Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seahorses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seahorses
    Posted: March 01 2003 at 10:41pm
Hi everyone.  I have been looking into seahorses lately and from what I have seen they are very difficult to take care of.  Has any of you ever sucessfully kept a seahorse?  If so what did you do that worked?  I am just interested in seeing if it is worth it to ever consider getting any seahorses and how much work, time and money is involved.  Any experiences in this area are welcome.  Thanks.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2003 at 6:52am
HI,Kevin. Rob and I had the prettiest yellow seahorse for about a year. We kept her in a 20 gal specialty tank w corals and calerpa. She was very healthy,would eat frozen brine shrimp out of the turkey baster! We've got some cool video. One day she quit eating and died three days later. I still don't know why. I've never gotten another one, 'cause I have heard some breeds are becoming endangered. (how much the hobbist trade is contributing,I don't know.) There used to be a web site ,oceanrider.com where you can get a mated pair,with a pregnant male! You would have to grow rotifers, or maybe baby brine shrimp.Let me know how you do.Maybe we'll set up that tank again! See ya at the meeting! Suzy
dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2003 at 9:41am

I had a nice black std looking seahorse for about 6 mnths..  He was not captive bread therefore would only eat live food.  I had him in a 7 gal nano (No food competition)  I used to feed him 5 to 7 ghost shrimp a week..  I had to get rid of him because at this rate of feeding my water quality degraded quickly.  However he was always healthy and seemed alert. 

Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2003 at 3:44pm

If you get a captive bread SH it'll eat frozen food and be much eaiser to care for.  You also won't be hurting the wild population. From what I've read they are a bit tricky to keep, just be sure to do lots of reaserch fist.

http://www.seahorse.org/

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=35

http://www.oceanrider.com/

There is a ton of info at seahorse.org, and there forums are a good place to ask questions and get answers.   The other two links my have some more info as well.

Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2003 at 7:16am
I am probably the most read person on seahorses I know, yet still my first(and ONLY) attempt at seahorses came and went in a matter of days.  It was my own fault that they died, but I saw it as message to not keep them until I can provide them the best, most perfect home.  I really treasure these animals.  Oh sure I keep other fish and corals no problem, but I will not try seahorses until I know that I will be able to raise and breed them.  That probably means that I may never have seahorses again.  Because you just never know.  Please buy captive bred seahorses.  They are more expensive, but everything I hear says that they are hardy.  Another thing that may keep you from buying seahorses is that once you start looking at the different varieties (especially the ones on oceanrider) THEN you look at the price, you won't want to settle for just the little ordinary ol' mustangs.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2003 at 9:14am

I have kept and bred some species of seahorses.  If you have any questions please let me know.  They are time consuming to keep, but if you take the time you will be able to raise and breed them.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic