Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - algea and bryopsis with water changes updated 9/4
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

algea and bryopsis with water changes updated 9/4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 12:08am
My bryopsis still looks different.  I'm sure it will grow out shortly so I can get a picture. Angry

Edited by jpndave - May 07 2008 at 12:10am
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 12:21am
looks like definite bryopsis to me. Also looks like there might be some hair algae in there. it appears to be only on a few rocks. stop it before it gets bad. just take the whole rock out.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 2:00am
yeah there is a bit of hair algea, I thinkthat the hair algea has kinda taking a bunch of the nutrients from the bryopsis there for it has kind of stopped growing as fast.  I sure wondering what I should do??????? Hint hint hintWink
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 9:47am
Hair algae has never been a problem for me.  I put a piece in my tank that had some on it and my critters destroyed it in about an hour.  It is the bryopsis that is driving me mad!Angry
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 9:48am

http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=elyscris

Test.

O.k.That worked, This is what I see when I look at my lettuce leaf.

Edited by Jeff Morrill - May 07 2008 at 9:50am
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:21am
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 5:41pm
Okay, I finally had to ask my boss if we could change the rules and allow these pics to come through. Adam might say that you have no problem. Algae is beautiful and delicious. He ate Caulerpa on TV to promote the Reef Tour!Shocked

I'm assuming that you use good quality RO water. Test the TDS to be sure and let us know.
Assuming that your feeding routine is not overfeeding the tank, you still might cut it back. Tell us more about the feeding.
Now the lighting. What is it, what color, how new are the bulbs and what's the photoperiod?
Do you add any chemicals? Kalk, soda, Ca, other trace elements? What brands and how much?
Do you use AC? Phosphate remover?
Purigen or any other ionized water scrubber?
What is the population of fish and inverts?
How many snails and hermits?
I know this is a lot of questions and will take you a while to compile the answers. It will be worth the time.Smile

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by jpndave jpndave wrote:

I am following this thread as well Dustin. 
 ...an aiptasia outbreak as well.  I am going to get some berghia to take care of them.   
Your bryopsis appears different than mine.  Mine looks a lot like a small fern.

Let's see a pic here in this thread as soon as you can get it.
Feel free to answer the same questions here regarding your tank.
The same variety of Bryopsis can grow/look differently in different tanks because of different light, water, etc.
I don't recommend either of those water scrubbing products that you use because they can sometimes cause unexpected problems.
I have a question for you. Why do you want to get Berghia for the Aiptasia? I have seen that they are less likely to do the complete job than a good gang of Peppermint Shrimp. Have you tried Peppermint Shrimp?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 12:39am
Ok Mark thanks for getting back with me, I dont have a TDS meter but I just replaced the filters about 5 months ago.  So they should be good I would think.  But if I can find a TDS meter around then I will let you know.
THe feeding is slim.  I feed about every 3rd day, I have in my tank two chromis, six line wrasse, some type of goby, neon goby, and a lawnmowerblenny that is extremely picky at what he eats. 
I am doseing soda, Ca, and mag and Iodine(every month once a month)
I just got new lights in January and they are T-5's with individual reflectors.  So I wouldnt think that that would be the case.  I do have carbon running and change it once a month as well as phosphate sponge.  I hope this answers all the questions, other then the TDS question.  What do you think?
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 5:22pm
 Thinking 

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 7:59pm
Very good. Looks like you are doing everything as right as possible. 
What's the photoperiodQuestion No matter what it is, cut it in half. Use Actinics only for no more than 7 hours/day and cut all other color bulbs down to about 4 hours. If the bilbs are not separated like this, try to find a way to do it by swapping or removing tubes. What do you think of putting the tank in total darkness for a day or twoQuestion
The check of your RO water is important. Membranes can fail and let tapwater through. What's the TDSQuestion
I've had Rabbitfish that ate every macro in sight, including Bryopsis. I'm not saying this is the answer, but if I remember correctly, you indicated that you have had a Sailfin and a Powder Blue Tang, neither one survived. I'd try a Rabbitfish. If you find a Naso/Unicorn type of tang at a good price you could try that too. (It's less expensive to try them one at a time.)
I'd also look at a couple large Pacific Turbo Snails and see what damage they might do to the Bryopsis.
Can you post a pic of the Refugium. What is the lighting there and how new are the bulbsQuestion

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 08 2008 at 8:07pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 4:51pm
Mark I am trying to get a TDS meter, I am shopping around and seeing where I can find on for a good price.  a battery powered one. 
Right now the photoperiod is 12 hours actinics and 6 hours daylights.  I am going to shut them down to the reccomended 7 hours with actinics on for 7 hours and daylights on for 4. 
My question is what with the short photoperiod/total darkness do to my sps?  my display is mainly sps and quite a few high end sps.  So what would this do to them?  I am not against the total darkness at all just wondering if it will hurt my sps. 
My fuge is a 30 gallon that is 3/4 full and in the middle I have 3 different kinds of macro.  I have a huge ball of cheato that I prune back about every 2 months or so, and two other kinds that I dont know the names of.  I just added a bunch of one kind to see if that will help with anything. 
photoperiod of the fuge is a 90 watt florecent bulb and it is on 24/7.  Picture of the fuge to come shortly
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 5:10pm
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 11:43pm
up to top sorry just looking for some advice
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 12:35am
Originally posted by dustponds10 dustponds10 wrote:

Here are the pics of my fuge and the macro that I have.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 11:50am
Are there any other hobbyists near you, or can you take an RO water sample to the nearest water storeQuestion

That lighting is good on the Refugium, but for the purpose of correcting this problem, how about adding another lightQuestion
The algae in the fuge needs to be harvested more often. I usually place a small rock or two on the algae to make it sink to the sand. Then when it's growth brings it back to the surface, I cut 1/3 to 1/2 of it out and sink it again. With more light it will grow faster and you can probably harvest it every two weeks. This should remove nutrients from the system faster than the Bryopsis can use it.

A day or two of darkness is like a storm in the ocean. It will cause no problem for the SPS. Because this may take some serious darkness, can you move the coral out to another tank during this Bryopsis issue.Question

Have you had any luck locating a RabbitfishQuestion
I can't remember if you ever tried a Lawnmower BlennyQuestion
Have you looked into buying a couple large Pacific Turbo SnailsQuestion

We can all learn a lesson from Dustin's experience.
Rule of thumb Thumbs%20Up Take action early, even before the algae becomes a small patch.

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 10 2008 at 11:52am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 1:55pm

I might be able to find a water store and see what they have to say about my water. 

I wish I could find a rabbitfish around here.  We only hve petco and well they dont get them in ever, or at least as long as I have been looking.

I do have a lawnmower Blenny but the dang thing is so picky that it wont eat hardly anything but the sheets of algea that I put in the tank.  I have tried to not feed those but when I dont he gets super skinny and well I give in.

I have some big turbos, but I think that pet co might have some in right now so I will take a look tonight.

Some of the corals I could put into my 29 gallon that is lit by VHO"s It isnt in the best of conditions.  Quite a few are connected to the rocks with the bryposis on them.  I think I could throw a blanket over it for a day or two.  I think I will leave it the way it is with reduced lighting that you recommended for a few days then throw a blanket over the whole thing and see what happens. 

In the sump I can do as recommended.  Ill sink it right now and I will add an extra light. 
Is it ok to have the lights on 24/7?  I have heard mixed results and so I have just done it this way.
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 4:19pm

Yes you can run the refugium lights 24/7

Mike

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 4:46pm
24/7 lighting is important in that we are trying to outcompete the Bryopsis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 5:07pm
Sweet thanks Mike and Mark.  I am not going to be able to go and get the turbo snails until monday if they still have the big ones.  My mag is high right now I just did a mag test and it said that it is around 1800 So it is way high.  I should lower it but I really dont want to do another water change because I just did one, and bryopsis is supposed to not do so well with high mag so I guess I will leave it.  I sank my macro.  Anything else that I should do?
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic