Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 225g Build Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 225g Build Thread
    Posted: March 03 2008 at 1:53pm
I figured I might as well start this now; before I start setting things up and forgetting to post about it...

STEP 1: Getting the Tank in the House

So far, we have managed (barely avoiding hernias, BTW) to get the 225g tank / stand / canopy into the house and set up in the Front Room. Here is a shot of me next to the tank - keep in mind I am 6 foot 1 in tall ; I feel 'small' next to it :

Even though the 225 is the same length (6 ft) as the 125, it just looks so much bigger due to the taller / deeper tank and the total height of the thing. Here is a pic showing the 125 and 225 in the same view to show the size difference:

Other than setting it in the room, the only thing I have done so far is work on the lighting...

STEP 2: Lighting the Tank

I am going to use my existing 3 X 250 MH fixture when I take the 125 down. However, the
fixture was exactly 72" (6 feet) long and would not fit inside the new canopy which is 70.5" inside length Confused - so I had to "cut down" the fixture Shocked

What I did was remove the endcap from the fixture, relocate the PC ballasts inside the fixture, then use a coping saw to remove 2" of the aluminum fixture housing. It took almost an hour to cut off the 2" piece; I'm sure it would have gone alot faster with a power tool but I was worried about cutting wires or not making a straight cut.

It ended up just fitting inside the new canopy... however, when I went to put it back onto the 125, the shortened fixture now doesn't allow the legs to reach over the 125 frame Angry

So, I ended up removing the legs all together and I made a couple of wood braces to hold up the fixture:

Next up, I will probably build the plenum and then add sand and base rock.
I also have to go downstairs and put in a few joist supports for the floor...

Edited by BobC63 - October 24 2012 at 8:52pm
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 2:01pm
take pictures while your setting up the plenum. I am interested to see how its done. if you could post instructions along with picts, I would sure appreciated it.
hairmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 2:33pm
bob, that is a monster. it is going to be sweet! i look forward to seeing it come together.Thumbs%20Up

"Logic is your friend"
west side salon 250-5314
8370w 3500s magna.
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 4:33pm
That tank should be really nice when you're done.  I'm looking forward to doing this sometime soon, (wife says new house=new tank) so keep the pictures flowing!
210 gallon Mixed Reef
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 4:49pm
It looks like a lot of fun.
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 4:59pm

Cool! Can't wait to see them fill up with water/rocks/corals.  Keep the pics coming. 

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 6:19pm

It's looking good Bob. I really like the height of the stand too.

Mike

soundsurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 6:20pm
Wow, that tank looks familiar.  So are the ceilings high enough to open the canopy. HA.  Looks great.  Keep the posts on the stuff you do with it.  I am very excited to see what becomes of it.
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 6:26pm
Nice score Bob!!

I can't wait for the updates. . take a picture of yourself in the tank like:

Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 6:28pm
Thats a monster tank!!! How fun for you..
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 6:28pm

The ceiling is 8 ft so I can open the canopy. I will need to fabricate some kind of hinge or prop to hold it open, as it is such heavy wood construction that it is hard to hold it open and do any kind of work on the tank at the same time...

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 6:30pm
Amy, I think that even if I managed to get inside the tank I wouldn't be able to get back out LOL  - Soundsurfer is alot younger (and thinner) than I am

Edited by carlso63 - March 03 2008 at 6:31pm

sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 6:32pm
Okay just stuff your kids in there. .  LOL totally kidding!

I'm jealous of the big tank!!!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by bannshy bannshy wrote:

take pictures while your setting up the plenum. I am interested to see how its done. if you could post instructions along with picts, I would sure appreciated it.

Will do, Jeremy... it is actually quite easy to set a plenum up - you'll see Wink

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by sukie sukie wrote:

Okay just stuff your kids in there. .  LOL totally kidding!

I'm jealous of the big tank!!!

I told my wife when the time comes she can bury me in it

john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 10:11pm
you suck just kiddin but i did want that tank BAD looks great and will be alot of fun to see it come to life
out with the large and in with the nano
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 8:26pm
Today I got started on the extra support for the floor below the set up... I went and ordered a pair of these:

"Floor jacks", "Basement jacks", whatever you want to call them... they adjust up to 7.5 feet tall and are rated at 16,000 lb each @ 36" extension and 11,000 lb each at 72" extension - so 2 jacks at around 84" extension should be able to support maybe 18,000 lb total - way more than the tank will weigh out when full. I used 4 X 4 wood supports only for my 125; I thought these would be a better long-term solution to deal with the added loads the 225 will put on the floor...

It was actually kind of hard to find these out here in UT. Back east, these supports where commonplace and you could just go out to HD and get them locally. No such luck here, had to order them online. Not too bad though, $75 for the pair (including shipping)... they should be here in about a week. Then I'll just pick up 2 of those preformed concrete "deck supports" (they kind of look like a pyramid with a flat top) to put under the jacks, and a decent 8 ft 4 X 4 to use as a header between the top of the jacks and the floor joists.

If my joists are 16" on center, then the 6 ft tank should span 4 joists as they run perpendicular to the length of the tank along the wall it is set up next to. I'll use the 2 jacks cat the 2.5 ft and 5.5 ft points of the 4 X 4 to keep the downforce weight of the tank spread out as evenly among the 4 joists and the supports as possible.

Once they arrive, it should only take maybe an hour or 2 to set them up. Once I do I'll post a pic for anyone interested in seeing how to set them up...

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 9:34pm
It looks like a great solution for peace of mind.

Mike

cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 9:34pm
i'm guessing they arent offered out here b/ cit seems basements are few and far between. everyone out east has a basement though ;)
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2008 at 8:20pm
It seems that while I was away this weekend in California on business my floor jacks arrived via UPS... so today, once I woke up (since I just got home at 1 AM from the airport), I went over to HD and picked up 2 of those solid concrete supports and a 4X6 header post (8 ft long). Not taking any chances with only a 4X4 post (especially since the price difference was only 3 dollars...) Properly set up, should support maybe 18 - 20,000 lb. which is prob 5X the tanks weight when full Thumbs%20Up

Hopefully I will have the time Thursday to bring it all downstairs, set up the jacks and the supports, and snap a pic or 2 of how it turns out.

The good news is - once that is done - I can start planning on the more "fun" stuff; plenum building, sump set up and plumbing, rock & sand collecting / cleaning... and then filling the tank Big%20smile 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>
  Share Topic