Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 225g Build Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 29303132>
Author
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 9:32pm
Looks great Bob! One of these days I'll make it out to see it.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 9:33pm
Looking good Bob!! That clam is awesome! 
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 9:47pm
Holy CLAM!!!!!!!!!!
Life is good....right?
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 10:07pm

The established corals are all coming along, too

Neon  Green Candy added 2 heads in 3 weeks Clap

Blue Candy starting to come back

Red - Orange Acans going strong

More Acans

Slowly, but surely, the bleached-out Frogspawn is starting to color back up

The ORA Red Planet is coloring up nicely

And it looks like at least 1 of the RBTAs survived the "sump light fell into the sump" thing from last month Big smile

BTW... this is this thread's 600th post (Shocked)

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Now I just gotta get a better cameraWink

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 2:39am
Since I have had my 400w MH setup over my 225g for about a year now, i figured it was probably time to change the bulbs.

I had been running a Reeflux 12K on the left side of the tank, and an XM 10K on the right.
The Reeflux side was a little "bluer" than the XMside - which was basically pure white.

Anyway, I thought I might give these Plusrite MH bulbs a try. These are the bulbs which sell for less than 1/4 the price of the more famous name brands (like XM, Reeflux, Hamilton, etc).

So, I went online last Sunday night and ordered (2) 400w 20K Plusrite bulbs from www.1000bulbs.com I had heard that the 20Ks were the best looking; and I was looking for a little more blue and more 'pop' out of my corals anyway.

Total for the 2 bulbs was $34, including shipping Shocked

Not bad, considering the 1 Reeflux alone set me back $80 when I got it a year ago...Confused

But I was concerned about a few things; namely, how would the bulbs look (colorwise) and how well would they perform.

Alot of people love to tout that old adage "You get what you pay for", so I was hoping for a good deal - but would not be shocked if they, well... sucked.

Anyway, the package arrived Friday afternoon via Fedex truck.
Came packaged in a carton about the size of a shoebox. A good amount of crumbled paper and foam 'peanuts' inside to protect the bulbs.

The bulbs themselves came packed in the usual cardboard box:

The box is printed all in English (I heard these bulbs were made in China) and it shipped from Texas.

The bulbs look well built; they are your typical looking MH mogul bulbs. Maybe a half - inch shorter than the Reeflux, and a full inch shorter than the monster-sized XM bulb.

I screwed them in, crossed my fingers, and fired them up.

They ignited instantly, but took a good 3 - 4 minutes to come to full power and true color.
I was worried at first, because they fire up very dim and a little yellow initially.

Once they came full on, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised:

A really nice, medium blue... about as blue overall as a Pheonix 14K DE bulb, maybe a liittle less in the blue spectrum and a little more in the purple spectrum than the Pheonix.

What really suprised me though, was how bright these bulbs are!

Now, maybe it is because my old bulbs were a year old and had lost some "punch"... but these Plusrite 20Ks are most definitely brighter than the old bulbs. Enough of a difference that even my wife noticed the change Wink

Here is a shot of the tank with the new bulbs, followed by a similar shot taken last week with the old bulbs.

New Plusrite 20K bulbs

Old Reeflux / XM combo

Now, these photos were taken with a plain old Fiji point-and-shoot digital, that is great for taking landscape shots, but only so-so for tank shots. So, I don't think the "brightness" difference comes out nearly as much in these pics as it does in person. But you can see the difference in hue and 'pop' between the two - take a look at the Neon Green Candycane colony in the far left on both shots to see the color difference.

So, for visual appeal, I would give these Plusrite bulbs a hearty Thumbs Up

Now, as far as performance goes... well, I don't have a PAR meter so I couldn't say if they are performing as well as the old brands. I can just tell you the tank itself defintiely looks brighter for sure.

Corals seem to be loving it so far; real nice polyp extension on the SPS - and alot more 'pop' on everything!

I'll keep an eye on coral growth and health, to see if these bulbs are really as good a deal as they seem to be so far.

But - so far...

Seems like a GREAT deal to me!!!

ClapClapClapClapClap

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 3:01am
looking good, is there any way to show any PAR rating?
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 4:01am
I don't have a meter.

And if I did, what I would want to do is a "side by side" type comparison against other brands of 20K bulbs; to make sure it is an "apples to apples" comparison.

I know there have been several threads on RC and other sites about these bulbs. The basic synopsis from the threads I have read - including one by Sonjay, who is like the "PAR king" over on RC... is that the Plusrite 20Ks are about "middle of the pack" in PAR values; less PAR than the 'best' 20Ks (Radiums, Guisemann, Ushio) but better PAR than some of the others (Hamilton, Reeflux, Aquamaxx). I think they were about equal to the XM 20K 400... He also said that his tests showed the Plusrite start to colorshift earlier than the name brands (about 8 - 9 months vs. avg of 11 - 12 a months for the name brands) and he recommends replacing the Plusrites about every 9 months instead of the usual once a year on most of the name brands.

Honestly though, with the HUGE price difference, I figure I can swap these out every 6 months @ $35 a pair (or $70 per year) to keep PAR output maximized, and still come out way ahead vs. spending $150 - $160 on 2 name brand bulbs once a year...

I just want to give it enough time to look at growth rates and coloration on my corals before I am 100% convinced. So far, no browning or bleaching or adverse reactions (although it has only been a few days); and going from 10 - 12Ks to 20Ks of any brand will mean a loss of PAR (the lower K bulbs almost always have a higher PAR than the higher K, better looking - IMO - bulbs, no matter what brand)...

As long as these things don't turn pee yellow in a month, or hurt my corals...

Then I am good.

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 12:54pm
do you have links to this sonjay? im interested on his review of his PAR ratings im looking to replace my DE HQI 150w MH bulbs soon
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 1:24pm
The tank looks good!

I think a lot of the expense in this hobby is simple branding. I bought some activated carbon at walmart for $5 and then went to petsmart for a hydrometer. I noticed that the same size tub of carbon from Marineland was $12. Sometimes I wonder if it's companies just taking advantage of reef hobbyists due to a limited market. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 2:29pm

One of the big "tricks" in commerce is to get people to pay as much as possible for something, regardless of value.  Branding is a key way to do this.  I worked for a bread company and they had the exact same bread that they would put in two different bags.  The one was seen as "discount" bread and the other was sold as a "fancy" bread.  One cost twice as much as the other and there wasn't a crumb of difference inside the wrapper.  I still shake my head in the store when I see well-dressed ladies passing over the one wrapper for the more expensive twin.

When we go ahead and pay over the top for stuff that says "Reef" on it, we just perpetuate the predatory pricing.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 8:33am
Originally posted by SGH360 SGH360 wrote:

do you have links to this sonjay? im interested on his review of his PAR ratings im looking to replace my DE HQI 150w MH bulbs soon

Here's a few of his projects:

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 8:47am
Originally posted by vadryn vadryn wrote:

One of the big "tricks" in commerce is to get people to pay as much as possible for something, regardless of value.  Branding is a key way to do this.  I worked for a bread company and they had the exact same bread that they would put in two different bags.  The one was seen as "discount" bread and the other was sold as a "fancy" bread.  One cost twice as much as the other and there wasn't a crumb of difference inside the wrapper.  I still shake my head in the store when I see well-dressed ladies passing over the one wrapper for the more expensive twin.

When we go ahead and pay over the top for stuff that says "Reef" on it, we just perpetuate the predatory pricing.

I don't disagree, Travis...

I do think that there is some quality / price correlation; certainly a Bubble King skimmer is a better skimmer than a Seaclone, for example; but yeah, alot of it is just branding and hype.

You also have to remember that this hobby (the SW part, anyway) is still mainly viewed as a "luxury" class of hobby; that is why we have things like $1500 skimmers and $1400 light fixtures and $500 vortechs and $500 Apex controllers... the manufacturers are obviously getting enough business on these high-end products to stay in the business of making and selling them. And there are enough people with the cash and desire to have the most expensive whatever - usually just so they can boast about how much the dang thing cost LOL

My only beef is when they hype their high-end product as SO much better in quality than a mid-priced competitor; a great example is skimmers like the new Reef Octopus cone series- you can now truly get like 85 - 90% of the total performance of a $1500 BK for around 1/3 the price... BK fanatics love to talk about the famous BK "build quality" and the Red Dragon pump but honestly, as long as you are not throwing the skimmer around the room, is it worth an extra grand just for the thicker, red colored acrylic and a pump that saves you maybe $5 - 10 a year in electricity and is a few decibels quieter when running..?

I mean, after all we are talking about a piece of equipment that is gonna sit inside a sump and collect fish crap (literally)... how pretty does it have to look?

Edited by BobC63 - October 26 2010 at 8:48am

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 1:06pm
OK, so I went a little crazy at the Reef Fest... Wink

But, heck, there were just so many cool corals and alot of great deals - what else could I do???!!! LOL

I shot these pics Sunday afternoon, maybe 16 hrs after getting the corals into the tank. A couple are still not too happy about the move, but most are already looking really sweet!

And I do think I want a better camera... my wife's point-and-shoot Fuji just ain't cutting it, especially on the cloro saturation, white balance and closeups.

But, here are the shots anyway -----

Can you pick out all the new corals???

Left side

Right side

New corals from the MWRF include:

This awesome Yellow Long Tentacle Fungia from Chad... it  is about 6" across and has a neon green mouth

This sweet Orange Fungia came from Steel City Corals (sorry about the blurryness; camera limitations)

Beautiful Orange Torch from Reef Kingdom

Super nice Yellow Acro from Aquatic Dreams

And I ended up with a couple of sweet Scoly's...

This first one I consider the "deal of the show". It is a Peach Scoly that is almost the size of a deck of playing cards. Guess how much I paid for it - and which booth I got it at?

A peach ring, surrounded by a green ring, surrounded by a purple ring - way nicer in person than these pics

Should I tell you the price first, or the vendor first..?

I bet you didn't guess that it was only $60 Shocked and that I got it from Brad at the "The Aquarium" booth ClapClapClap

Here is the other Scoly. Definitely a pretty one, and not cheap.

The wife picked this one out - not that I am complaining.

From Dave at Reef Kingdom:

About 2" - 2.5" in diameter...  and wild colors!

With flash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, in addition to those sweet MWRF corals, I also picked up a few other pieces from WMAS members at the Fest:

From Jackie (bstuver) I got:

This pretty Yellow Scroll (brighter in person)

This giant foot-wide Toadstool that used to belong to Jeff (bugzme) and is still quite 'pissed' that it got moved:

And a softball-sized,  60+ head Duncan that is also mad at being moved - but is coming out slowly:

Lastly, I got a Long-Spine Uchin from somebody - it was so crazy I can't even remember who LOL but thanks (in the pic it is sticking out of the rockwork; look for the spines)

Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 7:03pm
I was eyeing both the yellow acro and long tentacled fungia! Good to see they found a good home! Luckily the guy from Steel City had 2 of those sweet orange fungias!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

I was eyeing both the yellow acro and long tentacled fungia! Good to see they found a good home! Luckily the guy from Steel City had 2 of those sweet orange fungias!

So you were the two that got those sweet orange fungias! I tried to buy one as soon as I could and they were already sold at the very start! Arg!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by jwoo jwoo wrote:

Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

So you were the two that got those sweet orange fungias! I tried to buy one as soon as I could and they were already sold at the very start! Arg!

Yep!

You should see the sweet chalice I got from Aquatic Dreams. I feel like I ripped them off considering what they sold it for!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 12:48am
the urchin came from me, I'm glad it made the trek from ogden ok.  I was a bit worried about it in that yogurt container, but it was the best I could find.   Glad its doing well.
PJ
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 2:17am
Looking good! That toadstool will take a bit to come out he gets really pissed when he is moved but you will love it when it does!!! It is one piece that I will miss:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
JoshD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoshD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 10:51pm
Man your tank looks AWESOME!  However i have one question.... What is your power bill like with that? I was given a 150g  with 3x 250wMH that i would love to setup... it would be a great improvement from my 54g corner now.  I am trying to get an idea of operation costs of a larger setup. But i am not sure about some of the variables like pumps and other lighting setups. Any input on this would be great. Thanks in advance and again the tank looks fantastic.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2010 at 8:03pm
pgravis - thansk again for the urchin Big smile

So far it is doing really well Clap

Josh -

The power bill really isn't terribly bad... I would estimate this tank runs me around $40 a month in electricity.

One of the things I did when I got this tank was I went around the rest of the house and replaced all my standard light bulbs with those 'energy saver' CFL bulbs... that dropped my power bill by almost $30 a month Shocked so when I started up the tank the net bill only went up like $10 - $15 a month...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 29303132>
  Share Topic