voluntarily! Same sex BC seem to be incompatible sometimes too.

Of course this does not answer the question of why none survive in your tank. For the answer to that question I must fast for three days then eat nothing but Golden Pearls for a day and then consult my Crystal Moon Light....

Hasn't everyone found an organism or two that do poorly in their aquarium? It doesn't appear to me that you are doing anything wrong. I've had fw tanks where everything did well except for guppies!

JimL is right. There is a plethora of info on the BC. One place to start is our own Sea Star Online in the Feb. 2002 issue.

Another excellent place to read about all kinds of breeding attempts for all kinds of marine organisms is the Breeders Registry. Please use the link in our Links page. (blue button to the left)
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 9:16pm
Richard isn't doing anything wrong, but for what it's worth, there are a couple things that I do differently, which may or may not make a difference in successfully keeping BC.

I do a 10% water change every other month even though Instant Ocean published a study a few years ago showing that the optimum water change was 10% per month. They found that anything more frequent than this gave no added benefit under normal conditions. And that's coming from a salt manufacturer!
More than one prominent hobbyist does less frequent water changes than this. I believe that good reef aquarium water is alive with 99.9% good, essential organisms. Changing it too often removes those organisms.

When adding new fish or mobile inverts, I never drip them. I believe this is more stressful and the longer the bag has been closed the more there are some ammonia-pH toxicity issues at play here. (I don't know if BC are more sensitive to these issues, but if they are, this may be your culprit.)
If the water is within a few degress, by my finger test, I don't float the bag. Neither do I float the bag if the tank water is warmer than the bag water. Only if the tank water is colder than the bag, do I float it for 5-10 minutes, unless I forget about it and come back a half hour later...whoops! We want the fish to go in our good aquarium as soon as possible. Have you ever been confined in a plastic bag as big as your bathroom? How long could you stay in there?

I guess I'll write the rest of the procedure just for the fun of it. With a clean bowl or small bucket set close to the aquarium, I gently pull the opened bag out of the small bucket which leaves the fish relatively undisturbed. Then, with a clean hand I gently lift the fish in my cupped hand placing my other hand over it so it cannot flip away and immediately set it in the tank. (I don't move certain Tangs this way for obvious reasons!)
After having used nets for most of my hobbyist years, this hand method is preferable because nets can be damaging to fish scales, gills, eyes, etc.

Also, moving a fish from one of my tanks to the other takes about 10 seconds, no acclimation! I figure that if I caught them in a net and move them still in the net, they freeze on the way to the next tank anyway so they are just thankful to get back into any water!

Also, if I bother to clean my hands and arms when I plan to spend some time in the tank, I use soap because I want all the oils and dirt removed. I just make sure to rinse and dry real good.

Coral get treated even less delicately than this and all the water, and LS if I can get it, goes into the tank with the coral. It would be great if every traded coral frag had at least a cup of LS to go with it! Like a combo meal

I hope this gives you a slightly different perspective on some things.

Mark

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 10:12pm

Can we get this moved to the FISH forum please?

Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 11:36am
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 11:38am
I hate to change the subject but I am interested in the water change information Mark shared. I have been avid about a 25% change monthly or more. Ive always thought when in doubt do a water change. I am wondering what the rest of you do??
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 12:17pm

Reef, I used to think the same way. In part I still do, at least with the when in doubt...

However, I will now go 3-4 months without a water exchange and when I do it is 10%. I have found nothing detrimental thus far and hopefully it remains that way. Call it an experiment (this is how I justify it) or call it lazy (most likely is) things have really become more stable, healthy and prolific since I started leaving things alone. I don't recommend it to everyone and there is certainly nothing wrong with frequent water exchanges. Find your comfort level, it will all work out from there.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Jared Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 12:34pm

I still wish we had a pipeline from the Gulf of Mexico to do water changes with.

Anyway back to the subject.  Is there any truth to the idea that these cardinals don't ship well during the winter months?  Could that be part of the problem?

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Have you read my dinosaur theory yet?
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 2:31pm
I would believe that it depends on how they are shipped. Generally, I believe that they heat packs and insulated containers do a pretty good job of keeping everything warm (and fuzzy).
In Syracuse

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic