Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

March 2008 Meeting Recap and Pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March 2008 Meeting Recap and Pics
    Posted: March 07 2008 at 9:57pm
March 6th, 2008
Attendance- 48 people when we started playing Bingo

Tank of the Month- Jim Brimley (WingNut)
Jim has a 210 gal aquarium (72x24x29)
He uses 250 watt reeflux halides, a standard sump and large ASM skimmer.
Jim has 20 species of very diverse fishes, tons of corals, but also many invertebrates.  The three things I found most interesting were 1) he has a Garibaldi damselfish that he brought home from Mexico 2) he does a 40 gallon water change every week 3) while he has fishes and coral like everyone else, he also has a very large collection of shrimp and crabs.
A great looking tank, near the Sugarhouse area (by our club meeting location).  To learn more about Jim's tank please click on Tank of the Month on the left <---- or contact him to see it in person anytime.

Game Night-
Tonight we played a version of Reef Bingo.  This meeting was led by Debbie Morril and Eva Rushton.  The two of them did an absolute fabulous job of running the show.  They made a bunch of bingo cards with all sorts of reef words and phrases. 
Each paid membership was worth two Bingo cards.  Additional cards sold for $5 each, or 3 for $10. 
A powerpoint slide show presented questions and the first person to raise their hand with the correct answer (this was a little more chaotic than expected) earned a small prize.  After playing for 40 minutes we had several Bingos in the crowd.  Each time someone got Bingo they were given a ticket for the final raffle. 
The final raffle included many prizes by some wonderful sponsors and donors.  To see a list of our club sponsors please visit our sponsors page (Ahhemmm, Jake- the sponsors page?).

Congrats to all the winners, thanks to the many club members who came to play, and a HUGE THANK YOU to Debbie and Eva for putting together one of the most fun and entertaining meetings we've had.

Next Month's Meeting- Calcium Reactors
Please join us as club member and calcium reactor guru Corey Price leads the way.  Corey will be explaining everything you need to know about building calcium reactors, and he'll even build one in front of us.  We'll also have a nice raffle during that meeting, guess what the prize will be....

Tables Set Up

Prizes to win

Bingo Cards

People Playing Bingo

Some of the goodies

Our Item of the Month For Sale

Check out the new nametags!

Adam

Edited by Adam Blundell - March 15 2008 at 11:24am
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 10:04pm
Will this include the TOTM or will Corey create a new thread for that?

Mike

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2008 at 7:31am
Hmmm, not sure.  The last two months I included TOTM and was planning to continue doing so.  I don't think Corey is planning to start a thread each month, just to update the site under the tank of the month heading <--------------
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2008 at 7:50am
Yeah, Jake has the TOTM write-up, which has far better looking pictures than what was on the projector. I believe he is going to post that soon, right Jake?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2008 at 8:58am
Thanks!

Mike

bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2008 at 9:25am
Alright, I give up what is TOTM?  Tank of the Month?

Edited by bannshy - March 08 2008 at 9:26am
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2008 at 11:11am
Originally posted by bannshy bannshy wrote:

Alright, I give up what is TOTM?  Tank of the Month?

Yes.  I laughed when I read this because the other day Jeff said the exact same thing.  He had looked everywhere including on the back of the WMAS card for the abbreviation TOTM. 

DebBig%20smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2008 at 12:05pm
Yes TOTM=Tank Of The Month. Congratulations WingNut! (Jim Brimley)

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2008 at 1:26pm
Okay. I didn't bring my camera to the meeting so I didn't get a picture of the great turn out, many new faces, and happy people winning tons of prizes at the Bingo game! I did however bring my camera to Jim's house to see his awesome and well deserved Tank Of The Month. Here's one of his Blue Jaw Triggerfish.

Mike

Edited by Mike Savage - March 08 2008 at 1:27pm

cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2008 at 2:05pm
nice mike!!! what type of camera are you using again? also what lens
We've been looking into a cannon rebel XTI, but I'm really a nikon fan. there is such a huge price difference in the two. As far as i've heard though the body really doesnt matter it's the lens????

thanks
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2008 at 2:36pm
Nikon D40 and Sigma 150mm macro. I had to really shrink that picture down to fit it on the page. That was also shot handheld with a moving fish. I will try to post more later. Go with whatever camera manufacturer/body has the best ergonomics to you. I've used Canon and Nikon and I like the feel of the Nikon as well as the location of the buttons and menu setup. I think Nikon has a better overall flash system but most people don't get in to photography that deep.  I'm sure you would be happy with either one.

Mike

Edited by Mike Savage - March 08 2008 at 5:35pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2008 at 8:01pm
Are Damsels supposed to have teeth? Here's a picture of Jim's Garibaldi Damsel.

Mike

dcros90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcros90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 5:35pm
great pics Mike!

Are you planning on a book?

I brush my teeth with bristle worms

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 5:53pm
A book?

Mike

dcros90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcros90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 5:58pm
yeah, like a picture boo, published and everything.

With pictures like that and your stuff.....what do you think?

I brush my teeth with bristle worms

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 6:11pm

Thanks for the compliment!

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 6:14pm
How about his Purple Tang.

Mike

Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 11:04pm
I wish these pictures would have been visible on the projector.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 11:22pm
Me too. We seriously need a new projector to do justice to the Tank of the Month presentations.

Mike

boogey247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boogey247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 12:58pm
I can get really good prices on projectors. I work in the electronics industry and would be willing to help the organization with acquiring a projector. Please let me know if the organization is planning on buying one.
29 Gallon Bow Front
55 Gallon with 25 gallon sump
24 Gallon Nano
Pond
2 dogs + 2 cats + fish + 1 year old daughter = zoo. Welcome to my house.
Josh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic