Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral identification and care

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral identification and care
    Posted: May 19 2008 at 10:42am
I am looking for a good book or base of information that covers coral identification and care.  Do you know of any good sources?  I am purchasing the Marine  Invertebrates and Marine  Fishes by Scott books  They are from Amazon.com.  I have noticed most of you have these books, and I see them in most LFS so I assume they are worth the money.  Is there anything else that I should need?
Vipers look cool at a distant, but be careful of the bite..its a killer!

Still to many cool stuff not enough money
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 11:51am
I know that the club used to have a library for member checkout.  Not sure if we still do or not.  Anyone from the Presidency chime in?
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 11:54am
We have one by Sprung that I like but it is super basic info as far as care for the coral goes.  There is another that I have been eyeballing, it is the one with the green cover I don't recall who wrote it.  I know Bob Carlson has it cause I saw it at his house Big%20smile he said he liked it. 
Wendy
Andreason's

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 12:19pm
Corals of the World by Veron, volumes 1 and 2 are the best for coral ID.  They're also very expensive.

I think the one that Wendy is talking about is "Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry and Natural History" by Eric Borneman.  I have this book and it's great.
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 7:55pm
Check out this website for coral ID, it's pretty good too
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 4:07pm
Thanks for the information... I will check out some of these book and see what fits.

Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2008 at 12:47pm
I have one that i would be willing to give you if you wanted it. pretty new, but too much for me
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

MrViper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 8:05pm
thanks i would appreciate it   pm sent

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 9:59pm
I believe the Green book is Corals by Borneman, but I could be wrong.

Also the club sold out it's library due to lack of demand and lack of returning items checked out.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Will Spencer Will Spencer wrote:

I believe the Green book is Corals by Borneman, but I could be wrong.

Also the club sold out it's library due to lack of demand and lack of returning items checked out.

I agree.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic