Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the sucking aquarium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 11:45am
I happily shop at the Aquarium.  Great place if you ask me.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
fishman90G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 11:46am
i like walking through there like it was a museum.
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 12:32pm

Ah, the virtual elephant in the virtual room.

How does one complain about a bad experience of a local store that many of us frequent and are loyal to?

The answer:

If you must complain, do so tactfully and tastfully.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 12:53pm
i second that motion because even though i dont like their prices and think they the customer service isnt the best since the last time i was there i was being helped and the employee told me to hold on so he could help a "regular" that had shown up after i did so i was there first. but yes complaints must be written as tactfully and tastyfully as possible as to not offend the members here that like the store and have had nothing but good experiences there. i know people that have had good experiences t "the aquarium" and bad ones at "aquatica".
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 1:07pm
I think every store we have locally has a its good and bad points. I personally like the Aquarium because they have a very wide selection, beautiful tanks that are well kept up, and when I need something that is not an everyday item I can usually find it there when I have been unable to find it elsewhere.
cbarney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbarney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 1:09pm
I figure I'll add my two cents. I have been fairly happy with the Aquarium when I make it down that way (cheap frags are great). I have been really happy with my L-LFS,  Aquatic Dreams since I'm up north. The staff took some time to warm up but have been very honest and helpful. But I do have have to say that I'm not a fan of Bird World, especially lately,  full price receding LPS? and not a whole lot of selection.
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 2:19pm
Well I love Brad and the boys so I have to chime in.  You DO get what you pay for and I will gladly pay more to have a clean, modern store, with excellent selection, healthy live stock, and wonderful employees.

I must say, with your attitude " baby children" & "un intelligent youngsters" are you suprised they might not be wanting to spend alot of quality time with you??  With a statement like that, I am assuming that you are of superior intellect and not really needing their advice anyway..  So lucky you, just go for the excellent selection.  If your still not happy, the owners name is Brad. Ask for him and Im sure he will help you in anyway he can. 

Brad has been wonderful to me. I have done coral trades and must say I came out ahead 9 times out of 10.  He has gone as far as calling me and giving me his personal cell phone so I could get ahold of him when he thought I was not happy with something I got there.  When I said that it had died, he replaced it free of charge. It was a 100.00 frag from his show tank..... I cant imagine any other store doing this.  Does he do this for everyone, well Im sure he does not.  I guess what I am saying it that you tend to get what you give. I give him alot of money and in return, I get great service..... It is a win, win for everyone.

Let me put it this way, if you are buying a Mercedes for the 4th time that year, do you think you will get better service from the salesman    then the guy who is there for the 8th times and never buys anything other nuts from the machine???

Lighten up and play nice in the sand box............ Im sure they are doing the best they can... Tongue   

Edited by Connie - April 03 2008 at 3:03pm
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 3:04pm
I just got back from the aquarium and enjoyed perusing the nice goodies Evil%20Smile that I wish I had.
The parking lot and store were packed.
I enjoyed looking at the fish and all of the coral frags.Tongue
I bought some Magnesium powder.
Brad was right there to help me and even helped me figure out which product gave me more for my money.
I went away happy, after all, isn't that the whole idea? Smile
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 4:04pm

The biggest problem for most people is that they don't understand how much is involved in an lfs, everyone wants products for wholesale, well take that wholesale tang you want add in the $10 boxcharge from the wholesaler the cost of heat packs the $50 shipping per box, the pick up/delivery from the air port, the time involved with acclimation, even if its just floating the bags.....

Now everyone knows the electricity costs of their own tanks, multiply that by 100, this doesn't even account for products that die, when walmart brings in goods, they don't have to worry about there dvd players going belly up, things happen with live goods and when they die the store is left with the cost this is part of the markup....

As mentioned crystal and I have received some great deals there, they have a decent selection of used equipment and a great selection of plumbing/replacement parts.

Be an educated shopper, it is your job primarily to know what you doing/buying.  I get so fed up with people saying but my lionfish ate my clownfish, they should replace my fish.....etc etc.  Stores are somewhat to blame, but if everyone spent the $20 to get a marine fishes book  they wouldn't have any of these problems.

Tell me would any of the EXPERTS here work for $8 an hour to take the place of the "little kids", I personally take the time to explain to any lfs worker if they are wrong, and often the kids are the ones that want to learn more, whats your definition of a kid (I'm 24), fairly young but doesn't mean that I'm not knowledgable

Give people a chance and don't buy it if its not a good deal, bottom line, then you have nothing to complain about!!!!

jessedidthis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessedidthis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 4:44pm
yeah, you big hater!

If you must complain about a store, do so with your friends and not on a message board. If you hate a place with a passion, then simply let it dwindle from your memory.
Jesse Stewart
sumostorm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sumostorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 4:57pm

I noticed there was a younger group working there when I was in on Saturday, but they were all very helpful.  I agree they may not be 100% the most knowledgeable (didn't know the species of the anthias I bought), but they were helpful and waited for me patiently while chose a few different frags and a fish.

I think I was asked at least four or five times if I needed anything, which was nice.  And they did it in a way that wasn't annoying. 

My LFS is AD, and they are really cool to me, but I probably go in three times a week so they know me now.  They don't have the selection of TA though so it is fun to go down there every once in a while and see what other stores have.  I think they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

firefighter6681 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefighter6681 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 5:00pm
Jesse if you dislike what someone has to say about a store let them have there opinion and take your own words to mind. Simply let it dwindle from your memory
65 Gallon and just getting started again after over year break.
rebekwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebekwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 5:44pm
LMAO!!!!!!    Man, I love this site.
92 corner w/ 30 gal sump
Mantis tank coming soon

"Ain't nobody got Time for that"
ajkochev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajkochev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 6:38pm
Forgive the vagueness but I need to keep the identity as discreet as possible.  I happen to know an aquarium employee very well.  I've had long conversations with them while off hours and I think the person is very knowlegable.  The person doesn't generally work the floor anymore though.  I personally like the small frag tanks.  Coral frags from $5 to $20.  I've bought a few things that way.  I also shop  fish 4 u and yes, petco for livestock but the small frag tanks keep me going back to The Aquarium.  I think it depends on the curcomstance and timing if you have a bad experience.  Try again another day and see how it goes.

That said,  I went to another store last week(I'll keep it nameless) and was mad at the waste of time I spent driving to it and probably won't be back for awhile.  The prices I thought were way marked up over several other pet stores in the valley.  They made The Aquarium look down right cheap!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 9:02pm
i think we have a contraversial subject on our hands guysLOL. i think that some people would rather pay way over "top dollar" for stuff that other people would like to save a few bucks and make our money stretch. dont you think they get their stuff from the same places ALL our other LFS's get it from? so basically what has been said is people would rather pay an extra 20 or 30 bucks to get livestock that the employees have no clue what exact species it is. LMAO i think its quite funny that i can get the same "quality" maxima clam for half the price and half the distance from me. i mean come on how do people(outside the car dealerships) mark their products so far up and expect us to pay for it? "quality" i dont think so not when you get bumped to the end of the line no matter how long you've been there. i was at aquatica the other day and a guy walked in there and demanded the same "primadonna" attention i assume he gets at the the aquarium and then argued with the guys about how their prices are non-negotiable like a flippin car dealer. get rel dude your not buying a car. anyways i know everyone has their own opinion about our LFS's but if your gonna charge $88 for a 2" maxima then take your profits and invest it back into customer service and more employees that know their fish or have the common sense to ask someone else what it is. i wonder if the employees there are comissioned salesman or not? lol i love antagonising

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 9:06pm
ajkochev--- could that really be possible outside of their $5-20 frag sections? the only price ive seen that is normal is for snails and crabs $1.99. last time i was in there i saw a naso same size as mine and same health for around $80 more. ya im there dude. not all of us are well off enough to throw money away. i do not mean to offend anybody here
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 10:09pm
So how do you really feel about Urban Aquatics?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 10:42pm
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

I am a little disappointed that there is even a post slamming any of the local stores at all.  I hope it stops.

Camille

Edited by mermaidcamille - April 03 2008 at 10:43pm
135g...D.E.A.D

Welcome bright and shiny 120!
Danner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 10:52pm
lmao Dion, pullin in the urban aquatics card huh. anyway i think people are gettin a little over excited here. it was just an oppinion and prob right after it happened and was upset about it, nothing to get all mad about. but as for my oppinion i think that aquarium is a very nice store, with that bein said their overhead is HUGE. i doint even want to konw what brad pays in electricity with that huge pond outside and all. love the frag tank also. yes the prices are higher, but some times they just have something you cant go without.

Ryan
Danner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 10:57pm
oh and can we get this outta buy sell trade please. i dont think anyone is tryin to do any of those here, thanks :P

Ryan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic