Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hair algae problem/edited question 3-10-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
boogey247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boogey247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair algae problem/edited question 3-10-08
    Posted: March 07 2008 at 1:26pm

So I am having quite the problem with hair algae. As you can see in the picture it is getting pretty out of control. Luckily I have the 55 setup and running so most of the livestock and clean rock will be transferred to it tonight. The anemone and the clown will stay until I get the other clown in the other tank. What can I do to cleanup this mess? I have heard that Sea Hares work wonders on problems like this. Has anybody had any luck using one and how quickly do they move?

Edited by boogey247 - March 10 2008 at 1:26pm
29 Gallon Bow Front
55 Gallon with 25 gallon sump
24 Gallon Nano
Pond
2 dogs + 2 cats + fish + 1 year old daughter = zoo. Welcome to my house.
Josh
gizmond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 2:04pm

I've used one once. Amazing critters. Took em about a week. They will starve though so make sure you can take it back to your LFS or sell to someone else when finished. Try Fish 4 U, they will take it back for 1/2 price credit. Note that it won't solve your issue though, so better to investigate why or what's causing the algae. Otherwise you will just have the same problem eventually. Lot's of info on this topic here.

Jeff 
Jeff, Kari, Nate
75g Pirate Tank

"No one is completely useless. They can always serve as a bad example."     Anonymous.
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 3:30pm
http://www.garf.org/ And read the sea star, Lots of answers in the older issuesThumbs%20Up
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
kdinkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdinkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 3:46pm
I have one right now and he is doing a great job!
boogey247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boogey247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 12:30pm

I am going to pickup the sea hare and see what happens. I have also cut the light down to about 4 or 5 hours a day. My question is will my skimmer on the 55 help clear up the algae in the 29. The skimmer is huge, 220 gallons, so how long should I run it for and will it actually help with the hair algae problem? Thanks.

Edited by boogey247 - March 10 2008 at 12:31pm
29 Gallon Bow Front
55 Gallon with 25 gallon sump
24 Gallon Nano
Pond
2 dogs + 2 cats + fish + 1 year old daughter = zoo. Welcome to my house.
Josh
GARFVolunteer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 5:53pm
I made a video of my sea hare in action last night.  Sped the video up by x6...

It sure mows down the algae when it finds it.  Ate a 2x2 square in about 10 minutes...

Thanks,

Scott
President Idaho Marine Aquarium Society
A fair and biased reef hobbyist
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 6:07pm
I got a sea hare the other day and it mowed down my algae like crazy! For a day... then it found its way into a maxijet mod Unhappy
Pleasant Grove
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic