Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slight ammonia spike

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ajilon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajilon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slight ammonia spike
    Posted: June 05 2008 at 2:46pm
I just ran all my tests and the same nano that had the stray voltage is reflecting a slight ammonia and nitrate spike.

50% water change??
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 3:35pm
yup
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Ajilon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajilon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 3:38pm
I figured so much. I've got 5 gallons heating as we speak.

would this be a good time to clean the sand bed or will I make things worse? I usually clean the sand to the bottom in small sections when I do my regular water changes, but with this being a nano, there's not a whole lot of margin for error.

How long do I need to wait to retest with accurate results?
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 3:44pm

should be right away. You can put an airstone in there also should help out.

also before you do the water change check your PH if it is low.. your ammonia is not toxic to the fish. if you try to do a water change this will raise your PH and make that ammonia toxic....

I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Ajilon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajilon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 3:51pm
ph was coming in at 8.0
Phos: 1.0
Calcium 340
Nitrates 10
ammonia: 0.3
nitrite 0
alk: 140
mag: 1170

I have some major adjustments to make. What do you recommend?
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 3:57pm
Big water change like you're doing now.  Then after that retest to see where you're at with your levels and dose accordingly.
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 5:42pm
I wouldn't do a water change. Those numbers aren't seriously off. Even the ammonia is no big deal, because it goes away fast. I'll bet the coral look just fine. Am I right?
If it was my tank and I was worried about it, I'd leave the lights on longer or overnight to let the algae take care of the N. If I had no macroalgae in the tank, I'd just throw a small ball of cheato in there and let it eat up the N compounds.

Perhaps I've been at this hobby too long, but I find that the less I mess with it, the better it does. Too many hobbyists try to control things instead of letting the tank take care of itself. N compounds are food for algae. Algae is food for the critters and snails in the tank, which in turn provides food for the fish.Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 06 2008 at 5:44pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ajilon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajilon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 5:56pm
All of the corals except the xenia that I just fragged were fine. The silvertip wilted and died this morning. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 6:38pm
Oh, one more thing about the algae. It's growth will reduce the phosphate level.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic