Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Freshwater Dips during acclimation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freshwater Dips during acclimation
    Posted: April 20 2004 at 2:09pm
I am wondering what the group thinks on doing a FW/formalin Dip before putting new fish in main tank assuming that there is no QT.  I know this causes extra stress on the fish on introduction, but is it worth it to hopefully wipeout and hitchiking parisites??
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 2:11pm
If your tank is healthy enough, and you buy from a reputable LFS that keeps "healthy" tanks you shouldn't have to do a FW dip ever IMO.
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 2:19pm
Many LFS run trace copper in their tanks anyways. So, IMO, if you have as Ryan W. said it may be redundant, unnecessary and possibly more harm than good.
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Jared Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 2:26pm

These two articles where posted by chrisslc earlier on another thread.  The contain great information about guarding your display tank from parasites.

www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp

www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/sp/feature

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Have you read my dinosaur theory yet?
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 2:32pm
the reason I ask is I was reading wetwebmedia a few months ago and it was suggested on there.  I have already had a major outbreak of ich a few months ago, and hope to avoid that going forward.
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 3:16pm

Jared, Good articles.  although this has broght me back to the same question.  the article on reefkeeping especially article 2 mentions several times that FW dips should be employed on new fish arrival.

"With all that I have discussed concerning freshwater dips my position on its use may seem a bit murky. Just to clarify, I do employ and advocate the use of freshwater dips when first receiving fish. I believe all fish that can be dipped should be administered this treatment prior to placement into a proper quarantine tank. This is done in an effort to minimize all possible parasitic infections. I do not, however, recommend freshwater dips as a cure for Cryptocaryon irritans. In my opinion, the repeated handling and osmotic shock of repeated dips are far too stressful to warrant its usage when other proven, but less aggressive treatments are available such as hyposalinity or daily water changes. Lastly, assuming freshwater dips can kill the embedded trophonts on a fish, once they are returned to the infected aquarium, they are just going to contract this pathogen again. So, I recommend using them and using them once only upon receiving the fish to minimize all possible parasitic infections."

any other opinons on this matter??

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 3:54pm

I maybe a little off the subject but a diatomaceus earth filter will also filter the free flaoting Cryptocaryon Irritans from your tank.  This would help keep the outbreak to a minimun.

Rodney

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic