Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.5 Gallon sump/fuge && Tigerpod question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
andrewprime1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewprime1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.5 Gallon sump/fuge && Tigerpod question
    Posted: April 28 2008 at 10:15pm
So I built a little 2.5 gallon fuge for my ten gallon tank. It is ridicules I know, but its almost kind of cute really. I drilled a little platform into my stand for it and it came out uber strong. I raised it up of the stand with some stands and a little bit of wood for support.

I have it hooked up so the the water comes in via j siphon, and leaves through a jerry rigged PVC system pumped by a via aqua 360.

ok, so I am ready fore comments and suggestions, I am fairly new to Salt water (my tank is almost 5 months) and so any tips are appreciated.  I run a filter sock every  once and a while, especially the day I do a water change.
My other question is this, would it be good for my tank to add tigerpods to the fuge section, and also would they stay and there and sex it up, or is the flow too strong?
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 10:24pm
Have you done a test to make sure you don't get a flood if the return pump shuts off, or the overflow clogs?
Pleasant Grove

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewprime1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 10:48pm
Yeah, the two tanks are even so I have tried turning off my pump as a test. As soon as the two levels equalize the J siphon stops, but stays primed. I just need to stay opn top of my water changes. I am looking to make an auto top off soon, I just want one that is gravity fed. Sorry, the pics are kinda bad, but my cell phone is all I have while my dad has his camera with him in Florida.

So tigerpods, yes or no?
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 10:52pm
Pods should be able to live just fine in there.  If you put some chaeto or a rubble pile they'd grow like crazy. 
Pleasant Grove
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 11:10pm
I don't think it is ridiculous at all. I think it is a great idea. I have a HOB filter on the back of mine that I use for water circulation, chaeto, and my heater. It works great but it only holds 1 gallon.

Mike

MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 11:51pm
It's a great idea. 25% of the display volume is not bad at all.
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2008 at 9:09am

Nice set up, Good luck with your system!!!

WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
MrNewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 11:15am
I think the question jonafriendj asked was a valid one that was not quite answered.  You said you tested it by turing off your pump, you also need to look at the possibility of a plugged siphon J tube or a lost siphon.  You will pump the contents out of the 2.5 gallon and overflow the 10.  I would suggest an aqualift pump in the J tube to insure no lost siphon and a really good strainer on the tank end.  You do not want a snail taking up residence in it and coming home to find a 2.5 gallon salt water puddle.
Just a couple of glass boxes full of slimey things

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewprime1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 9:47pm
good point, I added fish net to the display side of the j siphon, also for fun I tried stopping the siphon, then leaving the return on, the water in that section isn't enough to actually flood the tank. So I am good.    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic