Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what can you put in the same tank as a Ray?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what can you put in the same tank as a Ray?
    Posted: August 24 2008 at 11:09am
I need help both with ideas for fish and Corals

I am upgrading to a 120 gal from a 65. I am suspending the reef and I have glued rock and crushed coral to the back of the tank. my wife wants to get a Crtez Ry. I am also setting up a 24 gal Nano. I currently have way to many corals and need to sell a few but I need to know what will work with a ray.
I know that zoo's are ok and there will be alot of those in there. Does any one know if ricordia will be ok? how about my anenome and clowns?

I will update my list of corals in a few - got to go install a new faucet in my bathroom.

please all help will be appriciated.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 3:04pm
All softies are OK. Most lps are fine. Clowns have a tendency to pick on the ray. Been there done that and wont do it again. My Ray is housed with a dozen or so Tangs, a couple  Anthia's, Allen damsel, and a lone chromis.

No sps, No file fish, No triggers, Be careful with clowns, Damsels and any thing else aggressive.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 9:16pm
Will the ray pick on anthing.?

Why no sps?
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 10:56pm
Sps are stoney (sharp) and can cut, bruise and otherwise harm the Ray. I'm sure there are others that have them in their Ray tank but I wouldn't risk it. You should also be careful of any sharp points on rocks or other protrusions. The Ray can swim very fast and will buzz the structure risking it running into something sharp.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Holdencraft 33 Holdencraft 33 wrote:

Sps are stoney (sharp) and can cut, bruise and otherwise harm the Ray. I'm sure there are others that have them in their Ray tank but I wouldn't risk it. You should also be careful of any sharp points on rocks or other protrusions. The Ray can swim very fast and will buzz the structure risking it running into something sharp.
I second the no SPS policy.  They have no scales to protect against scrapes and their eyes are on top so they can't really see where they are going all the time.  My rays cruise all over the rocks and would probably get hurt if there were SPS sticking out.
I keep a bunch of kinds of fish with my rays.
The stock is 2 rays (one big one small), a med sailfin tang, camel cowfish, large mandarin, bicolor blenny, spotted puffer, and a huge sea hare.  In a 180 gallon tank full of zoos with a few cloves and mushrooms.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 12:18am
Originally posted by CrimsRayne CrimsRayne wrote:

Originally posted by Holdencraft 33 Holdencraft 33 wrote:

I second the no SPS policy.  They have no scales to protect against scrapes and their eyes are on top so they can't really see where they are going all the time.  My rays cruise all over the rocks and would probably get hurt if there were SPS sticking out.
I keep a bunch of kinds of fish with my rays.
The stock is 2 rays (one big one small), a med sailfin tang, camel cowfish, large mandarin, bicolor blenny, spotted puffer, and a huge sea hare.  In a 180 gallon tank full of zoos with a few cloves and mushrooms.
I third the motion, no sharps!!! Softies and zoos. Who wouldnt want a cool zoo tank with a ray cruzin about?
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic