Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - algea and bryopsis with water changes updated 9/4
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

algea and bryopsis with water changes updated 9/4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: algea and bryopsis with water changes updated 9/4
    Posted: May 04 2008 at 6:02pm
I know I know, another question that I should know and I probably do but I had to ask.  Well algea and bryopsis go away or at least subside a bit if I do even more water changes?  I have had this problem with bryopsis for a while so I didnt do a water change for quite some time to see if that would help.  I maybe did one a month, but I normaly do a water change about every two weeks. 
I was wondering if I do water changes like 10 gallons out of my 75 gallon system if this will starve the algea out.  I have tried everything else.  Please say this will help.  Dustin

Edited by dustponds10 - September 04 2008 at 10:43pm
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 6:26pm
Water changes have had no affect on our bryopsis.  The only thing that we have found that helps is tuxedo urchins.  We have 2 that do eat it but not entirely.  If you find something that helps PLEASE let us know.

Thanks,
DebBig%20smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 6:31pm

i got rid of my bryopsis before it started. I puttied over it. thats about all i know.. i also have a sailfin that likes it!!!!

no she is not for sale or borrow :)

I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by dustponds10 dustponds10 wrote:

Please say this will help.  Dustin

Now thats pressure. I don't think it would make that big of a difference. Are you using macro in your sump. Phoseban in the system. skimming? (I Apologize if you have covered this in other posts and I missed it)

My opinion would be........yell and run around the room for a hour..............actually I run a massive amount of phosban and charcoal in the tanks that I feed a lot. I also run a big skimmer in order to remove as much nutrients as possible.

Tons of water changes will remove the nutrients as well but in large enough amounts it will stress out your system. All of the bacteria removed (live water) may throw the system out out of balance.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 7:59pm
Mark Peterson had a great thread on algae control.

Algae needs a couple things to survive, and if we can limit one of these, we can effectively control it. We can also control it with ravenous herbivores. Control through nutrient limitation can be through phosphate removers, heavy protein skimming, and competition algae such as chaetomorpha. Hand removal is something you could consider, but good luck. I wasn't able to control it by hand removal.

I have heard Anthony Calfo tell people to increase their PH to above 8.4, which he claims tends to really affect bryopsis.

Personally, I let the bryopsis go in my old tank, and added a rabbitfish- the rabbitfish was happy to eat it vigorously, but he also ate my zoanthids and mushrooms, among other things. I had a long-spine urchin that was moderately effective at control as well.
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 9:18am
I think mark advocates water changes only add nutrients to your tank and the algae grows better. I.M.O. raising the mag. has had a slowing effect on my briopsis, but hasn't "wiped it out" . As my wife mentioned the tuxedo Urchin munches it but does not concentrate solely on it. 
  Raising the P.H. is a new idea but will prob. will have adverse reactions to the corals if not done correctly.
  This has been a test placed before me, And I will continue to combat the stuff until I get the upper hand on it.
   And then i will tear the 90 down and re do itLOL
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 10:25am
Well I guess I was getting my hopes up on something I already knew the answer to.  BUMMER, Well to answer some of your questions, I run an ASM G-1 skimmer, I have a huge ball of cheato that I trim back and I also just added some other macro just the other day, I got a hold of some lettuce nudibranches and well they eat it but I am affraid that there would need to be about 100 of them to do any damage.  I have tried a sailfin tang, didnt touch it, then I tried a powder blue(he ate really well for a few weeks and then wouldnt eat anything, I tried soaking things in garlic and to no avail) He didnt eat it, I have red mexican hermits that are suppose to help, not that much any ways.  I do pick out a hand full of the dang stuff about every 2 days or so.  I have had this problem for around5 months and I really wish I could find the cure, I think I would help a ton of reefers and it would be a catistrophic event for the hobby.
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 1:18pm
I've hears as jeff mentioned raising the MAG is supposed to help a ton with bryopsis, reduce nutrients, manually remove as much as possible
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 6:17pm
Bryopsis is one of the most successful nusiance algae. Few fish will touch it and most snails, the best form of algae control, don't eat it.
But I believe we can help. It will take time and require you to answers a lot of questions and then follow our instructions to the letter. Are you up to the challange? If so, the first thing we need is a full view pic of the tank and a close-up pic of the algae. Okay?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 6:24pm
sure I will take some pics right now.  Thanks Ill have them up here in a few mins. 
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 7:02pm
here you are Mark so you tell me.  Some might think this is hair alge and my camera isnt the best of cameras so I cant get a really good close up of it, but if you look close you will be able to see the structures in a few of the pics, I am pretty sure it is bryopsis.
aquariumpics023.jpg%20picture%20by%20dustponds10
bryopsis with a very mad frag I got a while ago and a luttuce nudi
aquariumpics026.jpg%20picture%20by%20dustponds10
orange/red cap that is actually pleading its case with the dang stuff
aquariumpics019-1.jpg%20picture%20by%20dustponds10
full tank shot you can see that the bryopsis is mostly growing in the lower part of the tank if you look close enough.  and there is alot of it.  So Mark, now what?
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 7:05pm
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 9:06pm

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 11:25pm
Dion thanks how did you do that?  Still anxiously waiting on Mark to chime in.  ^^^
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by dustponds10 dustponds10 wrote:

Dion thanks how did you do that?  Still anxiously waiting on Mark to chime in.  ^^^

when you are in photobucket you can click on IMG CODE and copy that code then paste it where you want to post or for multiple photos check several and down at the bottom click generate IMG and HTML CODE then copy and paste the one that says
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 12:02am
I am following this thread as well Dustin.  I am still having problems with bryopsis in my tank.  My Lettuce Nudis look different than yours and haven't done much.  I may try the higher ph thing as I am starting to dose kalk with a kalk reactor.  What is the best way to dose Mg and what are the side effects of that.  This pest is a nasty one.  I have an aiptasia outbreak as well.  I am going to get some berghia to take care of them.  I am in the process of upgrading my skimmer.  I have chaeto, just added mangroves and run chemipure and purigen.  I have tried the berghias, a lawnmower blenny, a dozen different hermits and snails along with emeralds.  Your bryopsis appears different than mine.  Mine looks a lot like a small fern.  I just pruned it back but may be able to find one to take a picture of or an old pic.
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 1:48am
Those are not lettuce leafs, The thread on reef central is quite long, but the  Idea is to use kent tec-m. Or use the home made recipie of dow flake . I'll wait for mark to chime inWink

EmbarrassedEdit=  I have ,without a doubt, Saw this at one of the local fish stores. Please look closely at the live stock you purchace! And remeber, Stores get it from Whole sellers and where do they get it???Wink

Edited by Jeff Morrill - May 06 2008 at 1:54am
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 1:27pm
Sorry, I forgot to bring my laptop to work. I can't see the pics on my work computer. Tomorrow....
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 5:26pm
It looks like my lettuce nudibranch.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 6:22pm
I know that there are a few different kinds, they come from different oceans.  One I believe has pink in it and is more pretty then the one I got, and the one I have came from a different place.  I bought these straight from a whole saler with the help of an aquarium maintanence guy here that I found. 

Dave in the last picture you can see the dang stuff that looks a little more like a fern but longer.  Alot of it is my dang camera I cannot get really good pics. 
I also have raised my mag using the two part solution from twopartsolution.com  It didnt seem to work at the time but it may have slowed things down a bit.  My next step will be to try the Kent tech-m.  You can buy it at marinedepot.com for around 20 bucks 30 shipped.
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic