FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colt Coral propagation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colt Coral propagation
    Posted: August 23 2002 at 9:48am

I have been strugling to attach a medium sized colt coral to a rock.  I have been using the toothpick method which has worked fine in the past with my xenia, but has not been working well with the colt coral.  Does anyone have a good proven method?  Also, if it requires purchasing any products please indicate where you bought them.

Jeremy

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2002 at 12:59pm

Jeremy,

I'll do my best to answer this.  Jake is probably the best person to contact.  email him at [email protected]

I would use a rubber band.  That to me is the best way.  Well second best, if you can let the coral grow onto another rock first, then split it that is the best.  But if cutting the coral, try placing the cutting into a hole or crevase in the rock, then holding it on by putting two rubber bands in an "X" pattern over the coral.  It should grow and attach in about 3 weeks. 

Steve Lopez has a method where he ties the coral on with fishing line and a needle.  This is common.  But what Steve does is he puts a small rubber band on the two ends of the fishing line.  Then he can pull the coral down tight over the rock by stretching the rubber bands to nearby rocks.  Make sence? 

just my thoughts,

Adam

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2002 at 2:02pm

I have never had much luck with the rubber band or tooth pick method when it comes to attaching "colts".  Colt sometimes take weeks to attach unlike Xenia that can attach in a few days.

I use the bridal veil method.  If you are not familiar with this method please come to the October meeting and I will be demonstrating this method.

I would explain now, but it is hard to explain without a live demonstration.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Chem Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2002 at 2:20pm

My friend Tom Miller has a patch of course LR rubble on one side of his tank that he uses for most types of cuttings.  He'll take the cuttings and let them lay in the rubble on the side until they attach on their own.  Then he can move/mount via supper glue.

-Jim

Jim LaMunyon

Richmond, Utah
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2002 at 6:33pm
I don't know anything about colt coral but I have used cyanoacrylate based superglue for lots of corals even xenia, to attach them to rocks and I have never had any problems.  I do think that this is a useful tool to have in your aquatoolbox. :)  You need semi dry surfaces on both coral and rock to be able to glue the two.  But, like I said, I don't know anything about colt coral.  You might kill it if you use this stuff.  I know that it is usefull on Acros, xenia, and for attaching stoney corals.  In my tank the acro even grows over the superglue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic