Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help from Pros

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help from Pros
    Posted: February 22 2003 at 7:44am
Hi,WMAS Big-wigs!! I found this soapbox,wanted to step up and make a speech.I know some people at my work who have a lots of money.I was talking to a surgeon about his 400 gallon tank,and I asked him if he had a swimming pool for a sump."What's a sump?".So, how often do you have to test? "Test what?".It turns out he pays to have someone else to set up,maintain and "clean" "his" tank.He has no more attachment to this tank than his couch or tv....It is just a piece of decorating,a status symbol......I've also met lot's of "fish person"s.They are kinda different people,people that start out with fish bowls in their childhood (anybody remember sea monkeys?) progress to a 10 gallon tank with minnows and tetras....Fish people have passion about our hobby,it's not just furniture,you know? Anyway,what I'm getting at is,I know a guy who has that spark,who is becoming that passionate fish person we used to be.His parents came with him to a meeting.I was taking to them.They are encouraging him without taking over.Cool,huh? He e-mailed me about some electrical issues I know nothing about!I asked him to contact you,you are so willing to help! Can you help him?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2003 at 10:02am

Suzy Suzy Suzy,

Bunch of fish nuts and computers.  I'm sure if your friend post his question someone here will be able to help out.  As for me, I'm no electrical guru.  Actually with one of my old tanks every time I stuck my hand in the water to feed the fish I received a small shock.  I just got use to it.  Probably not the best thing to here from the club president

The purpose of this club is to help the hobbiest, and I'm sure people here will do just that.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2003 at 11:49am
Hi,Adam?I'm trying to send you a message.The computer says you have too many messages!!Are you Mr popular or what?Or do you just need to clean out some stuff?
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2003 at 7:37pm
I don't know whether or not your heard but according to Marc Wiess you should "GROUND THAT TANK!"  Didn't you learn anything?!   Oh, maybe you couldn't hear him.  HEY I'VE GOT IT!!!  WE NEED TO GET ONE OF THOSE LAPEL MICROPHONES.  That might help so we can hear the nervous people, just stick it to 'em.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2003 at 4:49pm

To find out what appliance is zapping you, unplug them one at a time and if you don't like being zapped, use an ohmmeter/voltage tester. When you stop getting zapped that means the last one you unplugged is the cuplrit. Check it for cracked insulation or if you cannot find any physical evidence, either coat the joints and holes near the cord with aquarium silicone or through it away.

my 2 cents worth

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2003 at 3:22pm
I recommend grounding your tank.  Many times a combination of lights, pumps, etc. are to blame for the stray voltage.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic