Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - algea and bryopsis with water changes updated 9/4
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

algea and bryopsis with water changes updated 9/4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 10:51pm
It has to be the right mix. Tec-m (kent ) Or the home made recipie. Magneseum sulfate,has the best results in stopping the growth. You will have to mannually remove the algea, OUT OF THE TANK. My 2 cents
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 2:51am
Jeff as of right now I am using the two part solution.  It has mixed together mag sulfate and mag chloride.  I think are the two that you have to mix, I am not home or I would check.  I pick out about a handful a day and it just keeps getting worse.  But I am hopefull still.  I just cut my photoperiod to about half and we will see how that works then in a week or 10 days total darkness for a day or two.  Kind of scary but I hope that it will work and reduce the algea in my tank enough so that the critters can keep up with it.  We will see. I appericate your advice and I am trying to take everyones advice and use it all.  It would be awsome if we all could figure it out and write an article on it for anyone else that is having the bryopsis problem.  
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 12:18pm
Mine has actually stopped growing. Mag up to. Using the tec-m , Added tuxedo urchin x 2 , added a bristle tooth tang. He picks at it all day long. So here is a little history

I took the effected rocks one by one (had a little help from Eva)Thumbs%20Up And scrubbed the stuff manually, then rinsed in New salt water.
Placed back in the tank to wait and see..... Sure enough ........ the stuff came back
Added the urchins, and the bristletooth.
Urchins went right for it, But started to "wander around",They did not act like a robot and get rid of it quickLOL 
Checked the Mag level And it was low , Around 1200-1400. Started dosing Mag. 10ml. per day for 4 days. (little more, little less)
I'll post prams. in a jiffy
I'm looking at it now  and can see the stems, But it isn't the lush garden it once was.
Sorry for the long winded post, Hope you make it through yours with all your brains still intact.LOL
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 5:09pm

So it looks like high Mg is not the solution. If you already have some large Pacific Turbo snails I would not place my hopes on them. As Jeff said, it's a long process of waiting for it to go away. As you do the things we have discussed the algae grows less and some starts to die, especially when placed in darkness several days at a time regularly for several weeks. Some of the herbivores start to like the taste of it as it dies off.

One 250 gal tank I know of had a bigger problem than you. They took these steps we have given and eventually the fish and other herbivores ate till it was gone. I believe they had Tangs, a Lawnmower Blenny, and possibly some urchins. I don't remember if a Rabbitfish was used, that was before they became popular in the hobby, but from my own and others experience, I recommend them wholeheartedly.

I did write up this procedure. It's here: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3033

And it's linked in this very useful thread about many of the basics of setting up a reef tank:

And the Sea Star has the story of saving my coral reef: http://www.utahreefs.com/SeaStar/wmasSeaStar02Feb.pdf

And then there is this on GARF: www.garf.org/ugly.html

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 11 2008 at 5:27pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 7:23pm
Ok I am going to have to read all those links and in about a week I am going to do the complete darkness thing for a day or two to see what happens.  If all else fails at least we are all learning a few new things.  Thanks for all the help up to this point and I will for sure keep posting pics if the bryopsis gets better or worse.  If there is anymore advice or something new that someone finds I would love to hear, as of right now I am putting all of the info that I have recieved into effect and hopefully we can get awsome results.
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2008 at 8:59pm
I just ordered a TDS meter to connect to the input water and the out put water.  It will be here in 3-5 days so I will let everyone know what turns out. 
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 6:34pm
I know that for alot of you this topic is dead in the water but for me it is very much alive and I want to make sure that if any one is watching this thread then I up date it. 
I just got my TDS meter the other day,
Readings
Water going in before filtered is 353
exiting the filter it is 2 and 3 it bounces back and forth. 
So I figure that this is pretty good.  I am going to keep a log and keep making sure that the water is still good for a few weeks.  So Water isnt that bad.  I will keep everyone posted. 

Oh one more thing, since my mag has been up around 1800 I have been pulling out what I can daily and I havent noticed it growning near as fast.  In fact it just might be in check for the time being.
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 11:32pm
I'm definitely listening. 2-3 tds is very good.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 1:31am
Thanks Mike, Ill keep posting all of my findings and Ill try to post some pictures to keep updating and letting everyone know what is happening and see what everyone has to say.
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 3:07am
My TDS runs steady at 0 both before and after the DI.  Ocassionally it will come up to 1 out of the RO.  I still have problems with bryopsis.  I am going to try the Mg as soon as I can get my hands on the right stuff.  If mg sulfate is right, can I use epsom salt?

Edited by jpndave - May 19 2008 at 3:17am
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 10:13am
The quality of the water is only one of many things that can allow algae to grow. And once it gets started, a nusiance algae can try to "take over" despite some of our best efforts.
Truth is, algae grows just by getting it's nutrients from the tank. There is rock and sand that releases nutients, there is food going into the system and we light our reefs almost like the sun. Fish poop and pee are great food for algae.

But once a bad growth of algae starts, we must find ways to stunt or stop it's growth and find herbivores that will eat it up, because as you have found, manually removing it can be futile. I wouldn't place much hope in the high Mg idea. On it's own that would not be the answer, but certainly try it in concert with other efforts.
So, like my thread on the secrets of controlling algae says, find all the ways to reduce the input of nutients, add phosphate remover to rid the tank of one of the essential growth elements, reduce the photoperiod, drastically cut out the light at intervals, and ad a variety of herbivores to eat the algae.

In the end, the old saying is still true, "An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure"
The prevention is to have enough herbivores in the system and watch for small growths of offending algae and stop it before it gets out of control.

jpndave, have you or can you post pics of your tank?

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 19 2008 at 11:06am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 10:27am
Thanks again Mark for your great insights on this subject. 
Dave, I do know that by using the two part solution I use alot of epsom salt.  I would say yes.   ALthough I have asked a few people on reefcentral that have rid a few different tanks with Kent Tech M.  So if I was you I think I would go that way.  It would help the research in our club.  We would have a few different ways that have been tried and we can see what way is better.  Plus my mag is around 1800 and it has just bairly started to stun the dang stuff.  I am actually think of doing a water change and droping the mag. and getting kent tech m myself and trying it that way. 
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 11:09am
And sometimes these people were doing other things and then when one additional variable is changed and the problem is solved, they think that it was all due to that one last input.Confused

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 2:41pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 6:14pm
It's certainly easy to try and if it works like it did for him, it puts me out of a job!Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 6:38pm

That is the same article and one of the guys that I was refering to.  I have just been going crazy with this dang stuff and so I have asked in a few places.  I am taking all the info to heart and putting it to practice then I can do a big write up of everything that I did.  I appericate everything that has been mentioned and all the help that has been given.

ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 2:52pm
Well, after a week to 10 days of reduced photoperiod I have decided to throw the blankets over the tank for a couple days.  I hope that it doesnt have any negative effects.  But I will let you all know what takes place.  I have my mag up still at 1800 and I have taken note that the bryopsis has not grown near as much, so I will let you know what things look like.  The skimmer has been pulling more and more stuff out of the tank and I think that it is pulling dead algea out I hope. 

I will keep my eye on the skimmer and on the bryopsis.  It is killing me to have the blanket over the tank right now.  I just want to look at the tank but the lights are out, and the blanket is over the tank. 
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 5:17pm
It is a good sign that the skimmer is producing more. Good luck with the blanket.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 11:03pm
Well, just to up date it is still driving me crazy having my tank covered up.  It really stinks. 
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 5:59pm
Tough loveWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic