Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magnetic Algae Scraper Ideas/suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magnetic Algae Scraper Ideas/suggestions
    Posted: March 24 2008 at 4:14pm
I would like to get one or two magnetic scrapers/algae removers.  I am looking at three different versions or considering making one myself.  Here are the three I am considering:

First, cheapest, most common, not sure how well they will work, the little one I have for my nano is none too strong.

Second, Algae free, not sure about the wood outside though it looks ok I am not too fond of Oak, probably stronger magnets??? replaceable scrubbers and felt, polishing kit available +++ Expensive! --

Third, Magnavore, appear to have stronger magnets, replaceable scrubbers and would probably work with polishing kit.  inside hangs over outside for easier corner cleaning.   May be lower profile inside.  Brushes available.  Expensive!--

DIY, magnets would be extremely strong, time consuming to make (though shouldn't be too bad) cheaper than even the magfloat, can make several, wood would match my stand exactly on the outside +++++, could use polishing kit, low profile inside and would hang over like the magnavore.

What do you all think?  What do you use?  I am tired of climbing in my tank to clean it and if I could do it from outside, I think it would stay cleaner and I would enjoy doing it as I could at least watch the fish and coral while I clean.  I like the idea of having it match my stand.  I am a little worried about the ratings on thickness.  My tank is 3/8" acrylic on the cube, 4mm glass on the  nano.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by jpndave - March 24 2008 at 4:16pm
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 5:32pm
I use Magnavore and love it. Strong enough to scrape off coralline. Corey Price got a steal when he just bought mine for $35.
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 6:27pm
Dave - check out the Nimble, at least for you Biocube. I got the Nimble Super for my 29 BC and it's amazing. Strong enough to scrub the small coraline spots off, works really good in the corners, and is extremely low profile for getting into tight spaces.

"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 6:48pm
i honestly wouldnt use a magnet on your acrylic tank

thats just me. I've tried a few of them and they all scratch. I just use scrapers for the inside every couple days, and really do a job on it once a week.

all it takes is one grain of sand in that magnet to put a huge scratch in your tank
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 8:32pm
I think Mr. Savage has the nimble, Very small and very powerful....
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 8:42pm
I do indeed. It works great on the 10 gallon tank but not very well on the RSM which has 5mm thick glass. I have the Super Nimble.

Mike

jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 12:08am
I am going to try one of those Super Nimbles, at least on the nano.  I may get a magnavore too.  Are their recommended thicknesses on or should I go to a heavier magnet than they recommend?

Edited by jpndave - March 25 2008 at 12:09am
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 8:13am
The "Super" is their strongest. That is what I would go with.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic