Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the sucking aquarium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
shaddowwalk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaddowwalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the sucking aquarium
    Posted: April 02 2008 at 11:31pm
The aquarium sucks! "Oh, we're 'high end'" uh huh, LOL all that means is they find the most expensive crap, (that doesn't work any better) and charge top dollar!! They dont quarenteen their fish, and some of their employees are kids that don't know what their talking about. We are all better off going with Bird World and eachother!
RockStarFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 11:36pm
I take it you had a good visit to th aquarium

P.S. wrong forum

Bigayal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigayal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 11:37pm
well, true on everything, but occasionally they have stuff that isn't available anywhere else.  Competition usually breeds better quality or better prices.....What would be really sweet would be to have a UtahReefs store, that sells everything AT COST!!!! So people can get into the hobby at good prices. Im sure there are enough people in the presidency with connections to make something like this happen
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 11:45pm
  I personally think every LFS we have has something great to offer.  We never shop at just one.  We go to Fish 4 U for one thing, Bird World for another, The aquarium for something else etc.....  The WMAS is not here to put our LFS's out of business. Of coarse it would be great to buy EVERYTHING in life at wholesale but that is not how life is.  It would not be cost or time effective to have a UtahReefs store.  Without our LFS's many of us wouldn't have our tanks. 

Just%20My%20Opinion

DebBig%20smile

Edited by frednwilma1999 - April 02 2008 at 11:46pm
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 11:57pm
Shadow:

My experiences with the folks over at The Aquarium have all been positive ones

I don't know of any LFS that truly "QTs" their livestock the way a home hobbyist would - as a former LFS employee I can tell you it isn't practical on a large scale... BTW, I was a "kid" at the time and was more knowledgable on the subject than most of the adults who came in the store Wink 

I do agree they are not the least expensive option for local hobbysists

I am sorry you had an unpleasant experience with them. Have you approached the ownership to try to straighten the issue out?

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 12:28am
i like going there. They seem to always have evereything in stock and somehting to look at. That doesn't mean that most hobbyists can afford the livestock they have to offer, but they do have a cheap frag tank which I frequent and everyonce in a while I find something. Like an exquisite wrasse for 30.00, and a mated pair of pink skunks for 30.00 ;) Its about being a bargain shopper. Plus they carry like every replacement part ever!
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 7:43am
I happen to like The Aquarium and have had good experiences from many of their employees over the years. I will continue to shop there and continue to research my purchases beforehand too.

Mike

freetibet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freetibet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 8:08am
i went there last week and i was in the store for about 15 mins and noone was there at all.  no employee nothin, i was about to leave after 15 mins of but as soon as  i was about to walk out someone comes out from the back after 15 mins of looking for help.. still bought 4 fishes but thats my last time going there..
40 breeder, TEK T5 6x39 7 months

Quote by Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama
"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."

Salt lake city,Ut
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 8:30am
Sometimes they're busy, but other times help abounds.

I actually have picked up several good frags there.  For a store that's "expensive," they have a great selection of $10 to $20 frags.  I'll continue to shop there, as well as many other stores in the Salt Lake valley.

I'm just waiting for someone to set up shop in Cache Valley.  Tongue
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 8:34am
I understand the "high end" Issue all to well. I think you have a solid argument on the triple the price thing. Understand over head, Under stand the High End. My 2 cents.
    Welcome to the board SHADOW   Bout time.
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
jessedidthis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessedidthis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 9:42am
There are good and bad things about every local fish store. Marine Aquatics has been closed when I have gone there but usually have good prices. Fish-4-U needs a remodel but they give great advice and don't let you buy things unless your tank is ready. Aquatica is waaaay far away but has great help, prices, and selection.

As far as the aquarium goes.

I have received some good help from some of the employees at the Aquarium.
I've also purchased many frags at great prices.
I've been able to purchase chemicals, test kits, and parts on sunday evening.
The store is always clean, doesn't stink, and they have some great display tanks.
The management at the Aquarium has always been cool to me.

I've also received zero help when the store was empty.
Fresh water section is limited at best.
I also got a parasite from an $8 socofoli cichlid from the Aquarium.

Anyone can buy almost anything wholesale, you just have to buy enough of them. There is a store in draper called Tropical Fish Wholesale. They don't have any salt water live stock yet, but I know they are planning on getting it. Maybe check it out.

Edited by jessedidthis - April 03 2008 at 2:47pm
Jesse Stewart
larhalli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larhalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 10:09am
I agree in part with many of the above posts.  I love the Aquarium.  They have a very nice store, great display tanks.  They once in a while have the best prices on large tanks as well.  I have had a hard time on many occasions trying to find someone to help me as many have mentioned.  They have lost many sales from this I am sure.  I never had a problem in their old store with getting help.  If I were the owner I think I would worry about product walking out of the store while no one was on watch.  That too could be a reason for high prices on stuff they do sell.
Larry Halliday

West Jordan
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 10:12am
I like "The Aquarium".
I know their prices are higher but I always enjoy browsing their clean store and cheerful employees.
I agree that some of the younger ones are not very knowledgable but the fab 4 are very helpful.
Every once in awhile they have good deals on stuff.
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

rebekwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebekwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 10:19am
[QUOTE=unixnum1]I like "The Aquarium".
I know their prices are higher but I always enjoy browsing their clean store and cheerful employees.
I agree that some of the younger ones are not very knowledgable but the fab 4 are very helpful.
Every once in awhile they have good deals on stuff.
[/QUOTE 

I agree totally. 
92 corner w/ 30 gal sump
Mantis tank coming soon

"Ain't nobody got Time for that"
firefighter6681 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefighter6681 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 10:34am
I have not been there yet and might go take a look now. There is not to many stores up north. I think your going to find kids though in most stores unless they are a smaller stores. Over head is hard because we all check the pricing of items on the net and they don't have the over head a LFS does.

Welcome to WMAS

Edited by firefighter6681 - April 03 2008 at 10:35am
65 Gallon and just getting started again after over year break.
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 11:00am
I like going to the aquarium.  There are things I don't like about them, but that goes with everything.  My opinion is do your research!  Know what you are looking at.  Only then can you say if it is or isn't worth the price.  I've seen a lot of things that were double what I'd seen them for elsewhere and I've seen things that were half what I'd seen elsewhere.  I too LOVE the frag tanks.  There aren't any other LFS that have such a great bargain selection. 
Finally, if they have something that you really like and you're willing to pay what they ask, who cares if you could have picked up something similar for less money.  If you are happy with the purchase that's all that matters to me.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
acromacromonti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acromacromonti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 11:01am
Dont do trade IN's!!!! thats all my advice that I can give about the aquarium, And dont talk to the Baby children they have working there they are the most un intelligent youngsters that dont know a wrasse from a chromis, Better luck just taking a fish book when your shopping for fish or a coral book when shopping for coral.

Cheech
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 11:13am
Go easy on the kids, sheesh.  Would you rather have teams of highly trained and educated professionals work there?

Wouldn't they require higher pay?  Aren't their 'high' prices already complained about?
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
fishman90G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishman90G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 11:36am
good golly miss molly. touchy touchy subject we have here lol. i am particular to "aquatica". i have been to the aquarium and bought an $1100 light fixture lol i also went there and bought nmerous frags in the 10-20 section. so far everything is doing excellent but i take no chances wih livestock i always drip my stuff from snails to corals to fish. that is what shawn has taught me without him actually teaching me. ive been in there numerous times after he recieved a shipment and watched him drag out 40-50 buckets for dripping. i am faithful to aquatica like im faithfull to my wife. it is more than prices which his are the among the best and it is more than the quality of his fish and corals, it is the friendliness you get from him. can anyone honestly tell me theyve ever seen the owner of "the aquarium" out and about greeting and helping potential clients? if so, how often? anyways presidency is right, a utahreefs LFS is not a prctical idea in my eyes. unless they put that LFS on the internet only or put 4 wheels under it. the club is too big and people like me wouldnt drive to timbucktoo every week. i also agree with them about the topic, you cant with a good heart come on to utah reefs and try to put them out of business. if you dont like "the aquarium" dont shop there simple as that. thats what i do. i am planning on buying some stuff like one of those rotating wavemaker things for 180 but as far as livestock goes if i shop for corals there again ill just stick with the 10-20 frags section.
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 11:41am
I am going easy on them, we all have to start somewhere, unfortunately they do seem to have a high turn over rate which I guess is true of all younger job positions.

Originally posted by <span id=userPro224668 =showDropDown'userPro224668', 'proMenu224668', 160, 0; =msgSidePro title=View Drop Down>acromacromonti </span> acromacromonti wrote:

Dont do trade IN's!!!

Why don't you do trade ins with them?
I haven't done trade ins with them for quite awhile.
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic