Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cutting Leathers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutting Leathers
    Posted: February 24 2003 at 8:04am
Hi,WMAS propagation gurus! I have seen you,and I have cut leathers tons o' times. But we got a gorgeous yellow leather this weekend.The salesman said not to cut it, it is very fragile. I love to have more than one of stuff,it looks more natural that way. And I want a feng-shway aquarium! It was so pricey that I thought I better see if anyone else has killed by propagation...Do you think it's any more fragile than your run o' the mill cabbage leather (I think you could put one of those in a blender and not hurt it!!) Thanks!!
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 9:16am
Yellow leathers are very touchy.  I would wait to do any type of propagation.  IF the leather is still alive in a couple of months then I would go ahead and try to propagate it.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 9:19am

If it is such a fragile coral, (which I don't know without knowing the actual name.  I have a Yellow Tonga Leather.)  Try this.  It is called the 12 o'clock cut.  Take the leather, get a very sharp  pair of scissors and right at 12:00 cut in as deep as you would like.  Put the coral back in it's spot and leave it for about a week.  You want the cut to be heal.  The next cut is at 3:00.  Let this cut heal.  When it is all healed, you cut at the point of 12 and 3, there you go you have a frag.  The mother leather will look bad for a little while, but will come right out of it and look like nothing ever happened.

John "reefaquarist"

John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 9:44am
Sorry, I agree with Jake, Please wait until you know the leather has become accustomed to it's new surroundings.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2003 at 2:51pm
i had a yellow fiji leather that died from stress because it kept falling from the mount it was on, as soon as its base detached from the rock it was dead in 3 days
sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2003 at 9:38am

Suzy, my experience cutting a yellow leather coral is both good and bad.  First of all I can't remember where it came from.  Iv'e been told that some are hardier than others. 

I waited roughly a month and a half until I could wait no longer.  I made a typical cut from the perimeter of the coral.  I then cut it into five cuttings.  It just so happened that I took all of the rock out of the tank shortly after this.  After I put all the rock back in, I managed to loose track of 3 of the cuttings.  The other two cuttings are doing really well.  However the original leather is no longer with us.  Since it didn't die emediately after I cut from it, I can't say exactly what the cause of death was.  It didn't look bad at all until I moved it in my tank.  I finally moved it back as close as I could to where it was placed originally but it was to little and too late.

I say, live by the scissors die by the scissors but use caution by following the previous posts advise of letting the coral get accustomed the tank.  There are some water parameters that leathers can be sensitive to when propagating that may be of concern.  I read about them on the internet a couple years ago.  Mabe someone out there in WMAS land can pick up from here since I can't remember what those parameters are.   

Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2003 at 5:12pm
As Jake says, let it become accustomed to your water parameters first. I have propagated a yellow leather, against everyones advice, with no ill effects, but not until I was sure it liked the environment. If it grows it likes the environment. I think I cut it at about two months. This leather doubled in size in a year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic