Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overflows for a 180 glass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
adamschrage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamschrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overflows for a 180 glass
    Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:02am
I just got a used 180g tank last night that isn't drilled for overflows and was wondering if you all have some ideas on how best to do this. I was thinking about doing a coast to coast Calfo style overflow but I don't think I'm going to be able to do that myself. Is there a way I can do overflows by myself. I'm also going to be drilling for a closed loop so I'm also looking for information on how some of you have done this.
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:43am
adamschrage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamschrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:59am
Thanks Corey I've read that thread before. I'm going to read through it again and see what questions I can come up with.
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 11:47am
I had eric drill my holes for me but he drilled them for 1" drains.
I just bought a hole saw so I can put in bulkheads for 1.5" drains.
I am worried if I will get the flow I will want.
I don't like throttling my pump back to decrease the flow.
I also should have had him drill two more holes for a close loop but for some reason I didn't think abot it.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but how far apart should holes be in the glass so you don't weaken it?
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 1:44pm
IMHO, Kevin, I wouldn't drill more than six.  Lee-Mar told us that six holes in the back glass was all that they were comfortable with.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 1:50pm
Corey- have you seen the new Lee-Mar tanks where they laser engrave the front piece of glass?  If you ask me I'd rather drill 12 holes in the back in terms of strength.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Marine-Aquatics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2008 at 10:16am
Unimax Remember it doesnt matter how big the drain holes are if the overflow slotting cant keep up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic