Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WS Maroon Clownfish Spawned!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WS Maroon Clownfish Spawned!
    Posted: March 05 2003 at 7:25am

Yesterday I noticed that my pair of maroon clownfish finally spawned!  I have had them since September 7th and they produced a clutch of eggs a short time ago.  The hard thing is that the eggs are in a slight crevis on the back of the tank.  It is actually difficult to see them, so I don't know if this is their first one or not, but still it is exciting to think that shortly I might be able to try to raise some fry!  The only reason I noticed the eggs was that the clowns were acting a little strange that day and I wanted to see what was going on, and to my surprise there they were.

On to a question about cultures.  What have people been using for fertilizer to produce 'green water'?  I figure that once I get that down, it is just a matter of placing that water into a rotifer, brineshrimp, and mysis cultures to provide an ample supply of food.  I have thought that I could use Miracle Grow or some others that disolve in water.  Any thoughts?

----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2003 at 8:37am
I've been looking into doing this as well - this site has some awesome stuff - steps to use and where to get fertilizer and so on.  www.sjwilson.net/reef.   Check it out!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2003 at 4:10pm

A hobbyist on the East coast, Joyce Wilkerson wrote one of the best books about breeding and rearing Anemonefish. I believe the club has a copy, if you want to check it out.

I wrote an article about my own experience raising Tomato Clowns. Let me know and I will email it to you. I used Mountain Corals' Velvet Green (see phytoplankton post) and rotifers and started my own cultures which were a lot of work. But it is satisfying to still be able to see one of my babies (now three years old) at Adam's house.

Mark [email protected]

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2003 at 7:02am

Mark,

I would love to have you send me that article.  You should have an email from me ([email protected]).

rfoote,

Thanks for the website.  I have looked at their setup before, but never took the time to investigate exactly what the process was.  It was very insightful.

----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2003 at 7:12am
I did a search on ReefCentral and found that the experience using other fertilizers such as Miracle Grow and such have been poor at best, and that the best thing to use is Micro Algae Grow from Florida Aqua Farms.  If anyone is using something else I would love to hear about it.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2003 at 7:39am

You want Guillard f/2 fertilizer from what I've heard.  Here is the info on Florida Aqua Farms site:

http://www.florida-aqua-farms.com/Section04/FAFwo4.htm

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2003 at 9:57am

Well, on Friday they hatched while I was out that evening, but I did get to see some of them in the tank.  However, none of the fry lasted for very long.  I guess its time to get some cultures going so I can try next time to raise some.

Thanks for the information on the fertilizer, and it appears to be the prefered way to go with algae cultures; however, I think I will give some other commerially available fertilizers to see what results I get.

----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2003 at 10:29am
The layed eggs again on Thursday, so I hope this is a regular thing.  That way I can try to see about raising some White Stripped Maroon Clowns.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2003 at 8:09pm

If they are like mine, they will spawn like clockwork, unless their spawning site is disturbed. If you follow the points in Wilkensens book and my article, you should be able to prepare for the next hatching.

Have fun,

Mark   "Thinking outside the box"

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2003 at 10:20am
I figure I will try a bunch of different methods that I have heard and read about.  Thanks for that article you sent me Mark.  It helps to see what other people have done.  Also I have read Joyce Wilkersons book, but I am not quite ready for aqua-culturing as I need to get some additional equipment to make that part happen.  I am thinking about using a few different dry and prepared foods that have been used by other breeders.  I will keep you posted.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2003 at 10:37am
I have my first culture of green water going now for about a week - it is looking good.  If when your ready I have the marco algae grow fertilizer - I bought a liter of it.  I'd just give you some to get started.  You only use 1 ml of it per 2 liters - so it should last for ever.  Let me know.  After I get a few bottles of green water going - I'd be willing to part with some of it to get you started.
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2003 at 11:40am

Well, the eggs hatched last night and I managed to get out quite a few of the fry.  However, this morning it appeared that I had about a 90% death rate as the majority of the fry were on the bottom of the tank.  I'll keep you posted as to what happens. 

rfoote, I will actually just purchase the stuff here shortly, but thanks for the offer.

----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2003 at 7:46am
Actually I had a 100% death rate, the ones that I saw swimming in the tank were mysis shrimp.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2003 at 8:04am

Was there something different between the hatching and rearing tank water?

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2003 at 2:17pm

I actually used a ladle to scoop them out, so the water in the tank was the same as in the hatching tank.  I think the problem was the tank I was using.  The tank as a plastic wash basin that I use perodically for coral cuttings and such, but it was un-heated (mainly because it was plastic).  So I think that the water reached a temp of about 65 degrees, and that is what probably did them in.  I placed in a piece of LR and turned an air pump for some circulation and oxygentation.

So as of right now I am assuming that I am not quite ready with all the equipment I need to raise the fry.  I really just need to get me a new heater for the main tank (one of the titanium ones with the digital read outs), then I can use that in the rearing tank.  Also I need to get a light source for them too, along with a timer.  Other than that I currently have a 5 & a 10 gallon tank that I can use as rearing and grow out tanks, two air pumps that I can use, so I think that I am only lacking a few things on the rearing tank. 

However, I don't have enough stuff for the aqua-cultures.  I have two florescent shop lights that I can use.  Then I still would need to get quite a list of things.  Here are the things that I have on my list of things still to get:

two air pumps (since my existing ones will be used in the rearing tanks), four three valve brass valves, ??? feet of flex air tubing, 10 1foot ridgige air tubing, 12 2 liter bottles, Mixing jug, Micro Algae Fertilizer (www.florida-aqua-farms.com),
Bottle of Green Velvet, Bottle of rotifers, Strainer/cup BB-PC 53nu (www.florida-aqua-farms.com), squirt bottle,Brineshrimp eggs (www.brineshrimpdirect.com)

----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2003 at 3:06pm

Don't really know if this is applicable or note as I know nothing about raising saltwater fish, but...

I once had a N. Leleupi (Afr. Cichlid) pair that wouldn't watch their young.  I built a small "house" out of fine stormscreen wrapped eggcrate.  Siphoned the fry into the house, added a couple algae covered rocks and closed the door.  I fed 'em liquid fry through the door for a week or so, then very fine flake.  The first week or so they could get through the screen (lost a few) and by about a month or so I just opened the door and let 'em swim out.  It didn't work as good as attentive parents, but some survived (10%).

It sounds like rearing SW fish is much more involved...

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 9:56pm

Comment on the last post by whitereef:

Unless washed VERY well with soap and rinsed and wiped clean, the container used for cuttings has toxic coral chemical residue which may have killed the larvae before they froze! I've seen stray hermit crabs die within minutes because they were in a container with cut leather coral. Live and learn

An unregulated air pump will move the water too fast for the larvae. Of course in the ocean they are thrown all around, but most of them are also lost. You will want to turn down the amount of bubbles coming out of the air stone/block.

The best heaters (my opinion and Randy Olsen, who uses a lot of heaters) are Ebo-Jeager. The Titanium ones often stop working.

To strain rotifers simply requires good disposable coffee filters!

Light over the baby's tank is only for seeing them so anything, not too bright, works.

Fish-4-U has used Velvet green since Tim Weidauer developed the company six years ago. They say something has changed lately. It's not the same as it used to be. It's as though it is being pateurized, because the cell walls are blown. It's harder than ever to keep cultures going. You might talk to Kris Fidone about this before you begin a culture.

Personally, I didn't bother with brine shrimp naplii because ground up brine shrimp worked (rubbed between your fingers).

My Opinion, Mark

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 9:18am
Thanks for the advise.  How do I contact Kris about the issue with the Velvet green?  If there is a real issue with the Velvet green, then what might be a good algae to aqua culture?  Also the ground up brine shrimp idea, did you use freeze dryed stuff or??
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 10:15am

Kris Fidone is at Fish-4-U (originally fish-r-us until toys-r-us made a stink about the name!) Telephone # is on the LFS page here on the WMAS website. Kris recently purchased the store.

Frozen brine shrimp rubbed between fingers (thawed first!)

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2003 at 6:49am
I know who Kris is, I find he gives out really good advise.  Thanks again!
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic