Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPS Coral Coloration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stephan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SPS Coral Coloration
    Posted: September 02 2008 at 3:46pm
I have some plating montipora in my aquarium that has been doing great- good growth, can see the polyps extending, and overall looked nice to me. Then I saw a frag of the same coral in someone else's tank and the color difference was pretty noticeable. His was bright green with purple edges, mine has some green but mostly looks brown with white edges.

So now I want to see if I can make mine look like that. Any thoughts about what may be the cause or what I can check?

Tank info- I run carbon , skim 24/7, monthly water changes...  I never test my water. Until now everything looked fine to me, so I never bothered. Have a refugium. 2x175 W halides (14k)on a 65 gallon tank.

Stephan Lovstedt
Camarillo, CA
65 Gallon Glass
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 3:50pm

browing sps is a sign off excess nutrients.  Your bulbs could also be going bad. Mine start to lose color whent he bulbs go bad. that when i know to change them.

how old are yours? also cheap bulbs dont seem to bring out color as well
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic