Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Salt Lake Reef Conference???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2004 at 6:40am
We could have it in Vegas!!! (or Wendover!)

If we could time it around an Aerosmith show, that would definitely
increase our attendance.....
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2004 at 7:59am
Im with Suzy... Wendover or somewhere close but somewhere that the other half can have a good time. Rob & other spouses might be a good sport about the meetings and what have you, but my guy wouldnt cross the street to attend a reef anything....If I want to play I need to go alone or give him something to do...
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2004 at 8:19am
I was teasing! Wendover bites!

Adam, I thought you are thinking about having it in town? Then,
your uninvolved need-to-see-the-light spouses can just go
shopping or fishing or mow the lawn!

(If you want to encourage your spouse to enjoy your hobby,
encourage him to get his own tank, then don't bug him! If he wants
to put ugly crawly snakey spidery things in there, just try not to get
too close!)
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2004 at 11:59am
We'd definitely do whatever it takes to support this, and to help make it run smooth.  With Diana doing the Public Relations, I think it would be fantastic.  Kudos to Diana - didn't we get some great things for our BBQ?  Loved it!  Go WMAS!
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2004 at 2:01pm

Yes we did get some great stuff for the BBQ and with Diana doing PR I feel very confident in our future endevours.  Actually, this whole topic was something I shyed away from for many years.  But now..... well I'm seriously considering heading this up.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ljbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2004 at 5:32pm
A day long conference would be great.  Count me in.  Of course you'd need a food break and if you book a nice hotel they often cater to such things.  Everyone has to eat somewhere so I  would bet that a nice catered meal would be acceptable and the extra cost would just be expected.  This club has really done some great things lately and I'm glad to be a part of it.
Linda Spencer
West Jordan
From My little corner of the sea
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2004 at 3:44pm

---------------------

Bringing back this thread

---------------------

So would you rather have a one day conference with 10 half our presentations from 10 people, or would you rather have 5 one hour presentations from 5 people. 

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2004 at 3:47pm
Depends on the people! If it is Seahorse Bob, then at least one hr. If it's a dude selling black powder, 1/2 hr will do!
Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2004 at 4:06pm
How about something in the middle. Like 7 speakers alotted 45minutes with 15 minute breaks in between with a hour lunch.  I've done some seminars before, I'd love to help. 
Cell 801 860-7333
SABEY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SABEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2004 at 6:47pm
COUNT ME IN LET ME KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO HELP HASNKS JASON
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2004 at 9:49pm
Fewer, but longer presentations would probably be more informative.
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2004 at 10:19am

Kirk had a great format for the seminars. Keep it under 45 minutes each speaker. Anything beyond that and it gets rather boring.

You can also invite vendors to set up outside of the meeting rooms and allow enough breaks in the general area for the conferencees to visit those booths and speak with the vendors. You can also do this around a lunch. Then, you can also charge a booth registration fee to help pay the cost or whatever.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2004 at 5:54pm

Karl hit the nail on the head.  If the vendors are going to be present then they will really push the event in their stores. 

This may have the "unfortunate side effect" of adding more hobbists to the WMAS. (I think the idea is great.) Now Karl don't come down on me for getting too mushy, but can we stay away from Valentines Day? 

I will third the motion on a 45 minute rotation with 15 minute breaks.

Maybe the five or six closest members could even be set up for a mini reef tour after the event?

Richard
Alpine, UT
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2004 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Carl Carl wrote:

Kirk had a great format for the seminars. Keep it under 45 minutes each speaker. Anything beyond that and it gets rather boring.

You can also invite vendors to set up outside of the meeting rooms and allow enough breaks in the general area for the conferencees to visit those booths and speak with the vendors. You can also do this around a lunch. Then, you can also charge a booth registration fee to help pay the cost or whatever.

Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2004 at 9:27pm

15 min breaks?  we don't need no stinking breaks!

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2004 at 8:38am

Originally posted by Richard L. Richard L. wrote:

Now Karl don't come down on me for getting too mushy...

I won't... but I WILL kick your butt for spelling my name with a K!!!!!!!

Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

15 min breaks?  we don't need no stinking breaks!

OK, now it's 20 min breaks... wanna go for 25? Watch your mouth tough guy! You just keep talkin'! Maybe we'll go for 30, how would you like that? Oh, ok... NOW THE ENTIRE FRIGGIN CONFERENCE WILL BE ONE BIG BREAK... HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT, HUH?

Edited by Carl
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2004 at 8:50am
Picture in you mind... about a hundred reef geeks standing in the hallway of the Grand America Hotel drinking coffee/oj, eating a donut and staring at each other... for 8 hrs.  Then driving home.    I'm in!
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2004 at 1:15pm
You know... that does sound like fun!
In Syracuse

Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2004 at 5:13pm

"C", I'm sorry. 

Ya gotta catch me first. 

And I 'm almost as fast as Suzy, as . . . well ok you win!

Richard
Alpine, UT
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2004 at 6:36pm

7 presenters for 45 minutes with 15 or 20 minute breaks sounds good to me.  As an instructor, I find myself swamped with questions during the break and for a while after class.  Depends on the subject, of course - but I have seen that happen with our presenters this year. 

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic