Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - algea and bryopsis with water changes updated 9/4
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

algea and bryopsis with water changes updated 9/4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 10:42pm
Yeah for real, I had to have a peak under the blanket for about 10 mins, My wife was wondering what the heck I was doing.  I mean here is this guy with his head under a blanket looking at his fish tank like a kid searching out his christmas presents.  Yeah a site to see. 
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 9:52am
Could you tell any difference yet?

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 10:35am
my lights havent come on yet, but my skimmer has picked up a bunch of stuff.  About the same amount that it had been picking up.  I am anxious to see if it affected them at all.
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 4:45pm
Well after a long and frustrating battle, I was about to call it quits and give in to the fact that I was just going to have to put up with the bryopsis in my tank.  I mean I tried switching salts to see if one promoted growth more then another, I tried to keep my mag up past 1600 for a month(using twopart solution) and that didnt help, but It didnt grow as fast it kept it in check.  So I was about to just give in, but recently I think I might have something going to get rid of the dang stuff.  Cross my fingers, and hope that I just didnt jinks myself.   But what I have done is this, I changed salts again.  I am now using corallife and after the first few water changes not much happened other then corals started to look more colorful and not so brown. 
Then recently I got a hold of some Kent Tech M, and I have been adding about 3 cap fulls for a few days.  I have to check my mag levels today to see where the are.  But I huge change has taken place.  The bryopsis has gone from being super thick and almost mat like to a more stringy and tallers weed.  It isnt as thick and well in certain places it has even thinned out enough to see the rock that was completly covered.  I will for sure post some pictures tonight and keep everyone updated.  If indeed this does work I will write up an article with all the info that I have used and send it to who ever would like a copy.  Stay tuned.
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 5:08pm
Please do keep us posted.  We are on day three of the blankets over the tank thing.  I took them off for 4 hours today and turned the lights on and then shut the lights back off and covered the tank.  We are following instructions from Mark Peterson.  We have 2 more days of the covered tank then on to the next step.

DebBig%20smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 7:39pm
so did covering the tank help at all
out with the large and in with the nano
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 10:51pm
Cant say for shure, But the stuff is turning a lighter shade of green.
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 10:46pm
So, I just wanted to let everyone know that I ahve really done it.  I think I have gotten rid of my bryopsis.  I know I need to get you all some up dated pics and post every move that I made but I dont have time right now.  I will for sure post in the next day or two.  It is awsome and I am way excited.  updates coming soon
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 12:57am
Good news
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 10:47pm
I thought that I would post some pics of my tank with the bryopsis gone.  It is 95% gone.  So tank looks alot better.  Have a look

and some new pick ups let me know what you think???
acans
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 10:55pm
Looks good,, was it the Tech M that worked for you?
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 11:02pm
Looks good!  What finally worked for you?  Thanks for keeping us posted.

DebBig%20smile
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 11:50pm
Looks good.
To ensure that it stays away, it looks to me like a load of snails is needed. Some of the rocks have algae on them that I think some snails would love. I don't see enough snails on the glass, which means there aren't enough on the rocks.
I love snails. They keep algae under control.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2008 at 9:17am
I'm curious about what worked as well. I also found this while researching this topic.
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2008 at 9:29am
It's looking good!

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2008 at 9:30am
I think we need to have come club t-shirts made that state "I Beat Bryopsis!"

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 3:35am
Great idea Mike.  I for sure would support that and buy one.  As for what ended up working for me.  It was Kent Tech M.  I raised my bryopsis up to around 1600 and maintained it there for a week or two and that is when the die off of the bryopsis happened.  I tried numerous things and it was so frustrating.  So I did what I should have done from the start and well it worked.  The main problem is we dont have a LFS that carries Kent Tech M.  which is a mag. suppliment for those that dont know.  So it was hard to get a hold of. 
As for more snails, those are in the works right now.  What kind would you recommend?  I dont have that many right now but I almost want to over populate my tank with snails.  Just let me know what you recommend.  I have mostly nerites right now but there are only about 50 or so of them and about 20 nassrius snails right now with around 70 hermit crabs.  I am all ears for suggestions.  Thanks for the advice and the kind comments
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 8:46am
How do you raise your "bryopsis" to 1600?!

I tried raising the Magnesium too but it didn't work for me.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 4:48pm
I meant I tried to raise the mag to 1600 and only with Kent tech M it worked.  Itried the two part solution mag and that didnt work.  The only thing that I can think is that they have something else in the Kent tech M that when you raise your mag up it also raises something else in you water and that kicks the bryopsis. 
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2008 at 3:41pm
I agree it's not just the Mg but something else in Kent Tech M. Your success is great to know. The method is a lot easier too. That will definitely be our first option for future Bryopsis problems.Thumbs%20Up

As for snails, I've found the best success with a combination of about 40% Astrea, 30% Margarita and 30% Cerith. Cerith also clean the sand so you get all areas covered with that 40-30-30 combo. As far as how many for your tank, I'd add almost 2 snails per gallon or as close to that as you feel comfortable. To keep my own tanks free of nusiance algae, I add a good number of snails once or twice a year. The numbers need to stay up or an algae problem is what you get.

Algae is a constant battle. New hobbyists are rarely told anything about algae control and you know the result. Cry

The word needs to be spread about the importance of snails and the herbivore vs carnivore  balance. See the SeaStar articles regarding this in the Feb 2002 issue.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic