Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emperor Shrimp info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Acrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emperor Shrimp info
    Posted: May 10 2008 at 2:52pm
Hi,

I was thinking of buying an emperor shrimp to go in my 14g nano. I've seen them listed on several sites (and in local stores a few times), but none of the sites selling them actually have any information about them. I tried googling it also, but only really came up with pictures.

Does anyone here have any experience or information about these little guys? What do they eat?

Thanks for any help you can give.

- Dana
90g Reef
Acrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 8:56pm
I've seen them at The Aquarium, and online at LiveAquaria in the Diver's Den section.

http://bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=1959&cid=84

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=319600&highlight=emperor+shrimp

90g Reef
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 11:03pm

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Blue Zoo Site Blue Zoo Site wrote:

Diet Carnivore, Detritivore 

I assume from that info, that they would eat frozen brine, shrimp, silversides?  I couldn't find any info on them either. Confused

Edited by SSpargur - May 10 2008 at 11:12pm
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 11:31pm
From what I've read, these seem to be fairly uncommon in the trade and not much known about them.  Every article I've read so far, seems to indicate that they "hitch" rides on hosts in the environment (cucumbers, nudibranchs, star fish, etc.)  It appears that they hitch the ride and look for food as the creatures they're on move about.

From what I see, they scavange the sandbed, making them pretty good detrivores.  I'll bet that they will eat any meaty substance that doesn't get eaten by your fish as it sits on the bottom on the tank.

They look real cool, not sure I would want one, not knowing the exact method needed to care for them.

"Commensal shrimp living with nudibranches and holoturians. The antennal scales, flattened, give to the head a typical duck-billed appearance. The background colour is ornge-red. White spots are concentrated in an enclosed area on the back, or uniformly scattered in specimens living on the spanish dancer (below), or are missing completely. Legs and joints of the claws re purple. 2 cm.  Being associated with so many hosts, it is encountered in many different environments: bay or lagoon, back reef, reef front, external reef, deep reef.  With many different species of sea cucumber or sea snail. From the host it receives shelter (hiding underneath), help to find food (in the sand moved by the holoturian, for example). It have been observed feeding on the nudibranches fecal pellets. Colour pattern can change depending on the host, the camouflage being more or less effective. "

Edited by SSpargur - May 10 2008 at 11:54pm
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 11:59pm
http://zipcodezoo.com/Animals/P/Periclimenes_imperator.asp   Cool lookin critter!

Edited by Jeff Morrill - May 11 2008 at 12:00am
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
Acrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 12:15am
They're weird looking! But I think a cleaner or fire shrimp are a little large for a 12g. And I definitely want a shrimp!
90g Reef
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 1:25am
How about a sexy anemone shrimp or a pedersons?  They're small and very cool!
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Acrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 1:40am
I have sexy shrimp. I love them. What is a pedersons?
90g Reef
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 1:49am
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Acrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 2:06am
That's kinda cool! Can't find anyplace that sells them, though.
90g Reef
trunks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trunks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 2:52am
Originally posted by Acrid Acrid wrote:

That's kinda cool! Can't find anyplace that sells them, though.

Another option is a Randall's Pistol Shrimp. They don't grow very large like some other Pistol Shrimps can. I got mine at The Aquarium, so I know you can find them locally. Mine paired up with my YWG. They're a pretty entertaining duo.

This isn't a picture of mine, just an example I found on google images...

Edited by trunks - May 11 2008 at 2:54am
Acrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 3:50am
That's cool. I like the way pistol shrimp look, and think their burrows are funny. But I was always worried they would kill my other shrimp or do some other sort of damage. But mini-shrimp! I do want one!
90g Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 8:33am
You already have one! It is a type of sexy shrimp.

Mike

Acrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 1:17pm
The pistol or the emperor?
90g Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 5:28pm

Originally posted by Acrid Acrid wrote:

The pistol or the emperor?

I was refering to the Pederson's Shrimp that Sean posted a picture of.

Mike

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 12:52pm
I'd put a cleaner or fire shrimp in a 12 gallon in a heart beat.  I don't think that is too small a tank at all.

Edited by Will Spencer - May 13 2008 at 12:54pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 5:27pm
I agree with Will. I have a Peppermint shimp in a 10 gallon and he is doing great.

Mike

Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 5:43pm
You could get a Saron (Marble) shrimp, I am ordering one on our order tomorrow.  They grow to about 2 inches. When they are first put in the tank they need places to hide then after it acclimates it will wander the tank.
They are green during the day and look like this at night:

DebBig%20smile

Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 5:57pm
Cool looking shrimp!

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic